Clearing Cache

Old 03-19-04, 09:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I combined his programs list into one image and posted it for you all to see. It's at http://www.bartlett-family.net/mike.html

WOW, we have a boatload of work to do, Mike. Ok, let's take this one program at a time.

ACDSee.
Do you use this? I DOUBT IT, especially since you obviously use Paint Shop Pro. Remove this.

Adobe Acrobat 4.0 & Adobe Acrobat 5.0
There's obviously something wrong here. You have two versions of the same program. Remove 4.0 and leave 5.0. Acrobat is just a good program to have.

ArcSoft PhotoFantasy & Arcsoft PhotoImpression
These are both image editing programs. Once again, since you obviously use Paint Shop Pro, I'd remove these as well. They probably came bundled with an HP device. HP and ArcSoft are very good friends.

b3d Projector
This doesn't seem to be spyware, but it is from a company called "Brilliant" and they are associated with Kazaa. DON'T trust it. Follow the instructions at THIS URL to remove it completely.

BroadJump Client Foundation
This is some kind of client software for your broadband (I assume you HAVE broadband) internet access. Read the post I made above regarding the CFD in msconfig. I'll bet that you can uninstall this, but I'd check up on it and verify it with your ISP first before you do. 99% sure it can be removed, but check first.

Citrix ICA Client
Ah, Citrix. It's been many moons since I worked with you... I miss you so. LOL, this is probably for your work, I would imagine? You probably know what it is, so I won't bore you. Leave it.

DelFin Media Viewer
Spyware, REMOVE IT.

eFax Messenger Plus
I asked this before, but do you use this program? If so, keep it. If not, remove it. It also probably came with an HP device.

Enhanced MediaLoads
REMOVE IT.

Event Planner
I said this before in my previous post, I DOUBT you need it. If you use this event planner software, keep it. If you don't use it or don't even know what it is, remove it.

Hallmark Card Studio 2004 Deluxe
Probably came with the Gateway or with another device you added later (printer, scanner, etc). Again, if you use this software, keep it. If you don't use it or don't even know what it is, remove it.

HP Photo Printing Software
This PROBABLY includes your printer driver, and as much as I hate the way companies do it, leave this alone.

HP PrecisionScan Pro 3.1
Leave it alone, it's your scanner software.

HP Share-To-Web
Now, THIS you don't really need at all unless you use it. You probably don't, so I'd say remove it. This was a startup item.

ImageMate CompactFlash USB (SDDR-31) Ver. 5.05
Do you have a USB card reader? It MIGHT be part of one of your HP devices, my guess would be the printer. Leave it.

Internet Explorer Q824145
IE Patch, leave it alone.

InterTrust InterRights Point & InterTrust Music Pack Manager
I don't think it's spyware, but from what I read I can guarantee you that it's useless. Try removing it through Add/Remove Programs, but you may have to use the more advanced removal techniques I found at THIS URL. Anyway you slice it, remove them BOTH.

Juno
This probably came with your Gateway. It's an ISP (like AOL) that provides free and/or cheap internet access. Unless you use it, and I doubt you do, remove it.

LiveReg & LiveUpdate
These are programs Norton Antivirus uses to update. Necessary if you keep Norton Antivirus. I THOUGHT you had the whole Norton Suite. You don't. Norton Antivirus by itself is fine, so go ahead and keep these, as well as Norton Antivirus. Not my personal favorite, but it is good, nonetheless.

MediaLoads
REMOVE IT.

MGI PhotoSuite
Yet another photo editing software package. Again, since you obviously use Paint Shop Pro, why do you need this? Remove it.

Microsoft Money 2002 System Pack
You MIGHT use this, I don't know, but I doubt you do. It probably came with your Gateway system. If you don't use it (and you probably don't), remove it.

MS Office XP Media Content & Small Business Edition
Obviously, you want to keep this, BUT you can probably remove the Media Content part, unless of course you use it. I've never met anyone who did, but that's me.

MSN Messenger 6.1
Do you use this program? I DOUBT it. It comes with Windows XP. If you don't use it, remove it.

New.net Domains 5.48
REMOVE IT.

Norton Antivirus 2003
Go ahead and keep this, but make sure that if you do, you buy their service and keep it updated. If you want to, you can uninstall this, LiveReg, and LiveUpdate and replace it with AVG antivirus. There is a thread at thetop of this forum created by tae about "essential, free programs" and AVG antivirus is one of them.

NVIDIA Windows 2000/XP Display Drivers
For your videocard. Keep 'em.

Ofoto Easy Upload ActiveX Control
My guess is that this came with a digital camera. Something about transfering photos through your browser. I HIGHLY doubt you need it. Remove it.

Outlook Express Update Q330994
Leave it, of course.

Paint Shop Pro 7 Anniversary Edition
God, what a great program. Leave it, of course, and remove all the other photo editing programs. They pale in comparison. PSP is second only to Photoshop, and I still prefer PSP...

PC-Doctor for Windows
REMOVE IT. Unnecessary.

Phone Tools
No idea what this is, but it probably has to do with your 56k modem. Do you make calls from your PC? Do you do anything with the PC and phone at all? Doubt it. Remove it.

PS/2 Millenium Keyboard
This is there for Gateway's specific keyboard. You know all those little programmable buttons you have on the keyboard? Do you USE them, or just the regular keyboard itself? Most people don't use those programmable buttons, and if you don't remove this program. Your keyboard will still work fine, just the programmable buttons won't work. Who really cares? HA!

Quicktime & Real Player Basic
Personally, I hate these programs, but they ARE necessary to view certain video formats (.mov files for Quicktime, .rm/.ram/etc files for Real Player). IF you use these programs, keep them. If you never have, remove them both. You can always download them for free later on if you find you ever need them.

SafeCast Shared Components
REMOVE IT.

Shockwave
This is a browser plug-in, but a useful one. Keep it.

smart Card Reader
Again, this has something to do with a smart card reader you must have somewhere. Leave it only because I don't know your setup well enough to tell you otherwise! It's certainly not hurting anything (I don't think).

Trellix Web Express Site Building
This came with one of your HP devices, I'm sure. Useless, remove it.

TurboTax Premier 2002
Great programs, but since you always have to buy the latest version every year (because the tax laws change and you always need the most recent software), remove it! If you do use TurboTax software to prepare your own taxes, make sure you ALWAYS buy the most recent version every year and remove the previous version.

WildTangent Updater & Web Driver
SPYWARE. REMOVE THEM BOTH.

Windows Media Player Hotfix[
Leave it, of course.

ZoneAlarm
This is ENTIRELY up to you. I'd remove it. It's a personal PC firewall that probably came with your Gateway (or maybe you purchased it seperately). With all the spyware on your machine, it obviously doesn't do a very good job. I've never liked this program, and while I'm sure people will disagree with me, I'd say remove it. It just chews up system resources left and right and offers little to no real protection. Remove it.

That's IT! That's my advice program by program. You can remove a LOT of that stuff. Now, here's the thing. When removing any given program, it might say that another program is dependent on it. If that happens, follow all necessary instructions. Also, some packages might tell you that you have to reboot to complete the uninstall. Only reboot after you have gone through the ENTIRE list (unless you try to remove a program that says a previously unfinshed uninstall needs to be completed).

Also, when all these programs have successfully been removed and you have rebooted, run ADAWARE and SPYBOT to clean up any remnants. Always a good idea.

When all that is done, we will look at the registry and services. We're halfway there, Mike.

Talk to you later,

Chris

Last edited by WorldBuilder; 03-19-04 at 10:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-04, 09:44 AM
ZR600
Visiting Guest
Thanks man, I feel like I should be paying you. I will get on this right away and keep you updated.

Old 03-19-04, 09:51 AM
I work here for free, Mike. It's what I'm here for. Besides, once I actually get into my first house (I'm closing at the end of March), I will be taking much more info than I will be giving, I'm sure.

I came to this forum originally to get info on DIY stuff. I just happened to notice that there is this computer forum, so I decided to help out here. The site admin said I could moderate it, and that would be nice, but it hasn't happened yet. No worries. When they want me, they'll tell me.

I know computers (my profession), but I don't know jack about most home repairs. That's what I'LL take away from here. Trust me, Mike. Don't pay anyone anything, but DO help others with something in this forum (anywhere in the forums) if you know the answer to their problem. This is a community, and that's what communities do. It all works out evenly in the end...

Looking forward to continuing. Take your time.

Chris

Old 03-19-04, 10:02 AM
ZR600
Visiting Guest
Last post before I start removing crap. First off, you would be a great moderator, so I hope they listen/read. Second congrats on the house!! I am in the Mortgage business and have owned many homes over the years, that is always a fun/stressful/happy time. If you need any ?s answered I am much better at "handy man" work then computers, but I live and die by my computer and I should learn all this stuff. but you know how it goes.

As for the internet and DIY and other help areas. I try to give back as much as I can. I live to sled(snowmobile) and I lurk around on those sites and try to answer as many ?s as I can. I love the net.

Will update after I remove the fungus on puter.

Take care

Old 03-19-04, 10:49 AM
ZR600
Visiting Guest
OK, I removed a total of 22 programs!! Is that alot? I rebooted, it seemed a bit faster. What is the next step?

Thanks tons!!

Old 03-19-04, 11:36 AM
Download, UPDATE, and run Adaware. Remove anything it finds. Make sure that after you first install Adaware, you update it. THEN run it and delete everything it finds.

Then, re-email me the new Add/Remove programs list, please.

Old 03-19-04, 12:16 PM
ZR600
Visiting Guest
I just sent you two more screen prints.

Old 03-19-04, 12:35 PM
Looks much better. I saw the programs you have left. As long as you use them...

Now, check msconfig again, and let's look there. Some of the items will be gone because some of them had to do with programs you have now removed. What's in the startup tab of msconfig now? We'll see what we can remove from startup.

Chris

Old 03-19-04, 02:43 PM
ZR600
Visiting Guest
I sent you a screen pring of the msconfig, I think it looks good. What do you think?

Old 03-19-04, 05:09 PM
Looks much better. Just so everyone can see, the new msconfig is at http://www.bartlett-family.net/newstartup.gif

Ok, let's uncheck qttask first of all. You use Quicktime, and that's fine, but there's NO reason for it to run at startup. It'll run only when you open the program.

Next, uncheck CFD. This is that "Broadjump Client software". Again, I think it might have something to do with your ISP. Do you know? I would do this. Uncheck it and see what happens. If all still works fine, leave it unchecked. If something screws up (like the web stops working), recheck it and leave it.

Uncheck AOL. I thought you said you hated AOL?! Get rid of it. AOL is a speed killer.

Uncheck that Preload thing, too. That's the keyboard (unless you do use those programmable buttons). Do you?

Uncheck MsnMsgr if you don't use MSN Messenger

Do those one at a time so we can find out if anything causes trouble.

Next, we'll hit the registry.

BTW, is your system booting faster? It should be!

Chris

Old 03-19-04, 05:14 PM
ZR600
Visiting Guest
Thanks alot. I will do this later tonight or Sat morn and post.

Movie night with the wife!

Take care!

Old 03-19-04, 06:06 PM
Sounds good, Mike. I'm off to a movie with my wife as a matter of fact as well. Tonight, it's Lady & the Tramp. She just loves Disney. Ah the things we do...

I am going over to my new house tomorrow (we don't actually own it yet, not closing until the 31) to put in a drop ceiling, cap off a gas pipe, put up a railing and paint the front steps. Have to do it for the flippin' mortgage company. Won't be home until tomorrow night.

After msconfig'ing (is that a word?!), please go to the registry area I told you about in an earlier post. I forget it off the top of my head, but read back over the whole thread, I said it somewhere.

Go in there (the "Run" area) and screenshot that, too. BTW, in case you want to or have the time, Google for anything you see in there. That's a great way to learn what something is. If you Google for it, find it, and learn that it's nothing you care about, delete it on your own. You certainly don't need MY approval!

I will catch you later, Mike.

Chris

Old 03-20-04, 05:39 AM
ZR600
Visiting Guest
Good morning Chris! How was the movie? We rented SeaBiscuit, it was a very "happy feel good" movie....

Well, I tool a look at that registry thing by doing what you said, Start, Run, regedit. I dont think I want to screen print this. There are TONS and TONS of programs in this thing. I did click on the Hkey_local_machine\software etc etc link. Is that the only one I need to worry about? Like I stated, there are tons of things in the whole Registry and the local machine.

I will just do one quick screen print and e-mail that to you and see what you think. My computer did boot up a bit faster today but I still think it is way to slow.

More work to do I think.

Old 03-20-04, 05:05 PM
Hey Mike. Back from working now. Loooooooong day! Never saw Seabiscuit.

Regarding the registry, you want to go to:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

List what's in there and we'll see what we can hack.

Chris

Old 03-20-04, 05:09 PM
i have learned a lot from this thread. these issues are possibly my problem, brand new compaq (3 weeks old) w/AMD2800, 512 meg ram 120gig hd, win xp home. i referred to this problem in an earlier post, but think you guys are on the same page. available memory (ram) never over 210meg, have adjusted startup config and deleted some programs, as suggested. that regedit seems like some serious stuff, although i think i see some unnecessary items. mind if i email my info to you chris? i would appreciate it.

thanks
mike

Old 03-21-04, 02:45 AM
ANYONE in this forum can e-mail me at ANY time. Perfectly fine with me, guys. Semper Fi!

Mike, I will once again be at my new house today, all day. Might not be there quite as long, but we'll see. Anyway, let me know what's in the "Run" registry area and we'll get crackin' on that tonight.

Semper Fi!

Chris

Old 03-21-04, 05:22 PM
Mike, just got your e-mail. Sorry, been working all weekend.

Ok, you were in the wrong place in the registry. You need to make sure you start in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, not HKEY_CURRENT_USER, which is where you were.

Go back into the registry, collapse (hit all the minus signs) everything so as to return to the very beginning. Then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Screenshot that and send it on over so I can post on the web. We'll have a look.

hvac,

I'm going to look at yours next, be back with you in a few...

Chris

Old 03-21-04, 05:27 PM
hvac,

based on your other threads and what you've said, I'd definitely say that you are having a similar problem to Mike's. Start from the very beginning of the thread and basically do the same things he's done: msconfig, add/remove programs, etc. YOUR setup is different, so you will have different programs, but Googling and some basic common sense is really all you'll need. Definitely post back here step by step if you like and I'll help out. The e-mail you sent was of your task manager which doesn't tell me a lot. I did notice some things in there that SEEM to be "Compaq" programs. I can tell you right now that you don't need any software from Compaq as they're just going to be diagnostics and ultilties that hurt as much as they help.

We can have you crankin' in no time, too!

Welcome to the fun!

Chris

Old 03-22-04, 03:13 PM
Hey Mike. Ok, got the registry setting.

First thing, to remove an entry, just right click on it and then select delete.

Note that deleting things from here does NOT affect the program itself. All it does it keep the program from running at startup.

First things first, delete AOL.

Delete Quicktime.

You still haven't told me if you use the keyboard buttons. If not, uninstall that software and delete this registry key (Keyboard Preloader) if it's still there after the uninstall.

I'd remove GWMDMpi. It's software related to your modem, but it's only a patch. GWMDMPI is a software patch (fix) for internal modems on Gateway 450 and 500 series laptops. It fixes a problem in Windows XP where the audio settings of your modem are not remembered unless you install this fix. That's all it does. Not really a big deal!

Leave the rest of it. Looks fairly clean to me overall.

BTW, I now have to ask. Is this a LAPTOP?

Lemme know!

Chris

Old 03-22-04, 03:42 PM
ZR600
Visiting Guest
Hey Chris, this is not a laptop....this is my home pc. Why?

Do I still need major help? I dont want to take up all your time.

Mike

Old 03-22-04, 05:50 PM
tae
Sounds like you are just about done. Hopefully you have learned alot. Will make it easier next time.As far as taking up anyone's time, that's what we are here for. It's like our hobby.It's fun.Chris(worldbuilder) has done an excellent job and hopefully alot of people will learn something. After saying all that....................... Let me just say........this has taken 5 days.......a format and clean install would of taken about 2 hours. (couldn't resist!) lol

Old 03-22-04, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by tae
Sounds like you are just about done. Hopefully you have learned alot. Will make it easier next time.As far as taking up anyone's time, that's what we are here for. It's like our hobby.It's fun.Chris(worldbuilder) has done an excellent job and hopefully alot of people will learn something. After saying all that....................... Let me just say........this has taken 5 days.......a format and clean install would of taken about 2 hours. (couldn't resist!) lol
C'mon, tae... You of all people should know that formatting and reinstalling:

A) Would have done little in the case of an OEM computer with an OEM restore CD.
B) Should ALWAYS be the LAST resort.
C) Doesn't really teach anything. Anyone can do that...

Maybe it's because I mainly work on *nix machines, but formatting and reinstalling is almost NEVER done, nor should it be.

Chris

Old 03-22-04, 07:35 PM
64 replies. This posting is getting out of had. LOL

Old 03-22-04, 10:15 PM
tae
I split the thread to start a new one for "tweaking" xp.
The new thread is here:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hreadid=162955

Old 03-22-04, 10:48 PM
Should ALWAYS be the LAST resort.

Doesn't really teach anything. Anyone can do that...

Maybe it's because I mainly work on *nix machines, but formatting and reinstalling is almost NEVER done, nor should it be.
Absolutely could not agree more. One of the things that really irritated me when I started visiting this forum was all the "format and reinstall" posts I saw. I've always said that f&r is the lazy man's way out.

However, there is a time and a purpose - with OEM, there's more time and much less purpose.