Clearing Cache

Old 03-18-04, 06:58 AM
ZR600
Visiting Guest
Clearing Cache

Hello, I am running a Windows XP on a newer Gateway system. I am not "joe computer" and I would like to know how to clear out or empty my Cache. Can someone show me how?

Thanks much!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-04, 07:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You mean browser cahce and temporary internet files?

Couple of ways, but here you go with one:

1. Click Start
2. Click Settings
3. Click Control Panel
4. Double click Internet Options
5. Click Delete Files
6. Check the "Delete all offline content" box
7. Click OK
8. From there, you can also clear your history and/or delete cookies, too, but that is all up to you.

HTH,

Chris

Old 03-18-04, 07:19 AM
ZR600
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply! I already do clear my Temp Int files, I go to the tool bar, then to internet options and I clear my temp files and off line content. Does that clear all the images from website? I surf the web tons and I think my computer is getting bogged down.

Old 03-18-04, 07:33 AM
Yeah, that clear most of the images and what not from the sites you visit, just make sure you check the "Delete all offline content" box when you do it. You should also delete cookies, although be warned that doing that will clear any passwords and usernames you use to login in to certain sites (such as DIY here)! All that means is that you'll have to login again at those sites instead of being automatically logged in.

In XP, you can go to the temp int files folder in "My Computer" manually and delete any leftovers yourself the folder is at:

C:\Documents and Settings\YOURUSERNAME\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

Feel free to poke around in there.

HTH,

Chris

Last edited by SafeWatch; 03-18-04 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-18-04, 07:44 AM
ZR600
Visiting Guest
Thank you very much!!

I appreciate it!

Old 03-18-04, 10:03 AM
las
Visiting Guest
clear the cache

Sounds like you got mozilla..just go to edit and preferences
then go to advanced tab..then you'll see the cache..I delete the memory cache and also the disk cache
Now If you are using I.E. cache would be referred to clearing your off line content and delete temporary internet files
you just go to control panel and click on to internet options

Old 03-18-04, 10:43 AM
ZR600
Visiting Guest
Where do I find the "edit" that you are talking about?

Old 03-18-04, 11:20 AM
He's talking about a browser called Mozilla. I don't know why he thinks you're using it because you're not. You use Internet Explorer, right? There is no "edit" in IE.

Old 03-18-04, 11:30 AM
ZR600
Visiting Guest
Yes, I have IE. I think what you said before I have been doing. So I think I am good. But my systems seems so darn slow esp at boot up, takes me 3-5 minutes to boot up. Any thoughts? I have tons of digitail pix in my folders, and I want to keep them due to my screen saver. I don burn them to cds for back up.

Thanks for the help

Old 03-18-04, 12:05 PM
Well, the amount of things you have on your HDD has little or no bearing on bootup speed. What does affect bootup speed is the amount of programs/services you have starting. Running XP, there are already an insane amount of useless seriveces that start up. On top of that, there are probably programs you have installed that are slowing you down, especially since this is a Gateway.

Tip #1
Virtually ANY OEM computer you buy will come loaded with tons of garbage you don't need: utilities, etc. Gateway probably install some utilities that they created "Gateway utilities". You can delete them.

Before any of that, though, let's go through some basics. Open "msconfig". You can do that through the following steps:

1. Click Start
2. Click Run
3. Type "msconfig" without the quotes, then hit enter
4. Click the Startup tab

There will be a (probably enormous) list of programs there. Take a screenshot of that entire list. Do you know how to do that? A screenshot? If not, I'll tell you. The bottom line is that I want to see what's starting up because I'll bet we can shave several minutes off your bootup. 3-5 minutes is ABSURD. Your computer is fairly new, you said? What kind of processor does it have? We should be able to get the boot time to under a minute easily.

Secondly, after you find out what is in msconfig startup, let's go to the registry. Don't be afraid...

1. Click Start
2. Click Run
3. Type "regedit" without the quotes and hit enter

You Registry will pop up. Now, go here by clicking the plus signs next to the text you'll see on the left:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

List here ALL contents of that "Run" area. Those are also things that run at startup.

We'll do this one step at a time... First, let me know what's in MSCONFIG. Screenshot if possible, otherwise you'll have to type it all out, and that'll suck.

Let me know,

Chris

Last edited by SafeWatch; 03-18-04 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-18-04, 12:06 PM
Oh, and BTW, clearing browser cache won't make any noticeable difference in performance.

Chris

Old 03-18-04, 12:35 PM
ZR600
Visiting Guest
Hey thank you very very much. I will try this out and let you know. I just love this website.

Thanks again!!

Take care

Old 03-18-04, 12:41 PM
ZR600
Visiting Guest
OK, I just printed your reply. I do not know what a screen shot is? Funny I am 36 and have been working on computers for the last 10-15 years and I am still a rookie, although I use it for internet, dig pix e-bay and spreadsheets etc etc. But this boot up thing is really bothering me. You asked what I am running, all I know is it is a pent 4, I have no idea what gig etc etc. When I bought it I told him I wanted the best and fastest I could get out of the box at that time. I need to step away for 10-15 mins then I will check back and try some of your things.

Thanks again

Old 03-18-04, 12:44 PM
las
Visiting Guest
slow system

I know I Installed norton anti virus on my 98/SE
It slowed the system down to a turtles pace so
i uninstalled it...suddenly the system got fast again
so unless you have the very best computer today
you gotta watch that norton anti Virus..It's a huge download
and i wouldn't use It In anything less then the very best computers..maybe go to AVG 6.0 Instead watch your computer speed up?

Old 03-18-04, 12:54 PM
ZR600
Visiting Guest
OK I am back I am going to read your reply and try some of your ideas.

Old 03-18-04, 12:55 PM
ZR600,

No worries. We'll do it all one step at a time. Just let me know everything that is in msconfig first, and we'll go from there. Even the slowest P4 should only take a minute or less to boot, so there are definitely things we can do to get you up to speed!

Chris

Old 03-18-04, 12:58 PM
ZR600
Visiting Guest
I did the first part msconfig like you said, there were programs that came up how can I show you those with the screenshot?

Old 03-18-04, 01:03 PM
ZR600
Visiting Guest
OK since you are willing to help me out, THANKS. Is there a quicker way to communicate? Or is that agaisnt the rules. Private e-mail or phone? If not no big deal. I could call.

Old 03-18-04, 01:03 PM
Hit "Prt Sc" to copy the screen to the clipboard (this will <i>only</i> be what you see on the screen.) Now you can go to your paint program and paste it in and save it.

However, you will still have to upload it to a webserver somewhere to link to it in the forums. You may be better off just copy and pasting the list to the forum.

Good luck!

Old 03-18-04, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by ZR600
OK since you are willing to help me out, THANKS. Is there a quicker way to communicate? Or is that agaisnt the rules. Private e-mail or phone? If not no big deal. I could call.
Policy is to keep it in the forums - but there are PM and E-mail buttons, I'll say no more

Old 03-18-04, 01:12 PM
ZR600
Visiting Guest
OK when I type in the msconfig I have 3 options, normal, Diagnostic and selective. I then click on the start up tab on top and programs come up but I dont think it is out of hand, no more then 20 programs listed.

Old 03-18-04, 01:20 PM
That's probably about a dozen too many - but it would depend on which ones they are.

If you only have 20, just go ahead and list them. We'll figure out which are necessary and which are not. Systray, Explorer, AV, Firewall, etc. are necessary - pretty much everything else is trash. You can always come back an re-enable them later if you don't like the result (the only difference would be that that particular program is not running.)

Old 03-18-04, 01:22 PM
ZR600
Visiting Guest
Hey, thanks, I tried to copy the list but it would not let me copy and paste.

Old 03-18-04, 02:46 PM
First of all, let's keep it in the forums if you don't mind. I know it's a little slower, but we WILL get there, and that way, EVERYONE benefits. It's just the better way to do it. After all, this thread could help others without them having to ask a question.

Ok, to get a screenshot step by step (You need a graphics program like Paint Shop Pro or something to that effect):

1. Open msconfig and click the startup tab
2. You will see the list.
3. While holding the Ctrl button, press the Prt Scrn (or Print Screen) button on your keyboard. It's generally above the "Insert" button.
4. Ok, now open your graphics program and PASTE (by pressing Ctrl-v) that as a new image.
5. Now, you should have an image of your entire desktop in front of you. Cut out everything except the list of programs.
6. Here's an important note: IF the startup program list is scrollable (ie you have to scroll down to see them all), you will have to REPEAT steps 1-5 for each time you have to scroll you make sure we get the entire list. If you have to do this, make sure that each copy and paste is a new image and that you're not just overwriting them.
7. When you have all these images, e-mail them to me at [email protected] and I will post them on my webserver and link to the from here so that everyone can have a gander.

20 programs listed? I, myself have 10, and that's a lot (but I do it on purpose). 20 is too many. If it's easier, just type them all in EXACTLY as you see them, and we'll go from there.

Chris

Old 03-18-04, 03:02 PM
ZR600
Visiting Guest
Thanks much!! I will do this but probably wont happen till Friday morning.

Old 03-18-04, 03:18 PM
ZR600
Visiting Guest
Hello again, I just sent those "screen prints"

Let me know what you see.

Old 03-18-04, 03:20 PM
I got 'em and will post links to them as soon as I can for everyone to look at. Hopefully tonight.

Chris

Old 03-18-04, 03:28 PM
ZR600
Visiting Guest
Thanks, I know there are programs in there that I do not need.

Take care

Old 03-18-04, 03:34 PM
tae
Dont forget an obvious reason for your computer to slow down is adware/spyware. Download adaware and update it, then run it. it is free and can be had from here:
http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=506

The main site and more info is here:
http://www.lavasoft.de/

Old 03-18-04, 05:57 PM
Ok. First off, I combined the two images into one. This is the entire list right here. On your second image, ZR, you had OE in the background and I didn't think you would want people to see that!

The image is on my website at this link.

First item?
SK9910DM.exe
I'd never heard of it before, but here's what it is:
Background task found solely on Gateway PCs and which provides support for the Gateway multimedia keyboards so that you can configure and use the one-touch programmable keys, the volume controls, etc..

In other words, it's a Gateway ONLY program that runs there keyboards. If you only use the regular keys (not using any of the weird programmable buttons) on the keyboard, get rid of this. Actually, get rid of it anyway. Come to think of it, do what I originally said. Get rid of ALL Gateway programs like utilities, applications, etc. They are NOT necessary and are actually hurting your performance.

Next up, qttask
This is the Quicktime startup program. Not necessary. Remove it, too. You can use Quicktime without this stupid thing running.

Next, CFD
Never heard of this either, but I located this information:
BroadJump Foundation Client from BroadJump.com, now Motive. After reading the description of this product on the BroadJump website, it is clear that some of the functions of this software are what we call adware (software which collects information on your Internet activity and sends it to your ISP so that your ISP can serve you advertisements related to the type of sites you visit). This program typically gets installed when you install software from the Comcast ISP (which took over @Home and MediaOne), although at the time of writing, 31-Mar-2003, Comcast is not the only ISP which uses BroadJump’s software (Southwestern Bell DSL, BellSouth, Charter).

Recommendation :
We are against this type of spyware/adware software, as you know. Additionally CFD creates conflicts on Windows XP which result in users experiencing problems or lack of Internet access when logging off and logging back on as a different user. Again on XP, CFD has been seen to slowly but surely gobble up resources and memory, ending up running at 95% of CPU resources and an impossibly slow PC. You’ve guessed it : de-install "Broadjump Client Foundation" through "Add/Remove Programs" in the Control Panel, and/or disable BJCFD, or its newer incarnation, CFD

There you go, man. Remove it!

Next, ccApp & ccRegVfy
Simply put, these are Symantec Norton programs running in the background. I'm sure you know what Norton is, so I won't bother to explain it. On a PERSONAL note, I don't like Norton programs. They cause more problems than they solve and slow systems down in the process. My advice would be to remove ALL Symantec products from your PC, get AVG antivirus instead, and don't worry about the other Norton programs because they aren'y worth it. Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. --Dennis Miller

Next, NEWDOT~2
Never heard of this either, but from what I have found out, it's spyware. Instructions for removal and some basics of exactly what it is can be found at http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs...sages/210.html

Next on the hit list, wcmdmgrl
This checks for periodic updates of Wild Tangent Web Driver over the web. It's more SPYWARE!

On to AOL
You must know what this is! Do you use AOL? If not, uninstall ALL of it. If you do use it, STOP IT! j/k. Even if you use it, this entry can also be removed because there is no need for AOL to start at system boot. You start it manually.

Next is hpgs2wnd
I've heard of this before. It's an HP program. Do you own an HP scanner, printer, or camera? Useless program at startup. Remove it from startup.

Next up? SandIcon
Never heard of it, but it's this:
SanDisk ImageMate CompactFlash card reader SDDR-31 (USB). Very little use except to place the Sandisk icon beside its drive designation in Windows Explorer. The reader itself will work fine without it. The simplest thing is to just unplug the reader when you're not using it. It may slow the startup by a few nanoseconds, but once the software sees there's no reader, you get back the resources
In other words, remove it from startup as well!

On to PgMonitr
This is an application that is associated with the advertising product from The Delfin Project. The application is loaded to the system by the file sharing application kazaa. REMOVE THE PROGRAM!

Next up, RUNDLL32
Looks like it's for your graphics card. Leave it right where it is!

And... dw
No idea... Would need to see the entire path. My guess. Spyware

what about Preload?
More Keyboard crapola. Removing the Gateway software should eliminate it.

And GWMDMpi
Didn't know, but looked it up. They are modem related software on Gateway computers. I'd GUESS that you can safely remove it if you don't use your modem.

MsnMsgr
Simply put, this is the MSN Messenger program. Do you use MSN Messenger? If not, uninstall it.

eFax.com Tray Menu
Something to do with a program called eFax. You know of it? If not, uninstall it.

Event Planner Reminder
Something to do with a "Sierra" software program. I don't really know what it is, but I HIGHLY DOUBT it needs to be run at startup. Disable it and see what happens. It seems to just be an event reminder, like a little popup that tells you when it's your anniversary! More than likely useless.

Live Menu
Something else regarding "eFax". If you use this eFax program, keep it. If you don't know what it is, uninstall it.

ZoneAlarm
This is McAfee ZoneAlarm. You prbably know what it is. Personally, I hate it and would never use it, but it's entirely up to you whether or not you want to remove it.

That's the entire list! It sounds to me like you are running an awful lot of spyware loaded programs, and other programs like Kazaa, Bearshare, or other P2P programs. Are YOU running these, or do you have kids who also use the machine? FYI. Kids are AWFUL at keeping computers safe. They will unknowingly download spyware left and right. Run Adaware, SpyBot, and if I were you, uninstall Norton everything and replace it with AVG.

Running Adaware and SpyBot should remove a lot of those startup items, but before you go running Adaware, I'd remove as many "unknown" programs using "Add/Remove Programs" in the Control Panel as possible. That's the best place to start. Just GUT the machine of ANY program you don't use or at least KNOW. Ok?

The only reason I suggest using Add/Remove Programs first is that Adaware will often remove files, but not whole programs. However, it will leave some of the program that no longer has an uninstaller.

Finally, please get me a screenshot of the REGISTRY area I told you about a few posts ago. We'll also see what's in there AFTER you run all this stuff.

Hope that helps, friend.

Chris

Old 03-18-04, 06:14 PM
ZR600
Visiting Guest
Man, WOW, thanks tons!! Alot of the programs like you stated I do not use. ESP AOL I hate it also. I need to print this and start removing stuff. I will post on Friday with the results or ?? I am sure more ??s.

Have a good night!

Old 03-18-04, 06:29 PM
ZR600
Visiting Guest
OK, I am really this stupid. To remove all of the stuff I dont want, where do I go? I know a little bit on how to get to the add/remove but a little more help would be greatly appreciated.

PS. Chris, I just printed your post and showed it to my wife, and she told me to tell you thanks to!!

Also, we dont have kids but over the last couple years many people have used this computer. Me included so I cant wait to clean it up a bit.

Have a good night!

Mike

Old 03-19-04, 03:28 AM
You're very welcome, Mike.

Ok, the firt thing I would do, as I said, is to actually try removing programs using Add/Remove.

1. Click Start
2. Click Settings
3. Click Control Panel
4. After the window opens up, double click "Add or Remove Programs"
5. Another window opens listing all programs on your machine
6. A good rule of thumb is: If you don't know what it is, uninstall it.
7. When you are done removing things through that medium, close those windows and reboot.
8. If you want, repeat the screenshot procedures for everything in you programs list there, and I'll pick those apart for you, too.

Now, you have Norton, McAfee, Quicktime, AOL, MSN Messenger, among others and if it were ME, I'd remove them all.

Start that, and we'll go from there. Like I said, if you wish to show me the whole list, you can screenshot and e-mail me again, that's fine.

In addition, after this is all done, there's still MORE we can do to speed you up! Services, tweaks, etc... When we're done, you'll have a whole new machine!

Ah... XP hacking... Always fun! LOL

Talk to you soon,

Chris

Old 03-19-04, 06:02 AM
las
Visiting Guest
Lot's a programs I didn't need

I'm not saying for one minute I know evrything cause I surely do not..however I could of told anyone that there might be a lot of programs certain people do not need..all these additional programs are doing Is slowing your system down and/or contributing to that effect?for example I do not use sound or
plug and play I figure I do not need all that stuff so I uninstall
them but you got to know what Is important and what ain't before you uninstall programs...go Into control panel and click
over add/remove programs and you can run threw the list of
all the stuff you already have Installed...but have In mind that you cannot uninstall the I.E. It comes fixed with windows

Old 03-19-04, 06:11 AM
las
Visiting Guest
Installed programs

yeah I'm just wondering myself If they make a computer
that can handle all those programs you got Installed
Well I'm shocked that you figure you can get away with that?
Uninstall em and report back here o.k.

Old 03-19-04, 06:23 AM
Re: Lot's a programs I didn't need

Originally posted by las
...but have In mind that you cannot uninstall the I.E. It comes fixed with windows
Yes, you can.

Chris

Old 03-19-04, 06:53 AM
ZR600
Visiting Guest
OK, I went to the add/remove programs. I have quite a few in there, but I dont see any of the names or titles that were on the list that you sent me.

Help please

Old 03-19-04, 07:18 AM
Screenshot the list, Mike. E-mail it to me, and we'll repeat the msconfig process. Those PSP files you sent are fine. I use Paint Shop Pro, too.

Old 03-19-04, 07:32 AM
ZR600
Visiting Guest
Just sent you 4 screen prints.

Old 03-19-04, 07:53 AM
Lemme put 'em together and get back to you. Probably going to be a rather large image. Will do it asap.

Chris