Scan disk-Ad-aware Question

Old 03-18-04, 10:57 AM
las
Visiting Guest
Scan disk-Ad-aware Question

O.K. here Is my question..I always run the quick version
of scandisk and ad-aware because It takes too long to do the complete version all the time of these programs.Are the short faster versions just as effective or am I missing out on
something here by not running complete versions as often?

Old 03-18-04, 11:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
As far as scandisk, the only thing that would make scandisk take an incredibly long time is if you do a "surface scan". That can take half past forever. Surface scans are completely unnecessary unless you think you might have a HDD problem that you want to find out about. My advice is to NOT run a surface scan unless you think there's reason to, otherwise the regular scandisk will suffice.

As far as Adaware is concerned, what scan are you running? The complete Adaware scan really shouldn't take too long at all...

Chris

Old 03-18-04, 12:58 PM
las
Visiting Guest
Ad-aware Quick system scan

What I do Is click the bottom option for the quick system scan
for ad-aware usually all It take Is about a minute but It always seems to find something all the time

Old 03-18-04, 02:37 PM
B
Some of what you see from the Adaware scan is cookie tracking. I think if you hover the cursor over the subject, it will tell you what it is. You should do the deep scan. It only takes a little longer. Also download and run Spybot. Between Adaware and Spybot, you should find any spyware on your pc.

Old 03-25-04, 07:34 PM
D
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If you don't run a full scan with Ad-Aware, then it's not doing much for you, a minute is barely enough time to scan maybe 1/4 of the registry. Set the scan options as thorough as you can and let it do a full scan, you might be surprised what it finds.

Old 03-26-04, 07:18 AM
las,

Just to let you know... When I do run Adaware, I run a full system scan. I have 480GB (yes, 480) of HDD space to test. It fully scans everything in under 3 minutes. No reason for you to run anything else but a FULL system scan. It won't take too long, and it's worth it.

Chris

Old 03-26-04, 07:52 AM
las
Visiting Guest
ad-aware

most of the time also when I run ad-aware It always finds something...Iquarantined two on my new windows xp yesterday
and my windows xp Is running ad-aware a lot faster then my windows 98/SE did?

Old 03-26-04, 08:04 AM
Well, XP is a faster OS, but more importantly is that I'll bet the XP OS is on a faster, more powerful machine...

Chris

Old 03-26-04, 08:08 AM
las
Visiting Guest
windows xp

yup

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: