Boy do I need help..( adding a slave Hard drive)

Old 03-18-04, 07:53 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Boy do I need help..( adding a slave Hard drive)

I’m helping out a neighbor who’s Windows 98 PC had developed major hardware problems recently with her Daewoo motherboard and video card
(Trident) . The chip fan was noisy, the PC would freeze up and blue screen errors etc etc. ( but no virus’s though) . This PC was 366 mz PII wirth 32 MB ram.

It turns out her Husband has a computer HP 6280 series 350MZ with 32 MB ram, Windows 95 and hardly used it. Her hard drive contained years of word files, jpgs and emails to her livelihood of running local cat shows ..

So my easy( ? ) mission , should I take it, would be to take her HD of 4 GB out and try and salvage parts out of this PC like an extra 32 MB stick to add to the HP PC and to add this win 98 hardrive to the HP as the slave to the master HD of another 4GB .

Initially I wanted to just add the Harddrive to the HP as Master, but upon boot-up I got the message ‘invalid media type. So I figured because the computer started with and contained windows 95, it may be better to format the HD and go with windows 98 as well. Because basically both computers are similair. ( Like it ain’t an Apple so it should work.)

Sounds easy enough, until when booted up master to slave (with the correct pin settings on the MAXTOR Fireball CR series.) I get the same error message “ invalid media type hit any key.” So I take the hardrive off , I want to keep, and reformat the win 95 to win 98 se, on the initial HD it came with. ( might as well make them both the same .)

After I get that done. I get this message on the HP: “in order to finish all hardware settings and setup you must reboot.” Well I get the same message over and over., even though the win 98 has no error’s in device manager (except for audio and modem/network devices to get new drivers to work) But all hardware like CD rom/video drivers/ and floppy drives work.
So I decided then to upgrade the win 98 to ME windows as they have more device drivers available on the CD than the win 98 disc.

After that install, I get the same message! “In order to finish the hardware settings it is necessary to restart the computer” .. Huh ? …. So frustrated as I was I then reformed the C: drive ( master HD on HP), and reinstalled Win 98 again. Same message again .. I’m getting mad now..

Ok well let’s forget about that problem and concentrate on the slave relation with the 1st computer to second HP computer. (invalid media types)

I have found that both Hard drives are not partitioned (NTFS only) and do not have fat 32 . Shouldn’t be a problem.. Or is it?? Do you have to fdisk a 4 GB to partion to fat 32; in order to add the NTFS to the mix ?

Could someone please advise me on where to go with this. Or should I just tell the neighbor to forget about you files and start with a new O/S and if we do that, what is with this silly message I keep getting about restarting to finish all hardware settings upon bootup in windows 98 ??

Sorry for the long letter but I wanted to get all my facts out on this..

Old 03-18-04, 09:18 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have found that both Hard drives are not partitioned (NTFS only) and do not have fat 32 . Shouldn’t be a problem.. Or is it?? Do you have to fdisk a 4 GB to partion to fat 32; in order to add the NTFS to the mix ?
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this (I think it may be a simple misunderstanding of terminology) - because only Win2k and WinXP use NTFS - but, if the "not partitioned" part is true, then don't worry about the data. Without major recovery costs, it's probably already gone (although there are some progs out there that supposedly recover lost partitions - never tried them.)

Just another thought - why not reinstall the drive you want the info off of back in the old computer and try to save some data on it first. Then Fdisk and Format both drives and start over. By the way, just because you Fdisk doesn't mean the disk will start the computer - you have to Format the disk with system (/s).

Good luck!

Old 03-18-04, 11:32 PM
tae
Then Fdisk and Format both drives and start over
Make sure the fdisk shows the proper size drive, and the partition is set to active.
If you fdisk'd then you need to format. Also, an ntfs drive can't be seen by a fat32 drive. Other things: make sure bios is set to auto detect, or has the drives listed in the proper order. make sure the "master" is at the end of the ide cable, and the slave is in the middle.
Would the hp have it's own boot sector?

maybe some useful links:
http://www.computerhope.com/sfdisk3.htm
http://www.computerhope.com/fdiskhlp.htm
http://www.computerhope.com/help/hdd.htm

Last edited by tae; 03-18-04 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-19-04, 05:48 AM
I'm confused. Have you already formatted the HDD from the woman's machine (the one with all the Word files, e-mails, and pictures)? If you have not, do you know this HDD works? Or is it dead completely?

All you should have had to do was this:

1. Remove HDD from woman's computer and put it in the Win95 computer as a slave.
2. Upgrade Win95 to Win98 on the original HDD of the husband.
3. Boot into the new Windows 98 and you should then see the other HDD (would probably be an e:\ drive or something) so that all you can do is pull files off of it.

That should have been it.

Chris

Old 03-19-04, 11:21 AM
T
the hard drive I want to save to another computer works fine.., I have seen it a number oftimes i nthe last couple days, BUT only on the opriginal PC not the HP machine.. This is the computer I want to transfer the HD to as either master or slave.

If it is slave I can drag over all the files I need. If it is Master I won't have to do that. Trouble is when PC reads the HD as slave it reports to me.. " invalid media disk' or if I install as master it reads NO O/S available.

Old 03-19-04, 11:34 AM
Ok, so the HP computer (WITHOUT hooking up the other HDD) works fine, and has Win95, right?

And after you add the other HDD to it as a slave, it does what. It boots? It doesn't boot into Windows 95? What happens. Where and when do you get these error messages.

If it does boot into Windows 95, do you see the other drive's contents in Windows Explorer?

Chris

Old 03-19-04, 12:04 PM
T
The HP with master HD ( win 98 now, ) works fine... But as soon as I add the second harddrive ( with saved files from other computer), it reads 'invalid media type'.. when I boot up the HP..

If I change the pin configuration from slave back to master and then put the HD on the master IDE cable and try and run the HP it then reads. " NO O/S present ".. If I take the harddrive and put it back into the original PC ( 366mz PII) it boots up fine and I can see all files.

BUT that computer has problems with motherboard and cpu fan, so that computer will be ditched eventually,
I am trying to save the files from that HD to the newer HP which is also PII 350 MZ ......

Old 03-19-04, 12:32 PM
Take the HDD from that has the files you want and place it in the HP on the SECONDARY IDE controller, not the primary. In other words, replace the CD-ROM drive with the second HDD, setting the second HDD as "master" on the secondary controller. Assuming that works, then transfer your files, shut down, put the CD-ROM back in, and you're done. Try that.

Remember to have the BIOS set to AUTO detection of IDE devices.

HTH,

Chris

Old 03-19-04, 12:56 PM
T
good idea i'll try it later

Old 03-19-04, 01:23 PM
T
SUCCESS !!!!!!!!!

Great tip... I luv ya...

Ok now new quest here:

What is the best way to change my C: drive (win 98) with all pertinent files etc from the D: drive ( cd rom) ..

because I will have to change the D drive back to CD rom..

I would like to have original desktop to work work..

plus the C drive only contains outlook 5 where D drive contains outlook 6 with all address's in address book etc.

Plus printer drivers and corel setup ertc etc etc etc.. I really want the D drive to be C drive for programs and app's only The O/S of win 98 se is on both hard drives, abut the PC only recognises C drive as proper O/S at this point..

Old 03-19-04, 02:04 PM
Glad you got it working!

I'm confused. Once you transfer over all the files you want from the old HDD to the new one, just disconnect the old HDD and hook the CD-ROM drive back up. It'll go back to being your D: drive.

What do you mean by "original desktop"?

Here's what you need to do...

Currently, you have NO CD drive, right? Ok. The Win95 HDD is the C: drive, right? Ok. The Win98 HDD is the D: drive, right? Ok.
Let me know if this is wrong!

Assuming all that is true, all you have to do is copy and paste all the files from the old HDD to folders somewhere on the new drive. As far as printer drivers and such, you'll simply have to reload those onto the new machine after you're all done moving files. As far as Outlook Express is concerned, you will need to locate the data files for it from the Win98 machine. They are WAB files. I'm no Outlook Express expert, but search MS Knowledge Base and you should find some articles. Basically, copy those WAB files from the old HDD to the new one and replace the WAB files. I THINK that'll do it, but someone else who knows OE better should back me up OR correct me. I still suggest searching the MS Knowledge Base.

Then, when all is transfered, remove the Win98 HDD, put the CD-ROM drive back in its place, reboot, and you should be done.

HTH,

Chris

Old 03-19-04, 02:16 PM
T
Yeah the win 95 ( actually it used to be..., it is now WIN 98 se, just like the D drive HD is )., is C: and the old original to keep winse 98 is D: it has all the drivers and app's in it for word 97, corel, plus outlook 6 instead of outlook 5 ...

I think I might format the C: drive to ME windows that will give me more current drivers and outlook 5.5 would be easier to 'find and drag over the files I need from win98se . Plus it should get rid of my errors i have now in C: drive that I listed in my first post..

anyways.. Great doing business with you..

I like this bulletin board. I meet nice people like yourself.

Old 03-19-04, 02:35 PM
I wouldn't even bother formatting C: to go to WinME. If you want the latest version of OE, you should (although I might be wrong) be able to just go to Windows Update and download the newest versions of IE and OE to the C: drive. That way, you'd have identical versions between what's on the D: drive and what's on the C: drive. The OS really has nothing to do with it. You can get OE6 for Win98SE (can't you?).

That would certainly be faster than formatting and installing a new OS.

HTH,

Chris

Old 03-19-04, 02:35 PM
R
Windows MyEnemy is worse than Windows 98. Do not use MyEnemy under any circumstances. Stay with Windows 98 or move up to XP.

Old 03-19-04, 02:36 PM
Oh, and thanks for the kind words, mate. That makes it all worth while.

Cheers!

Old 03-19-04, 02:46 PM
I totaly agree with him. Do not winme for any circumstances. That OS was a mistake. Either stay with Win98 SE or upgrade to WINXP.

Worldbuilder, I know of all the problems that WinME has, but can you tell me why Microsoft put out a OS like that? I mean, what went wrong? I have been trying to figure out ever since!

Old 03-19-04, 03:08 PM
Terminator, call me Chris.

Why did M$ put out WinME? Why do lemmings run off the cliff? HA!

Who knows!

Windows Millenium was a huge mistake and caused more problems than anyone imagined, including MS. That's why they basically killed it ASAP after XP came out (which was very soon after ME).

Chris

Old 03-19-04, 03:55 PM
T
Well part of the problem here is Win 98 is no longer supported by upgrades and the like from M$.., ME windows has more device drivers in their .cabs than Win 98 did., I can't use Xp because this processor is only 350 MZ , 64 MB ram., I have used ME windows in my own personal home cimputer since Oct 2000 and have loved every minute of it. The system resources is a godsend, and also you can use msconfig / winipcfg /scanreg/scanreg \restore and scanreg \fix in the run bar over windows 2000.

so this O/S will do the trick for emails and internet searching with OE 6 and IE 6 ...

thanks

Old 03-19-04, 04:48 PM
Good luck then, ttodd! Let us know if we can help further.

Chris

Old 03-19-04, 04:54 PM
Chris (worldbuilder) this is going to shock you! My name is Chris Too! And did I not here that Chfite is also named Chris? If so that means we have at least 3 Chris's in this forum

Old 03-19-04, 05:01 PM
We do indeed!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: