Windows 95 refuses to see CD drive

Old 04-05-04, 08:18 PM
Bishop
Visiting Guest
Everything I touch urns to ????

Hey Guys,

Today I downloaded another bootdisk form Bootdisk.com, Loaded it I thougth per instructions, the monitor blinked the system restarted on it's on, and then says I/O error. The A: prompt is gone. I just turned it off and walked away before I got a hammer and was going to put it out of my misery.

I had Windows 3.1 working great, the hard drive worked, the A: drive worked, but the CD drive was still not working, so I thougth I'd try another boot disk.

Now the A: is gone, the CD still doesnt work, and I'll try again tomorrow after some decaf coffee.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-04, 11:36 PM
I have read alot of this post. And how you are still having problems. It sounds like to me something really major went wrong with this computer of yours. Like your Mobo is fried, or just the controller or something. Or your power supply is not working properly, or your bios are not set right. Mabie these are things to consider to diagnose. What do you guys think on this one?

Old 04-06-04, 07:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Re: Everything I touch urns to ????

Originally posted by Bishop
Everything I touch turns to ????
LOL, we've all been there. I have read and reread this post over and over and I swear I get more confused each time. I'm sorry to say I'm throwing in the towel on this one. If I were actually sitting in front of it I'm sure I could get it working, but I have a funny feeling your problems run deeper than what's being discussed here. My advice is to cut your losses. Seems to me that too much time has been spent already, and since time is money, I think it behooves you to just quit now and find another solution (perhaps another cheap computer from a show).

I hope no one thinks I'm a schmuck here, but this is too far gone, I think. I hope it works out, Bishop!

Chris

Old 04-06-04, 05:31 PM
I agree Chris. This computer seems to be a pain in the but. Best not to waist anymore time on it and buy yourself a new computer. You can allways go to the computer sonics website and you will find cheap computer there.

Old 04-06-04, 08:32 PM
Bishop
Visiting Guest
More time than money

Thanks guys for all you help, but I'm not giving up. I just had to walk away for a bit, but I'm going to get this thing up and running.

I started out with a commodore 64, then a commodore 128, then a Tandy (I forgot the Model) but it ran at 4.77mhz, that was fast for it's day, then 12mgz mirror image IBM Tandy, the text card was $200 alone, the color graphics card was $250, then 16mgz, then the Pentium 90 WOW what speed, I stopped at a Pentium 350mhz, and I'ts still running, I'm using it now, it's good enough for a retired person with a 56K dialup.

I have more time now than money, but I'm healthy.

I will not give up yet. Thanks to all

Old 04-06-04, 08:57 PM
Re: More time than money

Originally posted by Bishop
Thanks guys for all you help, but I'm not giving up.
Oooooooooooooooooooook then.

Let's start over. Please state the exact problem as it stands right now, and everything you have already tried to fix it. Let's begin again.

Chris

Old 04-09-04, 11:52 AM
Bishop
Visiting Guest
Bishop again

Hey Guys, Just to give you an update I started over.

I unplugged everything, plugged everything back in Formated the hard drive again and loaded DOS 6.22 from 3 old floppies.

At system startup, the memory is OK. Both hard drives are seen: Both CD drives are seen One Master, and One Slave... One ATAPI 40X CD drive Master and One ATAPI 52X CDRW Slave....

I'll try this weekend to install windows and start again with trying to make the OS see the CD drives.

I get A:, C:, and D:, now, any advice would be helpful

Thanks to all

Old 04-09-04, 12:56 PM
Ok, so A: is obviously the floppy, C: is obviously the HDD where DOS 6.22 is currently loaded, but what is D:? Is that the second HDD? Or a CD drive? Probably the second HDD, right?

Ok, put your bootable Win98 FLOPPY disk into the machine, and change over to the A: drive. Run "mscdex" from the floppy. There is information on mscdex at this site. Once that has run, you should get a drive letter for the CD-ROM drive. Then, you should be able to simply place the 98 CD in the CD drive, type "setup", and be off to the races!

Chris

Old 04-09-04, 01:08 PM
I had an identical problem with an old Gateway computer. It didn't recognize the CD's because I had upgraded both of them AFTER the computer was built. There were floppies with both CD's that had the .inf files that W95 wanted. The system works fine assuming that W95 is ALREADY running when you try to install them. If your hard drive crashes and you have to reload W95 from scratch you might have problems. During the initial install from the boot floppy you will be confronted with a menu of options that asks you to select which kind of CD drive you have. If your CD isn't on that list read my solution to the problem below:

Let me try to explain what, I think, was happening when I tried to boot W95 from a CD. If you start from the W95 boot floppy it will start the load and eventually give you a menu of CD's to choose from. In my case the CD wasn't on the menu. That's where the troubles would start. W95 was trying to get a CD initialized so it could continue with the load when all the stuff from the floppy was in. In my case I had MSDOS recognizing the CD and could go to that to continue the W95 loading but eventually enough of W95 was loaded in and the loading process told you to reboot. When you did that W95 would take control. Now, because W95 never did recognize the CD, you couldn't bring in the rest of the OP system because W95 would always ask "give me a drive letter so I can bring in the rest of the system". It wouldn't recognize the CD so the load would always fail. I can tell you I tried EVERY combination of things I could think of and over a period of several days I got VERY frustrated. Success finally came because I had installed a second hard drive. I got MSDOS up & running and recognizing the A drive, C drive, D drive, and one of my CD's was at the E location. I did a disk copy of all the stuff on the W95 OP system CD to my second hard drive D. Then, I inserted the W95 boot floppy and followed all the directions, only I didn't try to initialize any CD's when the instructions said to, I just bypassed that operation. When W95 asked "where am I going to find the rest of my op system" I answered D:. Now, the software loaded the rest of W95 fine because I could always get W95 to recognize my second hard drive at D. When the loading was complete and W95 was in control I could THEN initialize my CD's at their proper locations using the .inf files I had for both CD on a floppy disk. Nothing else I tried worked.

Those are the facts....and I'm sticking to my story.....

Last edited by jughead; 04-09-04 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-09-04, 07:19 PM
Bishop
Visiting Guest
Yes, the same problem

Without backing up too far, this gateway 350 was working fine when I got it, the CDs were seen, the hard drives were seen, and the W95 came on a Cd, I thought I was doing a good thing by reloading W95 to "clean" or start fresh, but as soon as I reloaded W95 by CD, and after the system restarted, BOTH CDs were gone, and that started my crusade.

The CDs are not seen by W95 but are seen by the system, MY LUCK, my old W95 on floppies, the "1st" setup disk is empty, erased. So I'm stuck trying to get the CD drives going by various boot disk attempts.

Tomorrow I try again

Old 04-09-04, 10:40 PM
My point, Bishop, is that yes everything MIGHT have been fine. My computer was fine as well UNTIL I tried to do as you have done. That is, reformat the hard drive and reload a clean version of W95. In my case I KNEW that the CD's had been replaced with newer versions, because I did it myself. I went from Windoz 3.12 to W95 when it came out. There were a lot of fancy stuff available on CD's but the old CD drives that came with my Gateway P5-60 wasn't fast enough to run the stuff right. I replaced the old drives with newer, faster stuff but never reloaded W95 from scratch. I just loaded the new drivers and went through the install proceedure. W95 was then replaced with a W98SE upgrade disk. One day I did as you did and decided that my old Win system was crashing too often and to do myself a favor and reload & reformat the hard drives and start again from a fresh version of Windoz.

I believe that you have the same problem now that you've done the same thing I did. You might get MSDOS to recognize the CD's fine but if you can't get your CD's recognized when you first start loading W95 because your drive doesn't happen to be on the menu list that W95 throws up on the screen then I predict you will have difficulty getting the balance of the op system loaded from that very same CD. Back in the W95 dark ages CD technology was advancing rapidly and a lot of the higher speed drives came out AFTER W95 was written so where never included as possibilities in their boot disk.

In my case W95 would continue to load & grind for almost an hour and waste a lot of my time before it would either just crash alltogether or error out in some loop that was impossible to exit. It was VERY frustrating. If you have a simular result just save yourself a bunch of time and use MSDOS to copy the W95 CD to a second hard drive and load W95 from there. Then initialize the CD's once W95 is up & running.

Last edited by jughead; 04-09-04 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-10-04, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by WorldBuilder
Ok, so A: is obviously the floppy, C: is obviously the HDD where DOS 6.22 is currently loaded, but what is D:? Is that the second HDD? Or a CD drive? Probably the second HDD, right?

Ok, put your bootable Win98 FLOPPY disk into the machine, and change over to the A: drive. Run "mscdex" from the floppy. There is information on mscdex at this site. Once that has run, you should get a drive letter for the CD-ROM drive. Then, you should be able to simply place the 98 CD in the CD drive, type "setup", and be off to the races!

Chris
Try these instructions ^^^

Let me know if that helps. Do it one step at a time, and stop if you recieve any errors. Post here about those errors and we will address everything one at a time.

Chris

Old 04-13-04, 01:42 PM
Bishop
Visiting Guest
HEY IT WORKS GREAT!!!

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for all the TIPS and LINKS ya'll gave me about the Original $10 Gateway Computer, ended up costing me $40 total by the time I got it working again.

Both CD drives are seen, both HDD drives are seen, Windows loaded right up and this morning I got on the internet with the computer in the barn.

Don't get me wrong, the barn is OK, it has AC and Heat and now has internet to work on my green house stuff.

Everything on this computer works great now.

My thanks to everyone!!!!!!!!

Old 04-13-04, 01:45 PM
tae
WooHoo! Perseverance pays off. Good job!!

Old 04-13-04, 02:08 PM
w00t!!! Great job! Glad we could help, it's what we're here for.

Chris

Old 04-13-04, 10:32 PM
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Glad to here you got a computer working. One that was a real stumper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-19-04, 08:29 PM
Bishop
Visiting Guest
Is Windows ME Trash?

Hey Guys,
My $10 Gateway is working GREAT with W98, EVERYTHING WORKS.
Remember while I was working on the $10 system, I ordered Windows ME Upgrade CD on EBAY, It came in, the CD loaded but the Factory KEY CODE on the back will not work.
I contacted the Seller and he refunded all my money and said to jus keep the WME CD, so no hard feeling.

I saw on TechTV that they concidered Windows ME "The darkest day in Windows history."

SHould I forget Wme and go for W2000 upgrade? I sure can't afford WXP.

Windows 98 is working great, but soon support will be gone I hear.

Old 04-19-04, 08:48 PM
Skip Windows ME. $100 for XP is a better investment.

Old 04-20-04, 08:53 AM
Windows Me was M$'s biggest failure. It's garbage, really. Even they know that! Go to 2000 or XP for sure.

Chris

Old 04-20-04, 09:53 AM
What can I say that other's haven't already said? Windows MyEnemy was a mistake from the outset. Throw the CD away and don't look back.

If your system can handle it, to to XP. if it can't handle XP then stay with Windows 98. Only consider 2000 if you can do with not having support for certain games.

Old 04-22-04, 08:48 PM
Bishop
Visiting Guest
Windows Upgrade is next step

Hey Guys,

My desire to upgrade from Windows 98 is mainly for my house computer, the one that "ADWARE got into" and somehow charged my only online credit card about 20 different charges, ranging from several $1 charges to a $59.90 charge to download music. I've never downloaded music, but my Credit Card I use online got picked up by ADWARE. I've been assured by the CC company, all fraud charges will be taken off.
Back to my reason:
I've already bought two programs that will not run on W98, ome needs W98se, the other at least WME.
to keep up I've need more than W98.

Old 04-22-04, 08:53 PM
Bishop
Visiting Guest
I'm too old for games

I forgot to say, I don't have any games on my systems, I'm too old at 55 to play game programs.

The game I like to do is trying to make an old $10 computer system work, and thanks to you all, "IT"S ALIVE."