Windows 95 refuses to see CD drive

Old 03-24-04, 11:39 AM
Bishop
Visiting Guest
Windows 95 refuses to see CD drive

Hey guys I hope someone can help me,

I picked up an Pentium 350 system for just a few pennies at at auction and want to use it in my barn, the computer works great, but after I reinstalled the W95 system to update what I thought was a good thing, windows 95 fails to see the CD drives.
At startup, the system sees both hard drives and both CD drives, one is a rewriter 52X the other is a 40X player. But after W95 loads the CD drives are not there.

The 40X CD drive worked until I reinstalled windows, but now neither is seen by Windows 95.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-04, 12:37 PM
Go into device manager and have a look, are there any devices with yellow ! over them? Also look under the Disk Drives section and make sure a hard disk is listed.

Last edited by Davejb; 04-04-04 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-24-04, 12:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'd be willing to bet that there is a driver issue with the secondary IDE controller since that is most likely what the CD drives are on. Like Dave said, any yellow exclamation points in device manager?

Chris

PS. Upgrade to Win98 if you can.

Old 03-24-04, 04:01 PM
Bishop
Visiting Guest
Yes, Yellow !!

Do remove them?

Old 03-24-04, 04:08 PM
Well, you can try removing them, then rebooting allowing for Windows to find them, but my guess is that won't work. Most likely, all you need are the proper drivers for the secondary IDE controllers (I assume those are what is yellow?). Locate your motherboard CD and install the drivers from there. If you don't have the CD, open the computer, find out what manufacturer and model motherboard it is, and search the web for drivers for that motherboard.

However, like I said before: IF you have the ability to upgrade to Windows 98, I'd do that instead. More than likely, Windows 98 will have the proper drivers already, and if not Windows Update almost certainly would.

HTH and post back with further problems,

Chris

Old 03-24-04, 06:40 PM
Locate your motherboard CD and install the drivers from there.
Umm, I may be wrong, but I think he may have a hard time loading drivers from the CD...

But, I do agree, you probably just need the drivers for the MoBo - especially if it has a Via chipset.

If you have internet access with that computer, you may want to try downloading the drivers from the manufacturer, or try running Windows Update to see if it will have it for you.

Good luck!

Old 03-24-04, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by SafeWatch

Umm, I may be wrong, but I think he may have a hard time loading drivers from the CD...
LOL. That was pretty STUPID of me to say! HA! My brain is definitely fried, man...

Originally posted by SafeWatch

But, I do agree, you probably just need the drivers for the MoBo - especially if it has a Via chipset.

If you have internet access with that computer, you may want to try downloading the drivers from the manufacturer, or try running Windows Update to see if it will have it for you.

Good luck!
I agree with all that with one exception (you pointed out MY stupid, so I'm going to point out yours now ). Windows 95 does not HAVE Windows Update. WU is only available for Win98 and above.

Bottom line is this, Bishop. Find out what kind of motherboard you have. If you can get on the web and download drivers directly onto that machine, great. If not, get on the web from another computer, download the drivers and hope they will fit onto a floppy (or two, or three...)

Chris

Old 03-24-04, 07:25 PM
Wow, how long has it been since I used Win95???

6 years I guess - Win98.

Another good reason to put Win98 on that computer if you can.

If you can't find the drivers on the manufacturer's site, try <a href="http://www.driverguide.com">DriverGuide.Com</a>.

Good luck!

Old 03-25-04, 05:11 AM
Are both hard drive controllers in error or just the one? If both are, here is a fix.
Run regedit, do a search for "noide" without the quotes, delete anything found, reboot.

Old 03-25-04, 06:03 AM
Dave,

That's a very cool trick I never new about! I wish I had known this 5-8 years ago! Would have saved me a lot of aggravation in my younger troubleshooting days.

Here are some more links to explain and fix this, Bishop!

http://powerjoe.tripod.com/noide.html

http://www.longshome.com/noide.htm

http://www.md4pc.com/questions/34.htm

I would still recommend upgrading to Win98 if you can. Much better OS.

HTH, man!

Chris

Old 03-25-04, 10:37 AM
I'm just full of ancient troubleshooting techniques and solutions

Old 03-26-04, 08:51 AM
Bishop
Visiting Guest
Bishop

I was only going to use the old windows 95 system for my greenhouse records. But I wanted internet access also the keep Plant record buys.

I need the CD drives to work even to be able to get the Modem reset. I'm dead with out the CD drives.

It was alot easier before CDs when the floppy did everything....

Old 03-26-04, 09:08 AM
tae
what brand is the cd rom? Is it on the same cable as the hard drive? Is it at the end of the cable, or the middle? is it set to master, slave, or cable select. lets cover the basics here.

Old 03-26-04, 03:24 PM
Bishop
Visiting Guest
Still Dead in the water

I checked the device manager and removed the yellow (!) but now the system will not start at all, it loads the basic, with the F1 options the change the setup, then the Windows 95 screen starts and stays there with the bar moving across the bottom of the screen but stays like that for hours. Windows 95 never starts now. What did I do wrong. Even the 3 1/2 Startup floppy is ignored now.

I should have never tried to reload 95, it was working before I tried to reinstall 95. I thought the reload would check to see if anythings missing.

Old 03-26-04, 05:36 PM
You say you "removed" the yellow (!)'s. My question is HOW? What did you do?

Can you boot into safe mode, or does it lock up same as if you try to boot normally? Let us know.

Terminator, I hate to say this but that advice isn't very professional. Formatting and reinstalling should always be a LAST resort, and you are also suggesting that he install not one, but eventually 2 OS's, neither of which he even owns and that the computer (in the case of XP) wouldn't even run on. He's got an old, cheap computer that will have minimal work done on it, so he does not need any of that. I do agree that Windows 98 would be better, but he seemingly does not have access to that. No worries. We simply have to get the machine booting again and the CD drives working.

Bishop, please answer my two questions and we'll go from there.

Chris

Old 03-26-04, 07:39 PM
Bishop
Visiting Guest
Answer to two questions

1) The system will not boot into safe mode, just the W95 screen with the thinking bar at the bottom moving right to left.

2) When I went to System, Device Manager, clicked on yellow !, clicked remove, and they were gone.

I don't understand why I can't reboot from A: with W95 startup disk.

I'm thinking about ordering from EBAY one of those "Super Floppies" that says it will reboot system and install CD drivers, the ad says $10 including shipping, sad, that's what I paid for the entire working system before problem.

Old 03-26-04, 08:16 PM
tae
umm....do you remember what those yellow exclamation marks were for? I hope it wasnt the Onboard FDC Controller

what is the brand/model of the computer?
brand/model of the cd?
if possible, the brand of motherboard?

can you access the bios?
is it set to boot from floppy?

How to access bios from bootdisk.com
:http://www.bootdisk.com/readme.htm#bios

do you have another computer to make a cd?
of course, if the cdr wont work, it wont matter.
If you cant boot to floppy, why buy one?

Old 03-27-04, 05:09 AM
Bishop,

Ok... No need to buy that eBay floppy. Hopefully, all you need to do is enter the BIOS and change the boot sequence so that the floppy drive is first on the list. Then, you should be allowed to boot from a floppy. I, too hope you didn't remove the FDC controller from Windows, but even if you did, I'll bet that you can still boot from a floppy.

Next, REINSTALL OVER Windows95. What I mean is, do NOT format, just simply reinstall over what you have there now.

When you then get back into Windows, do not simply "remove" the yellow (!)'s in device manager. Rather, follow the REPAIR instructions provided earlier in the thread.

HTH and let us know!

Chris

Old 03-27-04, 08:51 AM
Bishop
Visiting Guest
I ordered the BOOT DISKS

Hey Guys,

I ordered the Boot Disk off EBAY last night, they should be here in a few days, I'll repost after they arrive.

The system will still not reboot from A:, or C: or the CD.

The add for the BOOT DISK says professionals use the disk to overcome promlems,

If the new disk works, does that mean I'll be a professional too?

Ha Ha Ha

Old 03-27-04, 06:39 PM
tae
you still need to get the floppy drive working.

Old 03-27-04, 06:50 PM
If you can't boot from the floppy. the eBay wonder floppy isn't going to do much for you. And I can tell you that professionals do not use it, there's nothing this floppy can do that I can't already do, there's nothing magic about it.

Old 03-30-04, 05:15 AM
Bishop
Visiting Guest
Got the floppy working

It must be something wrong with the W95 startup disk. I got the floppy working, and reformated the hard drive, and since the CD drive still does not work, I dug out my old DOS 6.22 disk and loaded it, works fine, dug ouit my old Windows 3.1 disks and loaded them, works fine, when I tried to load my old Windows 95 upgrade disks, found the Number 1 disk, is blank, must have died in the last 10 years, all the other W95 disks are good, So I can't load W95 from my old disks and I can't load W95 from the CD, so I'm still waiting for my MajicDisk to arrive from EBAY, and waiting....

The CD doesn't work and I can't go online yet cause the modem is loaded by a CD.

Old 03-30-04, 06:24 AM
Wait a minute... If your floppy disks are bad, just download a new bootdisk from this link and create new bootdisks.

As far as the CD drive, it's not working to even LOAD Windows now? *sigh* Is it showing up at POST? Is it the physical drive itself (have you tried another)? I'm going to reread the entire thread because I think I'm missing something here...

Chris

Old 03-30-04, 08:06 AM
pagerboy
Visiting Guest
If you have a startup disk for 95 without the cd drivers the cdrom will not read them.

You will need a boot disk with cdrom drivers, do you see why this computer was sold for pennies

Old 03-30-04, 09:24 AM
pagerboy,

The URL I referenced has bootdisks which DO include the universal "mscdex" CD-ROM driver...

Chris

Old 03-31-04, 08:02 AM
Bishop
Visiting Guest
Slight improvment

I tried the W95 CD that came with the system again. The CD drive comes to life, but nothing happens, I tried the W98 CD that came with my newer system, and the CD drive came alive again, and said this W98 is for a NEC only.

That means the CD drive works, but the W95 CD doesn't AUTORUN.

What to do now?

Old 03-31-04, 10:16 AM
You need to download the Win95 bootbisks from the above referenced URL, boot from those making sure to run mscdex. That will load a DOS based CD ROM driver. Then, put the CD in the drive and from the DOS prompt, switch over to the CD ROM drive letter. Type "setup.exe" and you should be in business!

It's been a heck of a long time since I've done this, but we'll get there, man.

Chris

Last edited by tae; 03-31-04 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-01-04, 10:12 AM
Bishop
Visiting Guest
Latest Failure

I got the MagicDisk CD, followed the directions, but I still don't get a drive letter assigned for the CD.

I went to Bootdisk.com and downloaded two different versions on floppys. he W95 floppy and the DOS 6.22 says "Invalied System Disk.

Is there a key to making a bootdisk that will assign a drive letter?

The computer works great on W3.1 but I need at least W95.

Is there a trick to making my W98 Cd load on the computer?

Thanks

Old 04-01-04, 11:58 AM
Please look at all the files on the Win95 floppy disk that you created from Bootdisk.com and post all those filenames here.

Last edited by WorldBuilder; 04-01-04 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-01-04, 02:35 PM
two more things to try (gritty detail warning)

Do you have a real mode driver loading via config.sys? Many times this problem can be resolved by loading a real mode driver. Most ide cd drivers are just about interchangeable these days. Microsoft only uses one of them anymore on win98 boot disks. I think it's called oakcdrom.sys. With that and mscdex.exe you should be able to read a CD from dos mode so long as there isn't a hardware problem. If it reads from DOS but not windows then you need to look at chipset drivers as has been suggested.

I want to note that many of the recent (several years) ide/atapi cdrom drivers will do pretty much the same thing. cpq_ide.sys from compaq is one that comes to mind (you'll find that it is actually oakcdrom.sys in disguise). You need one line in config.sys to use this driver...

device=c:\path\oakcdrom.sys /d:cd1

...and one line in autoexec.bat to finish the job.

c:\path\mscdex.exe /d:cd1

(Be sure to substitute a proper path for 'path' in both lines.)

Seems like it has been mentioned you have problems with your FDD too. If you can't load these files via floppy let me know and maybe I can make them available via the web if that works for you.

Another thing which can happen that will cause windows to load in compatibility mode, have yellow exclamation points on the secondary HDD controller (and sometimes more) is certain viruses that insert themselves in certain ways in the chain of events. There were several that would do it but it's been long enough since I've seen it that only the NYB virus comes to mind. A virus scanner will usually find these but a quicky way to deal with at least some of them (NYB included) is to do...

fdisk /mbr

...from a prompt and reboot.

Hope something helps.

Old 04-03-04, 02:19 PM
Bishop
Visiting Guest
I'm Back

Hey Guys, My good W98 computer got "ADWARE" screwed up bad. Something downloaded and loaded itself in windows and spykiller and spyhunter would not remove it all, so I Reinstalled W98 on my good computer and I'm Back again.

I'm a slow typest so I'll reply again about my $10 computer CD problems in a few minutes.

Old 04-03-04, 08:01 PM
Bishop
Visiting Guest
$10 computer status

I downloaded two bootsdisks from Bootdisk.com, one floppy and one on CD.

The system says on startup with the floppy in a: Invalid System Disk. I get nowwhere.

The CD bootdisk, the CD lights comes on, the 40X spins, the light goes ot... nothing.

Here's an update on the $10 system:
Its works great on Windows 3.1
The A: works fine
The C: works fine
The CD only works if I put in the W98 CD from my NEC system, it starts to runW98, but says this is not a NEC system, and the CD quits, so the CD does work if the right CD is in it.

The W95 CD that came with the $10 system is ignored now, but when I updated W95 after I got the system, the CD drive and W95 CD worked great.

My other problems before were bad bootdisks from old W95 disk from years back.

If I knew the exact files to load on a CD Bootdisk I can load from my CD burner on my NEC system.

Thanks

Old 04-03-04, 08:13 PM
Bishop
Visiting Guest
CD info

The $10 computer is a Gateway 350mhz, 128 ram.

The CD is ATAPI 40X
DOS 6.22 and W3.1 loaded fine with out CD activation.
The System had a 52X24X52X CDRW also but I pulled it out trying to get W95 to work after I tried to reload W95 from CD, so it had two working CD drives when I got it.

The startup shows the Hard Drive and the ATAPI CD drive.

I now have the CD as a slave, but both CDs bdfore were on the Secondary IDE

The $10 MagicBoot CD I ordered doesn't load what it needs to see the CD drivers.

It's now my $20 system for my greenhouse records but without the CD working, the modem can't be loaded.

Help!

Old 04-04-04, 10:51 AM
pagerboy
Visiting Guest
So if Win3.1 works can you not upgrade to 98?

Old 04-04-04, 11:45 AM
tae
Ok, lets start again.... you now have the computer running windows 3.1? The floppy drive works, the hard drive works, and you can see the cd rom, but can't use it, or cant use it from boot? You have a windows 95 cd? does it have a folder called "win95". if it does, just copy it to the hard drive, and run the setup from there, or if you can "explore" the cd, look for a setup.exe. You probably won't be able to use the NEC win 98 disk.

Old 04-04-04, 06:34 PM
Bishop
Visiting Guest
$20 computer

Yes, right now the computer works but I can't get DOS 6.22 or Windows 3.1 to show the CD drive as a Drive Letter.

The CD drive works mechanically but my problem is I can't get the CD to be recoginized at DOS or W3.1 startup.

The computer sees the ATAPI CD in SETUP but my OS will not see the CD

The only time the CD actually works, communicates with the monitor, is when I put in the W98 CD from my other System. Of course it fails to loads W98, but the good thing is the CD drives sees that CD and starts running.

Help

Old 04-04-04, 07:01 PM
Sounds like you're just missing your DOS drivers for the CD - the CDROM.SYS and the MSCDEX.EXE files.

You should be able to get them from the bootdisk.com site though.

Good luck!

Old 04-04-04, 07:09 PM
tae
I think you will need real mode drivers for the cdrom. What brand/model is the cdr? Do you have one that has dos/realmode drivers you could switch with?

Old 04-04-04, 07:49 PM
Bishop
Visiting Guest
I bought Windows ME Upgrade tonight

Hey guys, I've been watching EBAY this week and tonight I bought the Windows ME Upgrade CD. It should be here in about 7-9 days. I hope, if I haven't got the Gateway DOS or W3.1 to read and see the ATAPI CD drive by then, the WME CD will be seen and load itself from the CD.

I don't know yet if the WME CD Upgrade will upgrade from W3.1 or W95 only. If W95 has to be preloaded before it wil work, I have to get this Gateway ready with W95 running.

Now my original $10 computer is now my $50 computer, but as retired, I can live with that.
Tomorrow I'm going back to Bootdisk.com againg and try the things again that everyone suggested.

Thanks to all, and I'll let you know.

Old 04-04-04, 08:24 PM
tae
Windows Me upgrade for previous users of Windows 98 and 98 2nd edition. Possible upgrade for previous users of Windows 95 if you have appropriate system requirements.

Pentium 150-MHz processor or better
32 megabytes (MB) of RAM or better
Minimum 320 MB of free hard-disk space
CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive
3.5-inch high-density floppy disk drive
Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
Video adapter and monitor that support VGA or higher resolution
Sound card
Speakers or headphones