Windows 98 problems

Old 03-30-04, 12:15 AM
Bill W.
Visiting Guest
Question Windows 98 problems

Three nights ago I came home late, went to check my email, noticed my hard drive running nonstop and the computer responding agonizingly slow. I’m running Windows 98 and I rebooted and then faced a succession of “missing shortcut” boxes referencing various .exe files. I checked Start-Programs and found that Lycos Sidesearch had been installed. I removed the program and rebooted but met the same barrage of “Missing Shortcut” boxes. In addition, clicking desktop icons while offline sometimes produces an “Internet Connection is Unavailable” dialogue box. I then checked the “Startup” folder and found that each time I rebooted Windows, four or five non-existent program names would appear. I ran the computer in safe mode for a day and then tried reinstalling Windows to see if that would help. It did help oerformance-wise and my “Startup” folder no longer fills with new program names, but the other symptoms remain. I also followed instructions I received to check the registry for any traces of Lycos Sidesearch, but found none. I am also seeing that my “Close Program” box (I use ctrl-alt-del to call it up) is full of new names, using “close task” on them helps performance..

Finally, today I bought the Norton AntiVirus 2004 edition, installed it and ran the full scan. Eleven “threats” were identified, seven of which are adware, and all were either deleted or quarantined. However my problem remains. The computer performance is slow, the hard drive runs constantly and the “Missing Shortcut” dialogue boxes appear. I can stop all these symptoms only by running in safe mode. All advice and suggestions will be welcomed. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-04, 12:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Since you said you left your computer on for a very long tiem connected to the net, I think you have a bunch of spyware on your computer, and you may have a virus on it to. I sugest running adaware and spybot seak and destroy. And run your current anti virus software. And make sure its up to date.

Old 03-30-04, 04:12 AM
B
yes - update the Norton

The virus creators have been very busy the past month. Norton has been issuing updates several times a week to keep up. There was an update issued just yesterday.

Old 03-30-04, 06:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Definitely follow this link to download Adaware 6. Once downloaded, install it. Once installed, UPDATE it. Once updated, run a full system scan. Norton can help with spyware, but it's not great at it, so download and run Adaware as well. Let us know!

Chris

Old 03-30-04, 08:14 AM
pagerboy
Visiting Guest
If you know how to format and reinstall 98 do that, if not try to get all the virii out of the computer.

If Norton can not delete them all make sure you write down the names so we can help deleting them.

After all is well always run an updated virus scanner, an ad remover and a firewall if its a broadband connection.

Old 03-30-04, 08:32 AM
Bill W.
Visiting Guest
I downloaded AdAware 6 from PC World, got the updates, and ran the full scan. There were 188 items found and removed. However, my problems persist. When I open Windows I see a series of "Missing Shortcut" dialogue boxes and my "Close Program" box shows several items. After running Norton 2004 and AdAware 6 I'm assuming my computer is virus-free. I don't want to go to the the time and troule of reformatting and reinstalling everything unless I can be sure that will solve the problems and there is no alternative. Thanks for the advice.

Old 03-30-04, 09:20 AM
pagerboy
Visiting Guest
Use the run command box from the start menu and open msconfig and you should be able to stop those boxes from coming up.

Old 03-30-04, 09:23 AM
The problems persist even after running Adaware, eh? Was Adaware fully updated? Hmmmmm... That's strange. The next step is to actually go in and see what's starting. I do NOT want you to format and reinstall, either. That is always a LAST resort. Ok.

Click Start
Click Run
type "msconfig" without the quotes and press OK

Look and see what's in startup and delete anything you recognize from those dialogue boxes. Let's start there. I'm surprised Adaware didn't take care of this already. Make sure it was updated.

Also, are you on broadband? If so, DISCONNECT from the network for now. Also, run Norton and Adaware in safe mode to be sure.

Let us know,

Chris

Old 03-30-04, 10:05 AM
B
perhaps it would help if you told us

what shortcuts are missing.

How did you know the hard drive was running a long time?

How old is the computer? Hard drive?

Old 03-30-04, 02:25 PM
Bill W.
Visiting Guest
I feel we may be closing in on something. Let me take it from the top.

BobF:
I wrote down the shortcut names and then followed the instructions of WorldHandler. I assume the HD was running a long time because I arrived home about 1 ½ hours after the last person used it and the light was on. The computer and HD are about 5 years old but ScanDisk found no problems on the HD.

WorldBuilder:
Adaware was fully updated when I ran it.

I followed your instructions using “msconfig”, unchecked the .exe file boxes. Restarted Windows and two new missing shortcut names popped up. I followed the steps to turn them off, rebooted and same thing. The missing shortcuts have names like “erp3yol6.exe, gqvrgbkh.exe, hlumygq1.exe, etc”. Do I just repeat this process until they stop? Where are they coming from?
Something is hogging up my memory and generating these .exe file names on the shortcuts.

I am not on broadband, just old fashioned dial-up.

When I first installed Adaware I attempted to run it in safe mode and had a General Protection Fault and shutdown. It ran successfully with windows 98 fully loaded. I don’t know if that’s relevant but you mentioned running it and AntiVirus in safe mode.

PagerBoy:
I did as you and WorldBuilder advised and stopped the “Missing Shortcut” boxes, but they seem to be multiplying.

I even went ahead and closed some of the programs using "msconfig". All I see in my “Close Program” box when I reboot now is: Explorer, Ccapp, Rnaapp, and Systray. Still, performance is slow and I'm now seeing messages telling me I don’t have enough memory to open a program. What is going on? Just getting online is a chore now. i stay in safe mode until I want to use the internet, then back to safe mode. Thanks to all of you for your help.

Old 03-30-04, 03:02 PM
tae
Post a list of all the items that are starting when Windows loads. Do you know how to use MSINFO32? Copy and paste? Go to Start / Run / msinfo32 / Software enviroment / startup programs.

Go to Edit and Select all, then copy, then come here and paste to a post. This will tell us what's starting that may be draining your resources.

Old 03-30-04, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Bill W.
...followed the instructions of WorldHandler.
WorldHandler, lol. Call me Chris.

Strange. Those exe files you mention do NOT come up in Google or any other search at all. Very mysterious, indeed. Do as tae asks and post it all. We'll go from there.

Chris

Old 03-30-04, 06:13 PM
S
Definitely sounds like a virus or trojan. The first thing you're going to want to do is completely disconnect that computer from any networks or phone lines. If it's the computer you're using to visit and posts at these forums, you may want to find another one quickly.

If it's a trojan, then you may be out of luck. The reason it looks like it's multiplying is because it probably it - that's the idea behind trojans and worms.

I'm a formatting is last resort type myself, but at this point, you may not have any choice - or at least, that may be the cheapest and easiest option (short of taking it in for professional help.)

BTW, the more you access the internet with a trojan, the more damage you typically do - that's why I say disconnect it now, and use a different computer to get online. If you can't do that, then you'll probably want to make backups of your e-mails and docs, then just format it and reinstall.

Good luck!

Old 03-30-04, 07:09 PM
I agree with Brandon. At this point, it miht be better just to save what you can and go the format and reinstall route. I generally dislike doing that at all costs, but when time, effort, etc are considered, it's probably not worth fighting with. The fact that no information came up with those exe files you mentioned awes me to no end, and without further info, I would just cut your losses and format. Since you CAN at least boot and navigate, save all your stuff, and start from scratch. Pains me to say it, but I think we've reached that time.

Make sure that you SCAN the media of anything you save from that computer, though to make sure the media has not become infected with anything. You don't want to reformat and reinstall only to reinfect the fresh install with whatever CTD you have now (if any).

Chris

Old 03-31-04, 12:57 AM
Bill W.
Visiting Guest
tae: here are the results:

ERP3YOL6 Common Startup Group C:\WINDOWS\erp3yol6.exe /dk
ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\taskmon.exe
SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
Symantec Core LC Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe start
ccApp Registry (Machine Run) "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
NAV CfgWiz Registry (Machine Run) c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CfgWiz.exe /GUID NAV /CMDLINE "REBOOT"
ScriptBlocking Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
ccEvtMgr Registry (Machine Service) "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
ccSetMgr Registry (Machine Service) "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe"

One additional thought: Norton AntiVirus did locate the JS.KakWorm.G Virus and the WScript.KakWorm residing in one of my Juno files. It was unrepairable and reportedly the delete failed so Norton quarantined it. I downloaded from the Norton website a sheet of instructions to delete the file and repair damage. This may sound ignorant but what if I delete Juno and then reload it from the Juno website? Is this worth a try before going through reformatting?

Thanks again to each of you.

Bill

Old 03-31-04, 03:43 AM
tae: here are the results:

ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\taskmon.exe
SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
Symantec Core LC Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe start
ccApp Registry (Machine Run) "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
NAV CfgWiz Registry (Machine Run) c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CfgWiz.exe /GUID NAV /CMDLINE "REBOOT"
ScriptBlocking Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
ccEvtMgr Registry (Machine Service) "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
ccSetMgr Registry (Machine Service) "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe"
Other than "ERP3YOL6", everything else looks fine. I still have NO idea what "ERP3YOL6" is, though. Can't find it anywhere.

One additional thought: Norton AntiVirus did locate the JS.KakWorm.G Virus and the WScript.KakWorm residing in one of my Juno files. It was unrepairable and reportedly the delete failed so Norton quarantined it. I downloaded from the Norton website a sheet of instructions to delete the file and repair damage. This may sound ignorant but what if I delete Juno and then reload it from the Juno website? Is this worth a try before going through reformatting?
That's not ignorant at all. However, uninstalling and reinstalling Juno will make no difference. My only question to you is: Did you follow those instructions TO THE LETTER? Are these the removal tools you are talking about?

For WScript.KakWorm, the instructions are here.

For JS.KakWorm.G, the removal instructions are here.

Make sure you follow both of those instructions to the letter to remove both virii. If you are still having problems after that, I say stop wasting time, save your important files, and format & reinstall... Remember, to the letter... Skip nothing.

Let us know!

Chris

Old 03-31-04, 04:20 PM
tae
Do a search for files and folders and find this one. rename the exe to abc, so it looks like erp3yol6.abc .this is just in case you need it, which i dont think you will.

Start in safe mode and do your thorough virus scan and run ad aware. See what comes up.

Go to start/run/ type in sysedit
look at the autoexec.bat and config.sys. see if this program, or
something simular is listed, that doesnt look right. If you find something, rem it out by typing rem in front of it.Then save changes.
there may be something in the registry too. We will wait and see, unless you don't mind formatting and installing?

Old 04-01-04, 01:33 AM
Bill W.
Visiting Guest
tae thanks for working with me. Reformatting is not something I would look forward to as I have no external data storage and would need to juggle 10 or 12 floppys plus my program cd's in addition to my restore disc. Besides, my 4GB hard drive is only 50% full, so I would be reformatting a lot of virgin disc space.

I found no erp3ylo6.exe file. “Find Files” returned these results:

ERP3YLO6 C:Windows\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup 1 KB shortcut Modified 3\30\04 1:07 PM

ERP3YLO6 C:Windows\All Users\Start Menu
1 KB shortcut Modified 3\30\04 1:07 PM

erp3ylo6.lgc C:\Windows\Applog
11 KB LGC File Modified 3\30\04 1:07 PM

The folder C:Windows\All Users\Start Menu\Programs contains the folders: \Startup and \Disabled Startup Items, the latter of which is filled with names I deleted earlier using “msconfig-startup”.

Nothing similar to erp3ylo6 was found in autoexec.bat or config.sys.

Old 04-01-04, 05:00 AM
B
only using 2gb?

Wow - my software takes up more room than that ;-)

That file is probably hidden. I haven't used WIN98 for a long time, but there should be a way to look for hidden files.
Safewatch - tae?

As for reformatting - you will have it pretty easy with only 2 gb of stuff. AS for the unused disk space - unless you have done a defrag, you have lots of fragmented files. Either a defrag or reformat will give a speed increase. Might be a good time to invest in a cd burner and put all the stored data on a couple of cd-r discs instead of all those floppies.
The first time you reformat can be daunting. But having done it 3 times when I had WIN98, it isn't so bad. Win98 needs to be reformatted every 2-3 years under normal use.

Old 04-01-04, 07:37 AM
By default, Windows 98 does not show hidden or system files. Also file types which are registered with the system (i.e. there is a program associated with the file type), are shown without extension when you view your files in Windows Explorer.

To see all files:

Open Windows Explorer, and select Folder Options from the View Menu
Click on the View tab, go to the Hidden Files header and choose Show all files, and press Apply

To see your file extensions for all files, make sure that the check-box for Hide file extensions for known file types is unchecked.

HTH,

Chris

Old 04-01-04, 12:08 PM
Bill W.
Visiting Guest
Smile

only using 2gb?
Wow - my software takes up more room than that ;-)
It is funny. You sound like people I work with who, when the conversation turns to computers, think I'm some kind of a technological luddite. But hey, when I bought my eMachine in '99, even though it was a starter model, it was light years ahead of the 386 it replaced. Actually it does do everything I usually need but I do waste a lot of time sitting around while it thinks about what I'm asking for.

I have been viewing hidden files\extensions. When I right-click “Properties” on C:\Windows\AllUsers\Start Menu\programs\Start Up\ERP3YOL6, the “Properties” box tells me “Target C:\Windows\erp3yol6.exe/dk. This thing just goes around in circles. I’m tempted to delete it but I know it will come back.

I also know you’re right on about the wisdom of reformatting, and investing in a cd-rw drive would be a good move but for now it’s the principle of the thing and I am learning along the way. If there is no other way to make this thing go away and I've already passed the point of diminshing returns, I’ll bite the bullet and reformat. By the way, I do use the Win 98 System Tools and did defragment the disk earlier this year, which is why I wondered what reformatting would accomplish now.

Even if I get this current problem solved without reformatting I will invest in the cd-rw so I can do a proper backup for the day my tired computer does meltdown and I finally replace it :-). If installing the cd-rw and reformatting now is the only sensible thing to do can I ask you guys to walk me though that too?

Old 04-01-04, 12:52 PM
Delete that Target C:\Windows\erp3yol6.exe/dk. How do you know it will come back? Have you manually deleted it before?

As far as everything else goes, I completely understand your desire to learn. That's commendable. I do think that if you delete this file, it returns, AND you have followed every bit of advice in this entire thread (reread just to make sure you didn't miss anything), then yes, it's time to stop playing and format. As far as helping you with that, of course we'll help out! It's what we do, friend.

Chris

Old 04-02-04, 04:17 AM
B
What is a Luddite?
Historically, Luddites flourished In Britain from about 1811 to 1816. They were bands of men, organized, masked, anonymous, whose object was to destroy machinery used mostly in the textile industry. Luddites had, in this view, come to be imagined as the counter-revolutionaries of that "Industrial Revolution" which their modern versions have "never tried, wanted, or been able to understand."
It may be that the deepest Luddite hope of miracle has now come to reside in the computer's ability to get the right data to those whom the data will do the most good. With the proper deployment of budget and computer time, we will cure cancer, save ourselves from nuclear extinction, grow food for everybody, detoxify the results of industrial greed gone berserk -- realize all the wistful pipe dreams of our days.
The word "Luddite" continues to be applied with contempt to anyone with doubts about technology, especially the nuclear kind.

I agree with WB. Delete this hidden file one more time. If it comes back, bite the bullet and reformat. Get the machine working first, then add the cd-rw. Sounds like most of the 2 gb is data and very little is software that will need to be reloaded. If so, you should be reformatted and going again in a very short time - a couple of hours or so.

What system disks do you have?

Old 04-02-04, 05:38 AM
pagerboy
Visiting Guest
You could also get Partition Magic or any other on the fly partitioning tool and backup your files on a second half of the existing drive.
Then reformat the first half of the drive.

Reformatting will speed up your computer a bit since there are no remnants of old programs that it has to look through. Getiing a CDRW is really cheap nowadays and you will need to backup your files in case of a hardware failure.

Old 04-02-04, 09:06 AM
Bill W.
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I deleted the Target C:\Windows\erp3yol6.exe/dk and the "Missing Shortcut" boxes ceased. While the symptoms that started last week are gone the eMachine is sluggish and just doesn't seem right. I decided I was overdue yesterday so I bought a new PC (Pentium 2.6/512mb DDR SDRAM, 80 GB/7200 rpm HD, CD-RW, and DVD). What a difference! I will get a CD-RW for the eMachine, transfer some data, reformat the HD, and keep it around. Thanks for helping educate me. I appreciate your time, expertise, and sharing.

Old 04-02-04, 09:21 AM
I deleted the Target C:\Windows\erp3yol6.exe/dk and the "Missing Shortcut" boxes ceased.
Great! Glad to hear it.

While the symptoms that started last week are gone the eMachine is sluggish and just doesn't seem right.
Probably unnecessary RAM consumption, but a machine that old will be slow no matter what you do. Just the way it is.
I decided I was overdue yesterday so I bought a new PC (Pentium 2.6/512mb DDR SDRAM, 80 GB/7200 rpm HD, CD-RW, and DVD). What a difference!
Yeah, you said it. Definitely a big difference. Congratulations. Nice machine.

I will get a CD-RW for the eMachine, transfer some data, reformat the HD, and keep it around. Thanks for helping educate me. I appreciate your time, expertise, and sharing.
There doesn't seem to be the need to reformat now that the problem has been solved, but it certainly won't hurt anything. Plus, you can learn a bit more. We're here to help, friend. Good job!

Chris

Old 04-02-04, 09:37 AM
S
If all else fails - buy a new one