Remote Desktop Web Connection

Old 04-02-04, 01:14 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Remote Desktop Web Connection

Anyone familiar with it? It's a major pain. I'm considering using PCAnyWhere or WinShadow instead. But, before I purchase anything (that I will probably also have problems with), I want to make sure I've done everything I can with RDWC.

So, here's the basic scenario:
1) Cable Modem connection - DI-624 Router - RD Host computer
2) DI has my RD default page forwarded on correct port to the RD host computer
3) Also tried DMZ'ing the RD host

I can get the RDWC login screen just fine (tsweb/default.htm)

The way I have it setup is through IIS (have to) and have TSWEB as the default page for my IIS server - since I have nothing else on it at the moment. All of that is working fine.

By DMZ'ing the host, I think I've eliminated the router's config as the problem. I've also disabled (and completely shutdown) my Sygate Firewall on the host.

Here's what I get everytime I login from the RDCW page (with name):
VBScript: Remote Desktop Disconnected
The specified remote computer could not be found. Verify that you have typed the correct computer name or IP address, and then try connecting again.

Here's what I get when I login with the IP address:
VBScript: Remote Desktop Disconnected
The client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to accept new connections. It is also possible that network problems are preventing your connection. Please try connecting again later. If the problem continues to occur, contact your administrator.

The next step is to try a different computer, especially since this one has been somewhat sluggish lately (I think it may just be timing out.)

Any other thoughts on the matter?

Old 04-02-04, 01:26 PM
Very sorry, Brandon. Never even heard of this. Wish I could help, but I'm totally in the dark here. I'll ask around, though!

Chris

Last edited by WorldBuilder; 04-02-04 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-02-04, 05:06 PM
tae
one thought...does it NEED messenger service to function?

Configuring Port 3389 to Enable Remote Assistance
Remote Assistance runs over the top of Terminal Services technology, which means it needs to use the same port already used by Terminal Services: port 3389. For more information about using and configuring ports, see this Microsoft Knowledge Base article.http://support.microsoft.com/default...150543&sd=tech

Note: If the person who is being helped is behind a firewall, NAT, or ICS, Remote Assistance will still function as long as the person being helped initiates the session via Windows Messenger. However, as stated above, Remote Assistance will not work in cases when the outbound traffic from port 3389 is blocked.

Using Remote Assistance in a Home Network
If you are using Personal Firewall or NAT in a home environment, you can use Remote Assistance without any special configurations. However, if you have a corporate-like firewall in a home environment, the same restrictions apply: you would need to open Port 3389 in order to use Remote Assistance.

from:http://www.remotenetworktechnology.c...estionsPage#h3
Will Remote Desktop work on Windows XP Home Edition?

A subset of the Remote Desktop functionality is available in Windows XP Home Edition -- Remote Assistance. Otherwise, no, the Remote Desktop functionality is not available in XP Home Edition. If you need this capability and do not wish to purchase Windows XP Professional, you may want to consider using WinVNC or Netmeeting's Remote Desktop Sharing Functionality. PC Anywhere also provides Remote Desktop-like functionality at a cost.

OTHERS:...
Checklist:
1) permissions...
2) connections enabled....
3) ping the machine to make sure it exists...

From microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/r...op/default.asp

look here for some possible tuning options:
http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/e...l/august27.asp

I have used pcanywhere, just make sure you use good safety precautions, not just the default ones. havent used the winshadow.

Old 04-02-04, 06:55 PM
S
I think I'm going to give WinShadow a try - seems to be a decent product, and only $35 for a license.

I didn't mention this before, but the host is WinXP Pro, the client (laptop) is WinXP Home. As long as I'm on the LAN, I can use Remote Desktop just fine, it's when I try to use RDWC from a remote location (outside of my LAN) that I have problems. Like I say, I get the login page just fine, but when I type in the name or IP, I get the error message and no connection.

It must be a RDC issue, because IIS and TSWEB are on the same computer (the host) that I'm trying to connect to. So I know I'm reaching the computer just fine, just can't get it to let me in.

I don't think it's permissions simply because I never get that far (login) - to my knowledge there should be a login request from the host computer, but it never comes up (should be the next thing to pop-up after the TSWEB screen.)

Obviously, from the above, you can figure that the connections and ping are not issues - I'm getting the machine, just not the connection to the RDC.

I can also login to my router's admin remotely. As I mentioned, I DMZ'd the host, just to make sure it wasn't a firewall or port issue of some sort.

I can't think of what else to do??? It's got to have something to do with RDC's configuration or something.

Anyway, I'll try out WinShadow and see how it works out.

Thanks.

Old 04-02-04, 09:19 PM
tae
good luck!

Did you know that winshadow is considered a "pest" by pest patrol?
The more i look, the less i would use winshadow.

Old 04-03-04, 08:56 AM
pagerboy
Visiting Guest
What does the IP address look like? If its 192.168.x.x then you cannot connect through the internet because that address is non-routable.

Old 04-07-04, 08:00 AM
S
Did you know that winshadow is considered a "pest" by pest patrol?
The more i look, the less i would use winshadow.
Yeah, I noticed that. Still can't figure out why though? Unless it's used by hackers as a trojan program?

I tried it briefly, but I didn't like it. I'm using PCAnywhere right now, but haven't had time to try a remote access. I need to get in and setup the port forwarding for it.

What does the IP address look like? If its 192.168.x.x then you cannot connect through the internet because that address is non-routable.
Actually, I'm using a DDNS service to forward to my network. I'm also using (forget the exact name) DNS Update? to update the IP address for the DDNS service.

As mentioned above, I'm also using port forwarding to route the proper port to my internal address (PCA host.)

The actual connection to the computer works fine (I know this, since I get the RDWC login page - it's on the host), I just get the host computer to give me a login screen with RDWC. That's why I'm thinking PCA will work - all I have to do is connect directly to it from my laptop. I just don't like the PCA interface as much as I do the RDWC interface - it's much more intuitive and easier to use. Oh well, sacrifices. I also thought about VPN, but I only have one computer I need to access and it's not a server.

Thanks.

Old 04-07-04, 08:56 AM
pagerboy
Visiting Guest
I don't think you can use remote desktop from the internet with XP Home.

Old 04-08-04, 08:26 PM
S
This Overview from MS.com implies that you can:
Remote Desktop Web Connection Benefits
Run sessions within Internet Explorer. The ActiveX control runs in Internet Explorer 5 and later versions—on any Windows 32-bit operating system. Using the sample Web pages, you can design pages that either link directly to an application, or simply run the entire desktop.

Quick and easy access to computers running Windows XP Professional with Remote Desktop enabled. The Remote Desktop Web Connection is especially useful for fast, on-demand access to your desktop via the Web.
According to that, you just need XP Pro on the Host - which I have - XP Home is on the laptop (the remote.)

BTW, used PCA today and it works - for about 2 minutes, then it shut down and wouldn't let me back in (and, yes, it's set for re-login.) When I got home, the host was still "Logging Off User" - so I guess it hung somewhere. I don't like it anyway - it's not like RDWC. It runs in a window and is much slower. RDWC is like sitting at the computer - full screen and the desktop actually adjusts to the remotes settings. MS actually has a good product in it (knock on wood), now if I can just get it to work

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: