Internet Clean-up??????

Old 04-02-04, 01:37 PM
B
BGH
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Internet Clean-up??????

Any suggestions on how to best clean up my computer hard drive to remove any traces of internet sights? I have a laptop running on Windows XP. I have already cleared the history, and used the XP option of removing cookies and temporary internet files. But we all know this isn't enough. Are there any other suggestions, or good programs available to do this clean up?

Thanks in advance.
BGH

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-04, 02:05 PM
R
The only way to be 100 percent sure is to reformat the hard drive and start over.

Old 04-02-04, 02:29 PM
Aegis
Visiting Guest
lol, that'll definitely do the trick. You can even clean up all your user prefs & settings that way too!

Anyway, a good first step is to check out Ad-Aware. It's freeware that'll scan the registry, hard disk and anywhere else stuff might hide & get rid of it.

Another way to really clean up your operating environment is to check out just what exactly is being loaded when your computer starts up. 2 ways to do this (that I know of) 1. Hack and slash your registry manually! j/k run regedit & browse to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run registry key, where you'll find everything that your computer loads on startup except the services...I can elaborate more if you're curious, but direct registry editing is generally discouraged...

2. run msconfig, which gives you a user-friendly interface to do the same things as the regedit option, along with a few other options. An internet search will yield all sorts of advice on how to use it & what it can do.

Argh, can't think anymore. I think have ADD.

Old 04-02-04, 04:13 PM
tae
Why are you "cleaning" it up? Are you going to sell it, or just looking to reclaim some hard drive space, or worried about what "others" may see? there are many programs that exist, but knowing the reason would help to narrow it down.

Old 04-04-04, 04:47 PM
B
BGH
I am looking to clean the hard drive up because I do not want others seeing where I have been on the internet. Any suggestions, outside of removing cookies and clearing the history???

Thanks again!

Old 04-04-04, 06:32 PM
pagerboy
Visiting Guest
I like to use Mozilla as my browser since its easier to clean traces of where I went and also easier to print from websites.

Old 04-05-04, 06:29 PM
B
BGH
Thanks for the suggestions, but now have a couple of follow-up questions:

how would I re-format the hard drive?

what is the process to run msconfig?

I know I do not have to do both, but would still like to know the process for them.

Thanks again!!!

BGH

Old 04-05-04, 06:42 PM
C
to run msconfig
Click Start, Run, enter MSCONFIG, press enter. A tabbed box will appear.

how would I re-format the hard drive?
In Windows Explorer, right click on the drive of interest, select format. Follow the steps.

Or, boot with a Windows 98 boot disk. At the command prompt type Format c:\ or whatever disk you want to format.

do not want others seeing where I have been
Cookies and history are not the only indicators.

Old 04-06-04, 07:03 AM
B
BGH
Chris - Thanks for the instructions. What else would you recommend to clean up my internet? Besides removing cookies, history, and utilizing the other recommendations already posted?

BGH

Old 04-06-04, 11:24 AM
las
Visiting Guest
people do not care

People do not care were you have been on the internet
There too busy looking after each to his own type of thing
I can understand your concern If credit cards were use
and that type of stuff..another thing you could do Is allow your old hard drive to be Installed beside any new computer you might be getting

Old 04-06-04, 04:11 PM
C
For instance, spyware can hide in files in the computer and in the registry. Deleted files can be recovered unless they have been overwritten.

You could keep others out by encrypting the disk. But this seems to be a lot of trouble.

Old 04-06-04, 04:39 PM
tae
there are shareware/freeware programs to help you clean up the drive:
http://www.popularshareware.com/MyPr...sfer-6434.html
http://www.fileheaven.com/Washee/download/4158.htm
http://www.simtel.net/product.php?ur...uct_page=63701

or you could format the drive, and write over it to help ensure no one but a pro could get to it:
http://www.killdisk.com/features.htm
http://staff.washington.edu/jdlarios/autoclave/

Here's an interesting article:http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...617EST0765.DTL
and another:http://www.simson.net/clips/2003.CSO..._disk_risk.htm
In the end, preventive technology is a better solution to the sanitization problem. If you use an encrypted file system, you can sanitize a disk simply by erasing the key. I'd like to see that sort of technology built in to hard drives. Or better, perhaps someday soon, all disk drives will come with a self-destruct feature—just like Star Trek's Enterprise did!

Old 05-15-04, 05:34 PM
P
Two GREAT Cleaners

Check out Wipe Drive by Access Data, this program will totaly clean your hard-drive, I mean everything!! You'll have to have your start up disks to first "fdisk", repartition your drive then to format it, then to reinstall programs.
It even writes over everything up to 10 times!!! Remember nothing is gone until it is written over, the FBI writes over 3 times, CIA 5 times, NSA 7 times.
Another great product is Webroots WindowWasher, it will over write everything you delete, sites visited, and you can use it daily at logoff without having to reinstall everything, be sure to go to the web site and download all the free extras that will erase everything. They were the only things that got rid of my virus, not even reformatting could get rid of the worm!! Good Luck!!