Installing Linux w/ XP

Old 04-11-04, 05:20 PM
Installing Linux w/ XP

I'm currently running XP home on my new computer and am tired of it, but need to keep windows for some software I use regularly.

Any tips on how to install Linux with XP? I am assuming it will be a little different than with Win98.

Also I need recommendations on the newer version of linux out there.

I currently have RedHat 7.1 & 9.0 on disk and also Mandrake 9 & 9.1.

Thanks! Am eager to get back into Linux for day to day business and use Windows for those rare, but necessary moments I need my software that uses it.

Kay

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-04, 06:39 PM
Linux Mandrake and XP Pro

Well, you know I have it. The usual method applies: partition the disk for Windows and Linux, install Windows, install Linux. If you have room on the disk for Linux, you may be able to rearrange the disk to create space out of the existing partition for Linux and slide Windows over a bit. I have XP Pro and Mandrake 9.1 running on this workstation. I am running Server 9.1 on the servers.

If you stay with 9.1 or 9.2 there will be a lot of updates to download. All the Redhat distros from 9 back are out of support now.

I tried Mandrake 9.2 but it was flaky and went back to 9.1. I tried Mandrake 10.0rc1 but got tired of the bugs. I will wait until I can get the production version to try it again. You know how beta programs can be.

The new kernel supports USB 2.0. Some of the other changes to KDE and Gnome are nice, too.

Of course, Knoppix is very cool running off the CD and all. I got a copy of the Sun Java desktop, but haven't had time to install it on anything.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-11-04, 06:46 PM
tae
I got a copy of the Sun Java desktop, but haven't had time to install it on anything.
$100.00 a YEAR? Oh,i'm sorry....special promotion till june 2nd, $50.00 per user per YEAR.
wow...

Old 04-11-04, 07:43 PM
I just backed up my system so I'm ready to start. Looks like I'm installing Mandrake 9.1 so I'll post back as to how it goes!

Thanks!

Kay