virus or worm

Old 04-10-04, 09:05 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
address bar

In the address bar, there seems to be running log of the things I have in the past searched for, before I got this new computer running XP I could just for instance push the letter "b" scan down to lets say building and simply push delete and it would go away now I cannot for some reason do that.

What am I to do to get this log erased, and is their something I can do, to not have it record in the first place, to avoid this irrrating situation, after all the things I look up that often that I want a log of I have in my favorites,

Please send help

Old 04-10-04, 10:13 PM
tae
Tools/internet options/clear history.....set it to 0

Old 04-10-04, 11:12 PM
M
address

This only erases, the history.

The address bar at top of page where you type in sights you want to go to and then press go, are still not erased.

example I want to go to google, I start to type google and before I am done typing it a drop screen shows up and shows all the gee words I ever visited, I know that this is suppose to be helpful in cutting out the time I would in spend typing google but to me it is annoying and just taked my mind off of what I was trying to do in the first place, I know how to get rid of the history.

Old 04-10-04, 11:31 PM
tae
Individual AutoComplete list entries are fairly easy to delete:

Click in the form's box, and press the down-arrow key to view the previous entries.
Keep pressing the down-arrow key until you've highlighted the bothersome entry.
Press the Del key to delete the entry.
Be sure to use your keyboard for this, as your mouse won't do the trick. Also, this doesn't work for Web addresses typed into Internet Explorer's address bar. To clear those, you need to delete Internet Explorer's History.

Turning off AutoComplete completely

Open Internet Explorer.
Choose Internet Options from the Tools menu.
Click the Content tab.
Click the AutoComplete button.
Click to remove checkmarks from these items:
Web addresses
Forms
User names and passwords on forms
Prompt me to save passwords
Click the Clear Forms button.
Click the Clear Passwords button.
Click OK.

Deleting old entries from the Search Companion

Windows XP's Search Companion also includes an AutoComplete feature, so it can remember every file and phrase you've searched for. Here's how to turn it off, as well:

Choose Search from the Start menu.
Choose Change Preferences.
Choose Turn AutoComplete off.

Old 04-10-04, 11:33 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If you're using IE, search for the Avant add-on (google 'IE AND Avant). It's a nice overlay for IE, lots of features, including 'Tools > Clear Records'.

-Steve G

Old 04-11-04, 09:02 PM
M
address erase

When I clicked in box then scrolled down then pushed delete it did not go away only brought it up in the address box awaiting my pushing go, figuring that it might have went away I checked and it was still their, so I used your other advice about erasing altogether and that was succesful, but it took away somethings I sort of like but I guess if yopu do not know much you can expect to have much. Thanks for getting the address drop downs cleared for me.

Steve I do not understand what you wrote, in answer to me I do not know much about computers, what I do learn it is upgraded and discontinued.

If I am to do something sucessfully, I need step by step instructions, then I have to write them down. And go from there.

Thanks for all the help.

Old 04-11-04, 10:16 PM
tae
read about and download avant here:
http://www.avantbrowser.com/

Old 04-12-04, 08:37 AM
M
download

Went to avantbrowser tried to download site to see what it was like, after so long of waiting I backed out, if something takes that lomg to down load I am afraid it would be to hard to get rid of if I did not like it.

Old 04-12-04, 08:52 AM
las
Visiting Guest
History

I took Tae advise and reset to "0" It worked
good took care of the history fast..but I did reset It
back again to about 3 days I've found that you need
a little bit of history and cookies and such to operate
a computer properly

Old 04-13-04, 09:56 AM
tae
i tried downloading it also. It got stuck at the c/net download.com page. I clicked on the "see all download sites, then on the site listed(qwerks) and it was there and done. it's c/net's site that is slow, not the programs.
http://download.com.com/3002-2356-10281541.html?tag=dir

Last edited by tae; 04-13-04 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-13-04, 09:58 PM
M
virus or worm

I have been trapped all day not being able to use my computer.

I do not know how or why but it seems I have gotten a virus.

I have 2004 Norton anti-virus I guess it went straight through that.

What can I do to get control of my computer?

I cannot browse the net, I cannot open my own homepage, it is now something someone else wants there.

once there homepage page is their I can type google in the address blank but it does no good.

The only way I was able to get here was that someone I answered a question for under the brick and masonry section answered back and it showed up on my mail, I am able to look at my mail, once the person answered my answer to her, I clicked on the link within the e-mail and I then I switched to computer to hopefully get help.

one other time today, I was left a little window and got out on the net ,and tried to down load spybot but had no luck.. I guess after the virus is with you it is to late for spybot, who knows?

This thing has loaded three or sights on to my desk top that everytime I delete it it comes back. I delete it again then go to programs and delete it from there, yes it showed up there as if I installed it or something, Then I delete them from my favorites. yes they were placed here also. then after that I empty my recycle bin to make sure they are gone. But everything comes back when I press internet explorer, its a vicious cycle.

If you can help please send help to me at my e-mail address as this is the only thing that I am able to activate at the present time.

mowpar@verizon.net

I don not know how to set this up as a link where you could just click on it, as I have said I know very little about computer, I know very little, computer language so please help and send answers in english.

Thanks,

Stuck in a worm hole in WV

I hope this goes through

Old 04-13-04, 10:43 PM
tae
I sent you a link in the mail to the mozilla firefox download site. go ahead and use that browser while we work on getting your internet explorer fixed.
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Sounds like you might have gotten one of the new bugs out there. What homepage does it take you to? What does it put on the desktop, and in your favorites? the more info you give us, the better. take a look at this thread:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hreadid=164901
Sound familiar?

Old 04-13-04, 11:58 PM
M
more info

homepage: RV Insurance Microsoft Internet

address http freednshost.info

In programs I find worth a visit, sub-list of worth a visit (sell future payment) (time clock) (tramadol)

Same on Desk except for one that being (you visited)

Old 04-15-04, 08:01 AM
M
help

With no help forthcoming I am going toun install windows and re install, going to loose all my stuff because I do not know how to save it.

This may or may not work but it is the only choice I have,

Thanks

Old 04-15-04, 05:23 PM
tae
Do you have a cd burner, or know how to add a partition? Either way will help you save some of your info. Did you get the link to the other browser?

Old 04-15-04, 07:08 PM
C
You might try ad-aware.

Old 04-15-04, 09:00 PM
M
Sorry!

Yes tae, I did get the Mozilla link up and started.

In fact I wrote a letter to this forum, that day telling you thanks for giving me back my computer, and that I was anxiously awaiting further instruction, as to what to do or how I could go about attacking this virius, but some how I must have pushed the wrong button and it did not get posted. Again I am sorry because your help was greatly appreciated.

I still have the virus on the computer, I am unable to do anything with windows, and the same icons sit on my desktop taunting me every time I turn on the computer.

I guess that I will do as someone had told me from Dell I think, about uninstalling windows and then re-installing it, I will have to go through Dells tech phone and have them talk me through it, and I will loose all my data that is now there it is not a great deal of stuff but just mostly a pain.

If you have come up with a better way around this I would appreciate you further help in this.

I called Norton' s Anti Virus phone
line for help as I just bought there software and it was the 2004 and suppose to upgrade itself.

They told me for 40 bucks they would help me, did not seem to care if I had just spent fifty dollars for there program initially.

Old 04-15-04, 09:03 PM
M
adware advice

I did try adware, and spybot, but they just seem to run scans to see if I had a virus,

After scan, they said basically yup! you got a virus, well duh! I knew that, but it did not tell me what to do to get rid of it, is this what everyone is finding or just me?

Old 04-15-04, 09:09 PM
Use the free anti virus programs listed in the forum note below.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hreadid=157468

Old 04-15-04, 09:30 PM
tae
Ok, if you have a dell, you should be ok reinstalling. You should have a bunch of cd's. the maroon one is the reinstallation cd for windows xp. Should have a blue one for drivers and utilities. Another blue one for the monitor drivers. And some other ones, depending on what all you received in the deal. Simply put the reinstallation cd in the cdr, restart the computer, choose boot from cd, and follow the prompts. You want a clean install on the partition already there(c: ) and a quick format. it's pretty simple. reinstall the drivers(kinda tricky, the drivers disk will tell you whats on the computer, you need to click the driver link, then extract, then install), and you are home free. need any help, just ask. As far as backing up, what do you want to save? Email,favorites, some other programs? If you have a cd burner we can help you there. You can also use your isp to upload files to(small amount) or there are free upload sites available(good for broadband) or even some free backup software(might not be good idea since you don't know where the problem files are).Anything else, just ask!

It can help to turn off system restore and boot into safemode and run adaware or spybot or pestpatrol to get rid of some of these nasty bugs.

Old 04-15-04, 09:30 PM
C
it did not tell me what to do
When Ad Aware returns the final page and shows the spyware, do you select it for removal or what?

Old 04-15-04, 09:55 PM
M
scan

When scan was complete it said that 120 objects found and 120 ojects quarantined.

No change to my problem.

tae if I try to reinstall windows I do not think I can ask for help in the middle of it.

Won't computer be inoperable for use during this time?

Old 04-15-04, 10:21 PM
M
discs

I have: One maroon

7 blue

3 silver

and 1 green disc

I have a CD burner and also have bunch of pictures that I am going to loose, I can copy favorites and stuff like that but the picturtes I guess I can try to load them on to photo-island or something like that.

Old 04-15-04, 10:45 PM
tae
tae if I try to reinstall windows I do not think I can ask for help in the middle of it.Won't computer be inoperable for use during this time?
yeah, but i meant before or after. lol

man, you got alot of disks! if dell tech support will walk you through it for free, by all means use them.

You could burn your pictures to cd.

Old 04-16-04, 12:31 AM
R
120 objects found in adaware??? Wow sounds like you have a major spyware problem.I thought I had a virus awhile back to ,but it turned out to be spyware changing my homepage also called "browser hijacker". When you run Adaware and it quarintines the objects you have to go up and click in the boxes then click next and it gives you the choice to remove them or not.Might not work for everybody but it sure worked for me Good Luck!

Old 04-16-04, 09:25 AM
M
adaware

All the items found, were quarantined, and I went back like you said and deleted them, still no help to current situation.

Is the process of putting pictures on a cd hard to explain, or write down, to someone such as me who only knows what a CD looks like.

Old 04-16-04, 10:09 AM
tae
Look here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e.../cdburning.asp
best i can do right now. my internet connection is running incredibly slow right now.
If you go to the start menu, click on help and support,then click on music,video,games and photos, then click on photos, and it will explain how to use the built in burner software in win xp, for pictures.
To copy files and folders to a CD
Insert a blank, writable CD into the CD recorder.
Open My Computer.
Click the files or folders you want to copy to the CD. To select more than one file, hold down the CTRL key while you click the files you want. Then, under File and Folder Tasks, click Copy this file, Copy this folder, or Copy the selected items.
If the files are located in My Pictures, under Picture Tasks, click Copy to CD or Copy all items to CD, and then skip to step 5.

In the Copy Items dialog box, click the CD recording drive, and then click Copy.
In My Computer, double-click the CD recording drive. Windows displays a temporary area where the files are held before they are copied to the CD. Verify that the files and folders that you intend to copy to the CD appear under Files Ready to be Written to the CD.
Under CD Writing Tasks, click Write these files to CD. Windows displays the CD Writing Wizard. Follow the instructions in the wizard.

Old 04-16-04, 10:18 AM
M
Thanks

Thanks tae for your continued help, I called number for Dell that I had to help me turned out to be a wrong number.

My luck I guess.

Old 04-16-04, 05:43 PM
tae
DELL:
Technical Support:
General Number:1-800-624-9896
Employee Purchase Program:1-800-274-1410
Student, Faculty & Staff Purchase Program:1-800-274-1410

Customer Care:
Home & Office:1-800-624-9897
Small Business:1-877-773-3355
Medium Business:1-877-671-3355
Employee Purchase Program:1-800-274-1410
Student, Faculty & Staff Purchase Program:1-800-274-1410

Old 04-16-04, 09:48 PM
M
My Home page was hijacked recently and I came to this forum for help. I am passing on these two links that were provided by Worldbuilder and Tae,

hijackthis main page:
http://tomcoyote.com/hjt/

Quick tutorial on how to use it.
http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/hijacked/

Download the program Hijackthis from the first link, go to the second link and read the tutorial, visit the spywareinfo.com forum page if necessary and look for people that have similar problem, I assure you there will be at least one other with the same ailment.
Study the suggestions given and apply them to your problem. I am sure you will be able to solve it without having to re-install. Good luck and let us know how things work out.

Robert

Old 04-17-04, 12:31 PM
M
i am back

I have finally got back on line from my un install and re install of windows, now I cannot send mail through outlook express as I once could I can receive but not send, I have talked to Dell My carrier no lick and no luck they say everything is fine. But still will not work.

Old 04-17-04, 01:49 PM
tae
Do all of your windows updates, then see what happens.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: