alternatives to IE

Old 04-17-04, 07:50 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
chfite, alternatives to IE from your post

I was over looking at mozilla's firefox a couple of nights ago after I downloaded the latest microsoft patch.

would I be able to run this alongside IE? would I be able to transfer my bookmarks from IE to firefox and accordingly back to IE6.

since you seem to be more knowledgable than the average computer user what are the features/benefits of running mozilla instead of IE with windows? thx.

Old 04-17-04, 09:56 PM
tae
yes to all.

Old 04-18-04, 04:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Re: chfite, alternatives to IE from your post

Originally posted by jrx10
I was over looking at mozilla's firefox a couple of nights ago after I downloaded the latest microsoft patch. would I be able to run this alongside IE?
Absolutely, 100% yes.

would I be able to transfer my bookmarks from IE to firefox and accordingly back to IE6.
Yup.

since you seem to be more knowledgable than the average computer user what are the features/benefits of running mozilla instead of IE with windows? thx.
Ok...

Mozilla is much less suscpeptible to hijacking.

FireFox is often faster (but not always).

Firefox is much more flexible when it comes to customizing settings.

Firefox has TABBED BROWSING. Yeah!

The mozilla project as a whole supports & conforms to the W3C, which is the most unified group regarding web standards and technologies. IE, technically is horrible at properly rendering websites. This DOES make IE seem better to the lamen, but in reality, it is fostering poorly coded websites which is the LAST thing the web needs more of right now...

There's a lot more. My suggestion is to simply try it alongside IE. Use them both, I do. I also use several toher browsers, but mainly IE and Firefox.

Chris

Old 04-18-04, 05:32 AM
C
WorldBuilder covered it.

Old 04-18-04, 11:32 AM
J
I was playing around with the mozilla firefox browser and it seem to be ok. a couple of questions. does norton av, and zone alarm automatically cover the firefox browser? 2) I ran into this while playing around with firefox and I'm some what concerned. could this be a problem? this has never appeared with IE.

also can this privacy window be set up for quick access from the toolbar (without having to go thru tools options etc)? and is this about the right size for the cache setting? thanks.

Old 04-18-04, 01:07 PM
C
1. Norton covers all the activities on your computer.

2. This happened the first time that you used IE or its predecessor. If you did not check the box, you never saw it again. The padlock icon on the page for a site that is https:// also shows the secure nature of the page. The closed padlock will appear in the lower right hand corner of the browser border next to the cookie symbol when the page is encrypted.

3. 50 MB is where mine is set. On a 40 GB drive, it would be slightly more than one percent of the drive space.

In Edit, Preferences, Privacy and Security, SSL you can set how you want the browser to behave in many situations concerning security.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-18-04, 05:39 PM
I'm just glad to see another person using Firefox! YEAH! The Force is with us.

Chris

Old 04-19-04, 12:37 AM
S
Originally posted by WorldBuilder
I'm just glad to see another person using Firefox! YEAH! The Force is with us.

Chris
I just started using firefox and love it!

Old 04-19-04, 09:35 AM
I use FireFox!
I wish there was more unity with browsers and 3rd party components, including such programs as WinMediaPlayer.
I am a AOL hater, and Netscape was destroyed by AOL.
Once I found out that Mozilla was what Netscapa v.6.0 & up was, I have never used netscape since. I wish Opera offered their program for a lower price for the ad-free version. I used it for a while, but found the interface to difficult to customize or reduce to useful functions (more that super essntials but not the full set).
I await the day MS releases v.7.0 of IE. Their software updating proceedures are on my list of most anticipated improvements.

My $.025

gj

Old 04-19-04, 09:59 AM
R
If you do go with a third party browser, do not uninstall IE. There are still some web sites that do not work properly with other browsers. This is unfortunate, but a fact of life, I suppose.

When I first started using my bank's web site for Internet banking, I found that I could not initiate a bill payment with Netscape. Using IE worked every time, but something about their coding prevented Netscape from working. I complained to them and they kept trying to tell me it was my fault (I hate working with tech support, especially when I know more than they do). I finally got them to realize and admit that it was a problem on their end . I don't know if they ever fixed it, I just use IE when I set up bill payments and have no problems.

Old 04-19-04, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by racraft
If you do go with a third party browser, do not uninstall IE. There are still some web sites that do not work properly with other browsers. This is unfortunate, but a fact of life, I suppose.
That's due to poor W3C standard support that a lot of websites are made by. IE allows for such bad coding, other browsers don't. That's what I was getting at earlier. IE, because of its lack of standard support will take pretty much any site and make it work. This fosters bad coding habits and is one reason the web can get very annoying very quick.

Chris

Old 04-19-04, 11:22 AM
las
Visiting Guest
Mozilla firefox

Just finished downloading mozilla firefox
so far looks really good...my system
has picked up speed as well so thats
a real plus

Old 04-19-04, 01:26 PM
Tell your friends! Spread the word! Firefox rules!

Chris

Old 04-19-04, 02:49 PM
las
Visiting Guest
firefox

This new version of mozilla Is great
cause all the bookmarks that you had with I.E. will automatically come over has
Imported bookmarks..so that was a real plus not having to type out the bookmarks all over again

Old 04-19-04, 02:52 PM
las
Visiting Guest
I.E. for photos

I do not know how firefox Is for photos so far so good..I know the I.E. would be the route to go If Into pics all the time?

Old 04-19-04, 05:27 PM
J
I've had a problem with the bookmark transfer. for the most part it came over from IE in a random order, and not organized in an a to z fashion. I can go in to the firefox bookmarks, manage bookmarks, then view with sort by name and a to z sort checked but it only sorts the open window correctly and it doesn't transfer this sort to the bookmark in the toolbar. also when you right click on an open bookmark folder, there doesn't appear to be a "sort by name" or "rename" listing. too bad

Old 04-20-04, 06:52 AM
las
Visiting Guest
click over Imported bookmarks

If your coming from the I.E. your
book marks will be labelled Imported bookmarks...I didn't realize this myself
I actual discovered It by accident
just click over Imported bookmarks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: