Wireless router

Old 05-14-04, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wireless router

Well, after debating whether or not to go wireless, the deciding factor was the after-rebate price for the two units I was looking at were the same. One was Netgear MR814 (wireless which can still be wired) and the other was Netgear RP614. So I went for the wireless.

Hooked my computer to it by wire with no problem. Got a wireless card for my girlfriends laptop, and that is working fine. But my question is, what should I change in the router so that others cant access the internet through it. In the security thingy, I found her laptop accessing the router, and named it, and put her on the accepted list.

Also, it has "True Firewall. SPI and NAT Protection." Do I have to do anything to configure this so that I am not leaving access to the computers on the network open. There isnt very much information about any of this with the product. Other than that, I like it so far.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-04, 05:26 AM
You might change the password to the router to keep others from making changes to your router, set up MAC address filtering to keep others from connecting to the internet through your router, make sure that file and printer sharing are off unless you use wireless equivalent privacy, at least, to protect the wireless network. If you are running Windows, make sure that unneeded ports are closed.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-15-04, 06:15 AM
I also recommend that you change the address range for the router. Most come setup for 192.168.0.x, or 192.168.1.x. I recommend changing the third octet (the 0 or the 1) to ay other number. Valid numbers are in the range of 0 to 255.

Yes, definitely change the password needed to access the router. Make sure that you know what the new password is.

Further, you should hardwire your own computer to a valid IP address, and if possible turn off DHCP. If your girlfriend's laptop needs DHCP access then there are ways to allow specific MAC addresses, and you would setup your router to allow only her MAC address to connect using DHCP.

Depending on what you do over the Internet, you may not be able to do this, but one last item to do is to disable all incoming ports. You will still be able to initiate outgoing connections, but incoming connections won't work. Keep in mind that this won;t work with some games and programs, so if you run into trouble you will need to open some specific ports and forward them to the correct PC.

Old 05-17-04, 05:51 AM
Thanks for the help chfite and racraft. I adjusted all the recommended items except for port blocking. I dont see any mention of it anywhere in the router configuration and when I tried looking it up in the Help file, I could not find mention of it in there. Is it possible that it cannot be changed on the router? Or might it be under a different name. I spent at least 30-60 minutes trying to figure it out with no luck. I will try again later today and perhaps with a fresh perspective will find that I simply overlooked it. I'd like to add that the firewall on my computer has not reported any "attempted attacks" yet since the router has been connected and it would usually report once or twice a day....

Old 05-17-04, 06:41 PM
You may instead have to enable port forwarding for some routers. I forward port 445, Sasser pathway, to my linux server. You could forward these ports to an address out of the range of your DHCP assignments to keep them away from Windows computers. You could set the range of DHCP assignments to a lower upper bound and use the higher assignments for a forwarded port. Sort of the same thing as forwarding the port into the trash bin.

Hope this helps.