MS config in Windows XP?

Old 05-31-04, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
MS config in Windows XP?

I am trying to help a friend clean up her start menu in Windows XP...I use Win98SE, and it's pretty straight forward in running msconfig...but XP is a bit confusing to me...Can anyone guide me in viewing all the programs that are starting in XP at boot-up?...Do I need to disable System Restore, etc...?

I know she probably has a bunch of trash programs that start at boot-up...Spybot and Adaware alone found almost 1,000 bad entries...

Yes, I know I'm living in the dark ages w/98se, but it's the one I prefer...

Thanks in advance to all who reply,
Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-04, 10:40 AM
Rather than dabble in msconfig, run the current signatures in Ad Aware and make sure a virus scanner is current and in use. She can discipline herself to use the programs: Ad Aware daily, and the virus scanner all the time. She should have all the patches to XP installed on her computer.

To remove some viruses, system restore must be turned off. See the relevant post on this subject.

Unwanted items in the start menu can be removed by right clicking on them and making the appropriate selection to remove from this list.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-31-04, 11:06 AM
Thanks Chris....I'll let her know...

Matt

Old 05-31-04, 12:04 PM
Go to Majorgeeks.com or download.com, and search for 'Windows Startup Inspector'. Its a free download, and works great.

After installed, run it with an internet connection open. It will show you all programs running at start up. Click 'consult', and it will tell you what each ones does, and allows you to turn off or on programs needed. This way you don't delete something you might want to use later, but don't want running at start up.

My 2

Old 05-31-04, 03:40 PM
Hey Prowallguy,

Thanks for the info..I'll check it out and post back when I found out some results...

M-

Old 06-02-04, 07:23 AM
fritz99
Visiting Guest
Check out blackviper.com, he will tell you what all the services at startup mean. Be warned that stopping some services will render your system un bootable.
fritz99

Old 06-02-04, 07:30 AM
Thanks fritz99..i'll check into it...Checked out "windows startup manager" but it was somewhat obtrusive....and, it wanted to start at bootup, everytime, which is one of the things I'm trying to fix! Never could figure out how to get "consulted", either....

But thanks to all who've replied,