Lost Internet Connection

Old 06-07-04, 06:32 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lost Internet Connection

You may remember me from my posts a short while ago regarding setting up a home network. With your help, I managed to get it going and it has worked well for a couple of months now.

- upstairs machine: emachine600 mhz
Windows XP Pro
- downstairs machine: emachine 2.6 ghz
Windows XP Home
- cable modem, SMC router

Last night, for some unknown reason, the downstairs machine no longer has internet access (email & browsing).

There have been no physical changes to the setup--no new hardware or wiring--and no new software has been added. (I did do an upgrade to my Zonealarm Free Version firewall but that was a few weeks ago ... no problems after the upgrade.)

I am a bit of a klutz when it comes to understanding networks so if someone could get me started on how to troubleshoot this problem, I would be grateful.

Thanks,

Chris

Old 06-07-04, 06:42 AM
R
It would help if you told us how your network is configured. Dynamic or static IP addresses? What IP address range? Etc.

Can you see the other PC on the network? Can you connect to the router? Can you ping the router? What happens whn you type ipconfig at a command prompt? DOes XP indicate that your network card is operating properly?

Old 06-07-04, 10:45 AM
E
Originally Posted by racraft
Dynamic or static IP addresses?
I am not sure how to check that
What IP address range? Etc.
These are the numbers that come up when I run ipconfig.exe on each machine:

Upstairs ...... IP ADDRESS ............192.168.2.102
....................SUBNET MASK ...........255.255.255.0
....................DEFAULT GATEWAY ...192.168.2.1

Downstairs ....IP ADDRESS ..............192.168.2.100
....................SUBNET MASK ............255.255.255.0
....................DEFAULT GATEWAY .....192.168.2.1
Can you see the other PC on the network?
Yes. Each machine can see the other.
Can you connect to the router?
Not sure what you mean by that. The Upstairs machine connects to the Downstairs as well as the internet. The downstairs machine sees the Upstairs machine but NOT the internet.
Can you ping the router?
On the Upstairs PC .... when I pinged 192.168.2.1 (I assume that's the router?), there was no reply. When I pinged 192.168.2.100 (the Downstairs PC?), there was a reply.

On the Downstairs PC ...when I pinged 192.168.2.1, there was no reply. When I pinged 192.168.2.102, there was a reply.
DOes XP indicate that your network card is operating properly?
Device manager says that the NIC is OK.

Old 06-07-04, 11:13 AM
R
One comment. If you don't know how to connect to the router, then you probably haven't changed the default settings and you have a very unsafe (unsecure) connection. Both of your computers are open and ripe for someone to connect up and look around, and to steal things like credit card numbers, your social security number, any files, etc. It is entirely possible that you have either a virus or spyware that is preventing your computer from reaching the internet. It is also possible that someone has connected to your router and is preventing your main computer from reaching the Internet.

I recommend resetting the router and then configuring it for security. This will most likely fix your problems.

If you don't know how to reset and configure the router, the read the manual. It will tell you how to do this. In the future I recommend that you read the manual on any devices that you connect to your computer so that you know how they operate. You are asking for trouble with a setup that you don't understand.

Old 06-07-04, 11:58 AM
Try reseting the TCP/IP stack, click start, then run, type "cmd" (without quotes) and click ok. In the command window type
"netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt" (without quotes), then reboot.

Old 06-07-04, 12:16 PM
E
In the future I recommend that you read the manual on any devices that you connect to your computer so that you know how they operate. You are asking for trouble with a setup that you don't understand.
Always sound advice. Actually, I did read the manual but there are things I still don't understand. That is why I am asking questions.

Old 06-07-04, 02:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
By any chance, is the router an SMC7004VBR?

I had one and it failed on me in a week. Was cucca...

That's what I would suspect, dead router.

Now, to test. try "ipconfig /renew? on the downstairs machine. Does it get the web now?

If not, try another port on the router.

Regardless, plug the UPSTAIRS machine into the port where the downstairs machine is right now. Try to renew the upstairs machine. If it fails, then it's the port on the router.

HTH,

Chris

Old 06-07-04, 03:57 PM
E
Originally Posted by WorldBuilder
By any chance, is the router an SMC7004VBR?
Nope. It's an SMC7004ABR. Close enough to be cucca?

BTW, I am typing this message on the Downstairs PC After trying all your & Dave's suggestions, I thought I'd try one idea of my own. I pressed the RESET button on the front of the router. Worked

The way things are set up down here, the router (just the router, not the PC) is powered up 24/7. Is that a bad idea?

If not, why the need to reset it?

Chris 2 (or am I Chris 3???

Old 06-07-04, 04:38 PM
The router should never be turned off. Why did it need a reset? God only knows... What can I say, it sounds to me like it vomited and needed a good cleaning out.

Chris "some number"

Old 06-07-04, 05:29 PM
I have to reset my router once an a while. I think I know why too. Most routers have a built in firewall. Its called NAT. I believe that stands for Network Access Translation. Anyway, I believe that a hacker or something else gets caught by the router and stops internet access, and by reseting the router it will fix it. I don't know if yours is the same situation, but by looking at your post, it sounds like it is. Once in a rare while, you will find out that you need to power cycle your modem too. To do that, you just unplug the power to the modem and then plug back in again.

I will also add, that if you were secure without a firewall before, you arnt now. By posting your IP numbers on the internet, you are at a high risk of attack from a hacker. My best advice is to get a firewall as soon as possible! Click the link bellow for a list of Firewalls and antivirus removal tools including spyware tools.
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=157468

Old 06-07-04, 06:33 PM
R
The fact that one PC worked and other did not is a sign that it probably was not a permanent problem with the router. Other clues to this same conclusion were that the router worked on the intranet, and that both PCs worked on the intranet.

There is nothing wrong with leaving the router on 24/7. There is also nothing worng with turning it off when not in use.

Not that I want to take away from you, but reesetting the router was an idea I presented early on.

Now that things are working, I recommend that you plug the security holes in the router. For starters, change the IP subnet that you are operating your intranet on. Keep in the 192.168 range, but choose something else for the third octet than 0 or 1.

Next make sure that you have a password in place on the router. Then make sure that the router configuration is not accessible from the internet, but only from your local intranet.

Finally, I recommend hardwiring the IP addresses on your two local computers and then disabling DHCP. DHCP is great, but there is no need for it when you have a small number of computers and aren't planning on having friends over.

Old 06-07-04, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by Terminator20
I will also add, that if you were secure without a firewall before, you arnt now. By posting your IP numbers on the internet, you are at a high risk of attack from a hacker.
Editor, DON'T worry about this statement...

Terminator, the only IP's he displayed were internal ones. They won't do any hacker a bit of good unless he also posted (or they already know) his external IP address).

It's ok to post INTERNAL IP addresses on the web.

Chris

Old 06-07-04, 08:11 PM
E
Chris
This is not a competition but I think your advice states the best course Chris ... DON'T WORRY. (I wuz gonna play my guitar tonight but controversy is interesting too)

racraft: I think it was Shakespeare that said "He who steals my purse takes garbage...," or words to that effect. Yes, I have a firewall. Yes, I have anti-virus software. Yes, I have a spyware remover. Yes, I have all the latest Microsoft patches... but now my PC is so slow, it can't run my Apple Emulator & the original arcade version of Frogger! Not only that, but my Spam Monitor now erases email from old high school chums without even asking. I, for one, have had enough of the rampant paranoia so prevalent these days in so many walks of life.

(Editor's note: please don't take this venting personally racraft; this is the second time in a month that I have requested help from the great resources available in internet forums only to be told, in so many words, that I do not deserve the right to the knowledge unless I have 'paid my dues', I don't know about you but I have spent over 30 years in a trade that is being invaded by young whipper-snappers that are looking for shortcuts...can't stand 'em ... lazy good-for-nothings

The point being; if some industrious person were to hack into my 'Fort Knox', they would become heir to my maxxed-out credit cards, my overdue mortgage, my truck-with-no-transmission, my wife's car with no floorboards ... do you see what I mean? THEY are welcome to it.

These forums are a source of facts/fictions ... whatever. I do not believe or act on anything just because someone tells me to do so. Most of the time, I solve the problem myself anyway--after weighing ALL the suggestions and comparing them to my own intuition.

My grandfather used to be my best teacher...he would tell me what NOT to do (THAT list was always shorter than the things that I SHOULD do & would not scare me off trying things I was unfamiliar with ie. "Don't put your hands in the forge but if you put a piece of iron in it, you can bend it." He never said "Stay away from the forge!' ... he also didn't tell me what shape to bend the iron into either ;-)

Anyway, 'nuff said. ALL you people do a great job. As the other Chris said, don't worry so much. Give bad advice. Give good advice. Give advice

I'll be back.

Chris

Old 06-08-04, 05:52 AM
Well said, mon ami!

I'm all for protection, but going overboard and being paranoid is something else entirely. It's like post-9/11 fear (although no one actually calls it "fear"). Let's not go there, though...

Live life. When you get advice, you can do one of two things. Accept it or reject it. If rejected, the advice giver shouldn't be offended.

There's no real need for a firewall on your PC if you have a reasonable router. Lemme put it this way, if a petty "script kiddie" gets in, who really cares? He probably couldn't get in anyways, so there's little worry.

Wanna keep out the hardcore hackers? Of course we do, BUT do you (I mean you in general) really think you can? NO! It's like a car alarm. You can have the best alarm on earth, and it will keep out casual thieves, but if a thief truly wants your car, he's going to get it, period.

Relax, folks. I'm no different than you all. Realistically, NO ONE wants my garbage, and they don't want yours, either.

Chris

Old 06-08-04, 07:16 AM

Terminator, the only IP's he displayed were internal ones. They won't do any hacker a bit of good unless he also posted (or they already know) his external IP address).

It's ok to post INTERNAL IP addresses on the web.

Chris
Absolutely correct, there are tens of thousands of PC's with those exact same internal IP's, 192.168.XXX.XXX are designated for internal networks, almost all routers for the general home networking public use them.

Old 06-08-04, 06:59 PM
E
Well said, mon ami!

I'm all for protection, but going overboard and being paranoid is something else entirely. It's like post-9/11 fear (although no one actually calls it "fear"). Let's not go there, though...
No bad feelings towards racraft. He has given me much good advice in the past (knowingly or unknowingly). It was I that reacted emotionally but I think I explained why. I still have a sense of wonder when I power this piece of plastic up & find that there are others that have broken dryers, dying petunias, bad warranties on products purchased with hard-earned money ... the solution is to compare notes...help each other out. It is such a maddening thing to me when someone asks a question & is told (in so many words) that they don't have the right to the knowledge needed to answer it.

That being said, I respect racraft's (or anyone else's) right to impart his opinion ... on any subject ... at any time. The key word is 'respect'. It must be mutual and therein lies the (I think) hilarious irony. Having read 'the manual' on a number of things in my lifetime, my final conclusion is that those who wrote 'the manuals', obviously do not have a sense of humour, otherwise they would have realised that if the reader had the knowledge needed to understand 'the manual', 'the manual' would not be necessary ;-)

Perhaps I am naive; I believe the statement so common on all the forums I come across -- THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTION. If naive, c'est la vie.

Say Chris 1 ... 2 ... 3? I forget too WHY NOT 'go there'? I live in a great country, just as you do. I watched the planes crash into the buildings & never once did I feel anything for the planes or the buildings. I KNEW there were people killed and other lives horribly affected. Once upon a time, YOU could bounce into MY country for a visit ... I could bounce into YOURS. No more. THAT is how terrorism works. Makes me mad.

Anyway, enough negativity. Know where Polish people keep their armies? ....

..... in their sleevies

(Polish people tell the same joke ... but they substitute 'Canadian' for 'Polish'

A Chris

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: