Dos/Windows

Old 06-07-04, 01:00 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dos/Windows

does anyone know how to correct the computer so it don't automatically load dos? a friend of mine 's computer is a dell university computer refurbished and when it's turned on loads dos instead of windows.....

Old 06-07-04, 01:14 PM
R
You are somewhat mistaken. Earlier versions of Windows have DOS as the underpinning OS. Windows is then loaded on top of DOS. If you removed DOS then Windows would not work. In other words, DOS is required and you can't avoid it.

Your problem is that Widnows is not automatically started once the autoexec.bat file finishes being executed.

You have to choices.

You can add a line to the bottom of the autoexec.bat file that gives the command to start windows, which is windows, or you can modify the msdos.sys file in the root direcory and set the loadgui line to yes.

Old 06-08-04, 05:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 57 Posts
I could be wrong (no!), but as I recall the autoexec command to start windows was "win". SHould be the last line in the autoexec.bat file.

Old 06-08-04, 05:17 AM
R
You may be right, it may be 'win' instead of 'windows'. Either way, it's the last command in the autoecexc file, or use the msdos.sys file method.

Old 06-08-04, 05:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 57 Posts
"Windows" might work, too, but "win" was the usual way, plus you could add other variables on, i.e. win/s, etc (but don't ask what the various modes were). Really show your age when you can remember stuff like that.

Old 06-08-04, 07:38 AM
What version of Windows is installed? 3.X requires the WIN command at the end of the autoexec.bat, a proper install of WIN 9X should not require this command. If it is 9X, the machine may have been restarted to MS-DOS mode, type "exit" (without quotes) at the command prompt and hit enter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: