Virus?

Old 06-11-04, 05:59 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Virus?

Okay. I have a 1 year old Dell 4550, P4 2.53, XP home, 768 MB RAM. Flawless till now... yesterday, when bringing the computer back from standby, there was a strange screen. I don't remember everything it said, but recall that it was counting down to do something, and said I could press F3 to get the last good configuration, which I did. Then windows started, and I ran System Restore to take the computer back two days, thinking this was some kind of fluke. All seemed well. The next time I brought it out of standby, however, there was a a different screen I'd never seen. This one was blue (but not the infamous blue screen of death), and also had some text I'd never seen before. Again I don't remember most of it, but it had something to do with "stop," and suggested that I restart the computer if this was the first time I'd ever encountered this text. The last thing it said was something about a memory dump. It was frozen in this state. So I restarted the computer, and all seemed well for that session, except for the fact that I could not enable Norton Auto-Protect or Norton Personal FIrewall. (I had disabled auto-protect and Norton Firewall prior to running the aforementioned System Restore). In addition, the status for Norton also said "Error" next to "e-mail scanning." This morning when I started it (after shutting it down last night), the computer said there was a keyboard failure, and the mouse would not move the cursor. So I restarted, and it ran okay, and the Norton AV and FW settings were back to normal (Auto-Protect on and Firewall enabled). I am stumped. I update virus definitions at least every week, and always leave AV and the firewall on. I ran full system virus scans several times during the course of all this, and came up with nothing each time. What is going on, and how can I fix it? (Sorry for the length of this, but I wanted to provide as much detail as possible.)

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-04, 06:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by eclipse
...This one was blue (but NOT the infamous blue screen of death), and also had some text I'd never seen before. Again I don't remember most of it, but it had something to do with "stop," and suggested that I restart the computer if this was the first time I'd ever encountered this text. The last thing it said was something about a memory dump. It was frozen in this state.
Ok, Eclipse. Out of all of that, I wanted to highlight this in particular. You said it's NOT a typical BSOD error. Well, I don't think that's right because what you describe (the memory dump, stop error, and suggestion of reboot) are CLASSIC BSOD messages. I think you DID, in fact have a BSOD error. Try to downloading and running the Windows Memory Diagnostic as it is as good as anything else at finding RAM problems (none are amazingly great).

Also, TRY to get at least the meat & potatoes of the message next time you see it. Oftentimes, there is a specific error mesage referenced.

Finally, do you know of distributed computing efforts like SETI? Try running SETI or some other one (I can give more info if you like). When you run them, set them to run 24/7. These programs serve a secondary purpose in that they (since they use constant system resources) ALWAYS write to HDD's and use RAM. They are GREAT at detecting problems because they will error very often if there are hardware problems.

Report back, mate.

Chris

Old 06-11-04, 07:45 AM
Thanks. I have no idea of what SETI is (being relatively technologically challenged), so I will try the Windows Memory Diagnostic first and see how it turns out. What is strange is that it seems that it's a different "bug" each time something happens, so I don't know if I'll see that particular blue screen again. For what it's worth, the computer came with 256 MB of memory, and I added a 512 MB module (from PNY) a couple of months ago, but until yesterday, everything had been fine.

Old 06-11-04, 09:02 AM
las
Visiting Guest
Delete all but the latest restore npoint

I know that who ever had my computer last was french thats why I delete all but the latest restore points.I do a lot of restarts In safemode never had
to go back to a restore point.Lately of zapped two viruses got them from people I know gee whiz

Old 06-11-04, 10:27 AM
What do you mean "I know that who ever had my computer last was french"?

I hope you didn't get a used compouter and just start using it. If this computer was used by someone else then you should have reformatted the hard drives and started over from scratch.

Using a computer that has been used without properly reinstalling the OS on a clean ahard drive is foolhardy and asking fro trouble. Not to mention the risk you take that the hard drive contains information that could get you into trouble.

Old 06-11-04, 12:48 PM
las
Visiting Guest
Refurbished

It was refurbished and reformatted I believe...It's just that I saw evidence of french so i take it,It originated In Quebec?

Old 06-11-04, 01:09 PM
Aegis
Visiting Guest
Aha! It's probably Canada's fault! Blame Canada!

Anyway, along the same lines, I'm fighting the ghost error from hell. The error takes the form of the random BSOD (had the irq_not_less_than, the kmode_exception, the unhandled_exception...or whatever they all are...) the hard freeze, and the computer sits there, but doesn't post -doesn't even beep and they/it seems correlated to nothing. I've tried 3 separate dimms, 4 different hdd's (all of which I'm now convinced are bad...seriously though, two *are* IBM Deathstars), two different graphics cards, two different power supplys, even testing each cpu by itself. The absolutely frustrating thing is that, when it does boot, it can run that mem-86 (or thereabouts) program flawlessly --about the only thing that runs flawlessly. My computer is possessed and I think it's a message from God that I should stay away from it.

I've never been good at listening though.

I just needed to get that off my chest, thank you.

Old 06-11-04, 01:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Aegis, since you've tried everything else, I would test the motherboard by swapping it out with another one! It's pretty much all that's left.

Chris