ME? XP? Help!

Old 06-13-04, 02:01 PM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Question ME? XP? Help!

Hi all,
Recently got a three-year-old computer with a 600 MHz processor, and 128Mb memory from my brother-in-law. The computer originally was a Windows ME floor demo model, and came with no discs or manuals whatsoever. He screwed things up, filling the computer with spyware and viruses and his uncle had to wipe everything clean. He then installed 98SE, but only half way. Needless to say, much of the computer doesn't seem to work, and it won't recognize the modem, or net card. It also appears that there is no sound driver.
I would like to reinstall ME, since that's what it originally had. Then I got to thinking maybe I should install XP? Or should I stick with 98SE?
I suppose I will have to buy one type of software or another, and I am looking for opinions.
Thanks very much

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-04, 04:51 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do not install MyEnemy. MyEnemy is the absolute worst operating system that Microsoft ever produced.

Either install Windows 98 second edition, or go up to XP. Only go up to XP if you can upgrade the memory on the machine to at least 256 MBytes. 128 is not enough to adequately run XP.

Do not install MyEnemy. MyEnemy is the absolute worst operating system that Microsoft ever produced.

Old 06-13-04, 05:00 PM
C
From what you have posted your machine meets the minimum for XP. It needs 256 MB of memory to run satisfactorily. It will run on 128, but it is so ugly.

Absolutely do not install Windows ME. It is a disaster.

Windows 98SE is not too bad. If you have to buy anything, get the memory and get XP.

Microsoft should have apologized for ME and sent refund checks.

Old 06-13-04, 05:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You'll have to excuse Bob here. He really doesn't like Windows ME. He's right though. It really isn't any good.

What do you mean that 98 was only "half installed"? Personally, since RAM is cheap, I would install an additional 256 MB (totalling 384) and then XP Home.

Chris

Old 06-13-04, 06:07 PM
tae
Let's not forget windows 2000. I like it much better than windows 98. You will probably still need the drivers for the modem,sound card,lan,video,etc. If you don't have these, you will need to find out the make/model of the ones you have and find somewhere to download them from. A newer operating system like xp might have the drivers, and then again, it might not. if you have windows98, stick with it, just get the drivers. If you are going to buy a new operating system, w2k will be cheaper than xp, and has less requirements(it will run better on less machine) than xp. On that computer, to adequately run xp, you would have to disable alot of the "extras" that really make xp.....xp.

Old 06-14-04, 04:45 AM
R
I am always careful not to recommend Windows 2000 for home systems if I don't know how the user intends to use the system. Windows 2000 is built on Windows NT code. As such it does not support the graphics necessary for many games and such.

Old 06-14-04, 05:50 AM
Originally Posted by racraft
Windows 2000 is built on Windows NT code.
uuummmmmmmm, isn't XP as well?

Regardless, as far as I know, since about SP2 in 2000, most games don't have a problem, either. 2000 could be a viable choice!

Chris

Old 06-14-04, 06:03 AM
R
No. XP is very different from NT and from Windows 9x. XP does not have the same limitations as Windows NT and Windows 2000 when it comes to games.

Old 06-14-04, 06:03 AM
XP is also based on NT, but 2000 was not designed for the average home user and it is a bit quirky when it comes to some games, if he's going to invest in a new OS, XP is the way to go IMHO, stay as far away from ME as possible.

Old 06-14-04, 10:27 AM
las
Visiting Guest
Reformat It

Just get windows xp windows 98/SE Is good If your a computer
whiz and know It all other wise xp.Go and see a used computer dealer and he can reformat It for you.!

Old 06-14-04, 02:23 PM
tae
the only games i ever had trouble with in w2k were the old,old dos games. I am a pretty big gamer, so i do/did play alot of them. When it was first released, it had trouble with some games....not as much as nt4 did. All the service packs since then have pretty much taken care of that. it is a good os for the average home user. makes the transition to xp easy. Now w2k server on the other hand......not for the faint of heart.

Old 06-18-04, 08:05 AM
Follow-up

Thanks guys very much!
We didn't install MyEnemy. Instead, we removed Windows 98 (it turned out to be just plain 98, NOT SE!), installed Windows 2000 Professional, and added memory, bringing it up to 256K. We were going to go the XP route, but the computer only has a 10 MB Hard drive, so we decided that might be a bit small.
I haven't actually tried the computer yet, as it is sitting in the back of my car right now. Hopefully soon I'll have a chance to get either a DSL or cable modem, and I'll be up and running. My wife will be jealous, and hopefully I can convince her to drop her AOL and the horrible dial-up connection
Thanks again!

Old 06-19-04, 01:02 PM
Oops--
I meant 10 Gigabyte hard drive

Old 06-19-04, 01:13 PM
C
Although somewhat small for general use, 10GB is plenty for an installation of XP.

Old 06-19-04, 01:19 PM
R
Why would your wife continue to use a dial up connection if you get DSL or a cable modem connection? SHe can still use AOL if you have a high speed connection (although I cannot think of a reason why anyone would).

Last edited by WorldBuilder; 06-19-04 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Unnecessary language
Old 06-19-04, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by racraft
Why would your wife continue to use a dial up connection if you get DSL or a cable modem connection? SHe can still use AOL if you have a high speed connection (although I cannot think of a reason why anyone would).
Because there are some people (like MY wife, obviously as well as Andrew's) who already have an AOL account. For instance, my wife's friends all know her AOL address, and for a measly $6 a month, she can keep it so they can continue to use it. There's no reason for her to get rid of it. If she likes it, keep it. After all, it's her AOL account, not yours.

Chris

Old 06-19-04, 08:26 PM
tae
why not use AOL's bring your own access. keep all your AOl info, but use the cable/dsl connection. I think it's around $10.00 a month. AOL is a great place for internet socializing.
By the way, don't forget to let us know what you think of w2k once you get it running, and used to it.

Old 06-20-04, 05:08 AM
R
I was not suggesting dumping AOL. What I was suggesting was the bring your own option, whereby you use another means to connect to the Internet and then access your account.

It makes no sense to pay twenty something every month and use slow dialup when you can pay much less (tae says around ten dollars) and use a high speed connection. You still keep your AOL email and can still access all the AOL features.