Blank Screen with Cursor

Old 06-22-04, 07:51 AM
angeluck
Visiting Guest
Angry Blank Screen with Cursor

Last Wed after growing very tired of getting shortcut errors from the HP OfficeJet 6110 software I had installed, I decided to remove it for probably the 20th time (long story.) After using the software's uninstaller, I went in to program add/remove to make sure there were no HP components left. I then called HP to tell them what was happening, since the error was still coming up with or withour software. Their only suggestion was to reinstall the software, which I knew wasn't going to work. So I turned the machine off and called it a night.

My frustration? When I go to turn on my computer all I get is a blank screen with a cursor in the upper left corner. When I shut this down, directly at the tower and restart, I then get the option of Normal load, Boot load, Safe-mode, and Diagnostic. The only one that doesn't still produce a blank screen is safe-mode. However, I have no idea what to do in safe mode to get my computer back to normal.

I tried system restore, but it keeps saying System Restore can not run until the computer successfully loads.

I am at my whit's end. I can most likely take the machine to Best Buy or other computer repair place, but wanted to avoid that.

Any suggestions?? I'm willing try anything.

Computer is a Dell with OS Windows ME.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-04, 08:12 AM
You might try to restore any corrupted files with System File Checker

http://help.stargate.net/general/sfc.shtml

Sort of this working, you may be faced with having to re-install the Windows ME operating system. With a package computer such as a Dell, this may entail restoring the system to its original state when purchased by means of the restore CDs that came with the computer.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-22-04, 08:14 AM
As far as the problem with HP, all programs and files related to HP and its activities need to be uninstalled in order to resolve problems with the printer programs. A fresh installation after complete removal is the best approach to this problem. See HP's website for more of an explanation of this.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-22-04, 01:51 PM
angeluck
Visiting Guest
My difficulty with reinstalling the OS is that my CD driver isn't being recognized. I've tried a diagnostic CD, the re-installation CD, the driver does nothing. Using Run and typing in D:\ does nothing either.

I forgot to try the SFC while I was home.

What have I done?

Old 06-22-04, 06:34 PM
If you can get to the internet and have a blank 3.5 floppy you can make a Windows ME boot disk. This will get the computer started with CD support if the CD drive will work at all. Then you can use your CD.

Get the file here: http://www.24by7.ca/files/bootme.exe

Hope this helps.

Old 06-29-04, 08:11 PM
WaltSnider
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by chfite
If you can get to the internet and have a blank 3.5 floppy you can make a Windows ME boot disk. This will get the computer started with CD support if the CD drive will work at all. Then you can use your CD.

Get the file here: http://www.24by7.ca/files/bootme.exe

Hope this helps.
chfite, perhaps booting directly to the CD and changing the boot order in the BIOS would be a good route?

Old 06-29-04, 08:16 PM
angeluck
Visiting Guest
I took my tower into Best Buy last week. The short version of what was wrong, according to them, was my registry was corrupted. What caused this corruption is anyone's guess.

Old 06-29-04, 08:16 PM
angeluck
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanks for the help, though.