Laptop won't boot! How do I save my files!!

Old 06-26-04, 02:05 PM
Luckey312
Visiting Guest
Angry Laptop won't boot! How do I save my files!!

I own a Dell Insiron 4150. Its been a great laptop. It runs fine and has for a long time, but I recently had gotten so fet up with all of the spyware and viruses that kept on creeping into my system folder that I decided to do a reinstallation of WIndows XP. I did so and came upon a STOP message: MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS, which I'm not even concerned about anymore. After turning off hte computer it informed me that a file had been damaged in the SYSTEM32 folder, which really got me angry. Now I am to the point where I just want to get some of my pictures from my digital camera off of my computer before it completely crashes. I have done dskchk's and the drive has not failed yet. YET! BUT! Some of the computer places around here have told me that they will backup the drive for around 100 dollars! Ug!

Anyway to get these files off using my PC? Maybe somehow use the laptop drive as a slave to my PC? There has to be a way

HELP!

Old 06-26-04, 10:10 PM
tae
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kits are widely available that convert most notebook 2 1/2" IDE hard disk drives from a 44-pin cable with power to a standard 40-pin IDE cable without power and a separate power connector. Most of them include a mounting kit so the drive can be installed in a standard 3 1/2" drive bay in a desktop PC. To find more information and vendors that sell them, use
http://www.google.com
and search with: laptop desktop ide converter. There are also 3 1/2" drive to 5 1/4" drive bay mounting kits that can be used if there is not an unused 3 1/2" drive bay in the desktop PC.

Here is a cable converter from tiger direct:http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...rive%20Adapter

Old 06-29-04, 08:22 PM
WaltSnider
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Luckey312
I own a Dell Insiron 4150. Its been a great laptop. It runs fine and has for a long time, but I recently had gotten so fet up with all of the spyware and viruses that kept on creeping into my system folder that I decided to do a reinstallation of WIndows XP. I did so and came upon a STOP message: MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS, which I'm not even concerned about anymore. After turning off hte computer it informed me that a file had been damaged in the SYSTEM32 folder, which really got me angry. Now I am to the point where I just want to get some of my pictures from my digital camera off of my computer before it completely crashes. I have done dskchk's and the drive has not failed yet. YET! BUT! Some of the computer places around here have told me that they will backup the drive for around 100 dollars! Ug!

Anyway to get these files off using my PC? Maybe somehow use the laptop drive as a slave to my PC? There has to be a way

HELP!
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...145-329&DEPA=0

Check this out, very snappy and cheap! Should hook up to your PC very easily and gets its power from the USB cable. The most complex part will be opening the laptop and putting the hard drive into the enclosure.

Old 07-07-04, 08:57 AM
bklynjames
Visiting Guest
Linux to the rescue

There are many diskless versions of linux that can boot off of cd and recover your pictures. Goto: www.distrowatch.com and run a search for diskless linux distros...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: