fairly paranoid about adware

Old 06-28-04, 12:19 PM
moesha
Visiting Guest
fairly paranoid about adware

I've posted to this forum before and really appreciate all the helpful advice. You guys are great.

Here's the deal ... I'm stuck with adware - tried spybot - spyware xterminator and adaware - they clear stuff out, but it always comes back. I've even run these in safe mode - same story.

Here is my concern - I'm willing to live with the pop-ups, but I'm worried about my privacy. Should I not shop via my computer anymore? I'm thinking of applying for a loan online ... should I avoid this as well?

Does persistant adware mean my personal information is at risk? Or, does it just mean that I have to put up with the annoyance?

All thoughts and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Moesha

Old 06-28-04, 12:40 PM
D
Received 12 Upvotes on 10 Posts
I have yet to come across any spyware/malware that I couldn't remove with a bit of effort. Perhaps you could list the ones your having problems with and we'll go from there.

Old 06-28-04, 01:36 PM
las
Visiting Guest
google pop up blocker

You do not have to live with pop ups...do a search under google and
download It's pop up blocker I did It can't be beat..!One way of getting around all those tracking cookies Is to go to google and download firefox
and I'll bet ad-aware won't find any more tracking cookies and such?I always alternate between the I.E. and firefox

Old 06-28-04, 03:14 PM
moesha
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the posts so far. Here is a list of the ones that pop-up on a regular basis.

winfavorites
dealhelper
coolwebsearch
clientman
broadcastpc
180solutions
vx2
winfavorites
win32.revop.trojan
statblaster
clientman

Again, my real concern is for my privacy. I really want to be able to purchase things online and run my credit report. I need to know if I can ever do this on my system, or if I need to be wary because of this problem.

Thanks

Old 06-28-04, 05:24 PM
las
Visiting Guest
Clear you history

Everytime you finished using your credit card clear all history,delete off line content,delete your files and delete your cookies...I do not know how
much more a person can do then that.I've heard where you can go to your bank and take a crash course In It In there basement If you got a Internet
account with a certain bank?

Old 06-28-04, 06:44 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Some of the spyware might be flushed if you turn off system restore then turn it back on. If the bug is in the restore files, this will get rid of it. Some of the persistent spyware can be cleaned by ad-aware. If Ad-aware tells you that it needs to run at start up to clean certain files, select OK and restart the computer.

Some spyware is removed by anti-virus programs as well.

Many times, spyware is picked up again by visiting the very sites where it originated. Some of it is self-inflicted by downloading some fancy cursor or file sharing programs or free game. These have spyware that regenerates itself at runtime. Removing the offending program usually enables cleaning this nuisance.

A big part of security is keeping your computer up to date. All the critical updates to the operating system should be installed. A anti-virus program with current virus signatures needs to be operating all the time. Sensitive data should be passed on secure web sites only. These can be identified by the closed lock in the lower right hand corner of some browsers. The address bar will also show the address of the site as https: rather than the usual http:

With current problems with Microsoft Internet Explorer, the security setting for this program should be set to its highest value to protect from exploits that may run on rogue web pages. Using a different browser would provide better protection, because the exploit affects only Internet Explorer.

I have never had a problem with financial transactions with the bank, credit card companies, loan applications, or other matters online.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-28-04, 09:07 PM
tae
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
you need to go here:http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
and download cwshredder and hijack this. you have a couple nasty PIA's there.
read the instructions carefully, then follow them.
I also recommend using registry protector 2 from here:
http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=regprot

Old 06-29-04, 06:24 PM
WaltSnider
Visiting Guest
mo,

What version of Windows are you using? I don't know if it was mentioned above, but something has to be run (most likely at system startup) that keeps generating the spyware files on your system. Try going to

Start --> Run
type msconfig
hit OK

Look for a tab called Startup. Click it.
These are all the programs your computer runs at startup.
You can turn certain services off and clean your comp up with adaware, et all and reboot to see if it helped. If not, restore it and go to the next one. If you'd like to list all the items displayed there, I can give you a hand with what you'd want to keep and what to uncheck, but for the most part, keep anything associated with your antivirus, printer, DSL/Cable and other essential stuff. Additionally, turning off services that you don't use will make your computer speed up and you can always come back to turn them back on (and reboot) to have them again.

Old 07-07-04, 09:22 AM
bklynjames
Visiting Guest
The Deal

First, you have to remember when using your credit cards online, check your balances every week. Call them up that is what they are there for. Most hackers wont break into your computer for one credit card they will break into the place you buy from and steal all the credit cards from their database.

Secondly, adaware and spybot are pretty good. I like them the best, but dont forget to update them reguraly. Also a good popup blocker also works well... Goto zd.net to read the reviews on which ones are better.

Thirdly, Firewalls help also. I happen to like Black Ice Firewall and application blocker. Not only does it block unwanted things(i.e. Port scans, hackers, script kiddies, etc) it'll alert you if someone is trying to install unwanted software on your system(i.e. rootkits(Backdoor), adware, etc).

Always remember nothing is fool proof. A safe computer is one that is turned off and put in your closet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: