uninstalling printer software

Old 07-07-04, 09:16 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question uninstalling printer software

Hi,

My brother purchased a a PC with XP Home edition earlier this year. He used this Aloha Bob program to transfer his files from the old PC to the new PC. This included transferring his printer software. Anyway, the printer (HP K Series) is having problems. It will say busy on the display, not all the programs with it on the PC work. They state they need to be uninstalled and reinstalled.

Well, when I go into Add/Remove Programs I don't see it in the listing. I try to just do a install and it detects the software and stops. There isn't a uninstall under the HP folder from the start menu. There is a uninstall folder on the installation disk. But, I can't seem to get that to work.

How can I get this thing properly uninstalled?

Thanks,
Shawn

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-04, 09:30 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Transferring programs can create problems since the wide array of files don't always get transferred. It is better to install programs and transfer data files unless you Ghost the entire drive.

Having said that, tracking down the files for the executable and its *.dll files should get you over the hump after you remove them. I would look in c:\program files\printer_files for the printer _files being the ones in question and send them to the recycle bin. Try to install the appropriate version of the program and see if it will run. If all works, empty the recycle bin.

Try the HP website for help in locating the files. HP programs frequently must be completely uninstalled in order to correct problems with the drivers anyway. Sometimes this involves tracking down *.dll files and registry keys. Transferring the program may not have moved the registry keys. The HP website is usually pretty good about listing the files to be removed and their locations.

Hope this helps.