going to sleep

Old 07-09-04, 05:21 PM
deacunblu
Visiting Guest
going to sleep/not hibernation

i hope someone out there might be able to help with this most perplexing and quite persistant problem. my computer goes to sleep without any prompt from me. by going to sleep, i mean it says "going to sleep" and shuts down. the problem has even persisted after formatting the hard drive. it does it consistantly when anti-virus software is run and spybot and never lets them finish. it also goes to sleep at other times as well. has anyone ever heard of this problem? thanks in advance for any help you could give.my comp is an hp pavilion desktop,6 mos old,running xp sorry,my bad.i should have mentioned that i have disabled hibernation and set to never,it hasent affected the sleeping.screen goes black w/message box that reads "going to sleep".message box is not windows/hp style either.

Last edited by deacunblu; 07-09-04 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-09-04, 07:40 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool

your computer is going into the hibernation mode. you will need to change your power settings to keep it from doing this. i prefer you to change them to where it goes into standby and that will save you some time and struggle. hope this helps and let me know how it goes.

Old 07-09-04, 08:31 PM
deacunblu
Visiting Guest
its not hibernation

sorry,my bad.i should have mentioned that i have disabled hibernation and set to never,it hasent affected the sleeping.screen goes black w/message box that reads "going to sleep".message box is not windows/hp style either.

Old 07-10-04, 05:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is this an HP Media Center PC? The only thing I've found from Google is that it might have something to do with either McAfee or a V-series HP multifuntion. Are either of those installed? One other thing, if you have installed or uninstalled or made ANY changes recently that preceeded this problem, undo those changes and see what happens.

Also, if it's fairly new, you might want to just call HP.

HTH,

Chris

Old 07-10-04, 12:48 PM
deacunblu
Visiting Guest
hp was no help

nope sorry,i`ve tried hp,they suggested a sys. recov. i`ve even formated the drive,lost some other good things i had in the process still to no avail.it`s just an ordinary hp desktop model a335w w/ 256 ram,80g hd,and a pentium 4 cpu.no macafee installed either.

Old 07-10-04, 01:37 PM
Cool

hey did you try that antivirus and spyware thig like i told you. i scanned mine today and i had ten thigns and that is just from surfing the web. i even had trackers so you may want to try that out. good luck.

Old 07-10-04, 02:09 PM
tae
ok,back to the beginning...... you called hp support. Did they say it was supposed to say "going to sleep"? Is that an hp thing? did they have you look or do anything else? did they have you check in the BIOS settings? or the power settings for monitor ? you looked in the power options and set everything to never, and hibernate was unchecked and the power schemes were set right?
If you reformatted and installed xp again,then it's either in xp or the computer hardware,like the BIOS. if you added on other programs, it might be from one of them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: