Help - Trying to recover/restore files but not working...

Old 07-22-04, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help - Trying to recover/restore files but not working...

Hi all, could use some help with a situation. I think I'm not doing something correct. Here's what's up: I had to shut down our computer, (IBM Aptiva with Windows 98), to get it out of being locked up, which seems to happen a lot. Control+alt+delete, nor escape, nor anything would get the computer out of being frozen, so I had to shut it off as we have often over the years only this time it came back up with a problem. The mouse was not functioning, not even on the screen, and after several attempts to restart it was gone. Kept getting an information window that said there was a windows configuration problem with a .vxd extension. Through using the keyboard arrows I eventually determined that this was the mouse driver and to restore it, the computer told me to put in the original windows start up disc. Our computer came with Win98 pre installed and all that we have is the IBM restore disc to restore windows on the computer. The computer kept saying that it couldn't find the mouse driver on the hard drive nor in theis restore disc, so I thought I would try the restore certain files feature....here's wher the problem comes in. I did not go to the restore all files feature which clearly points out that this will reformat the hard drive and we'll lose all files saved after the original install. I went into the restore certain files feature, which states that it should restore files in the event that something like this happens, and according to our reading should do so without erasing anything. When asked what file/files to restore, I typed in the very mouse driver file and extension that the computer was saying to be a problem. When the computer was restarted, it came back as if everything was erased fromt he hard drive. There appears to be a desktop of some sort but with no icons, except the norton antivirus tab that usually appears at the bottom of the screen. If I bring up task manager, it show the norton antivirus as the only program there....everything else is gone. Still no mouse. After trying this several times to see if I was doing something wrong, I finally have the mouse again, but I don't think the black field I have with the norton antivirus tab is the functioning desktop, because I can't right click to get properties to come up. Now before I resort to reformatting, I can't believe that the files are all gone, because the mouse properties that we selected other than standard are still there. (I had a little cartoon head selected in place of the hour glass, and it is still there). The other thing is that when I reboot or restart the music that I had selected with windows coming up is still there also. So I'm puzzled about what to do to get stuff back if at all possible. Wondering if anyone can shed any helpful information.

I seem to think that I might not be using the restore feature correctly to begin with. When I type in the file that I want to restore, it asks me if I want to see the list of files, which there are several of. Then beyond that it askes me if I want to restore the files. If I say yes, I get an information window saying that files are being restored. But when that completes there is no window giving instruction or confirmation that files have indeed been restored. Someone advised me to try this: escape from program, which seems to be the only way out, (if I control+alt+delete ot shut down the computer locks up), and when escaping it should go to DOS, which I get a C:> like I'm in DOS, but none of the typical DOS commands seem to do anything. I was advised to type exit, and I should get out of DOS and back into windows, but it won't leave the DOS screen. Now if I take the IBM restore files CD out and turn on the computer to boot up, I get the black screen with thenorton antivirus tab, with the mouse now functioning, but obviously that's all thats there. The only thing I can do is bring up task manager, (and the only program there is the norton antivirus), no startup menu comes up with the startup menu button, and I get an error sound when trying to right click the mouse.

Sorry for the lengthily email, but wanted you all to know all the facts. Appreciate any advice at all.

Thanks,

Visser

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-04, 06:32 PM
hacker
Visiting Guest
Can you boot into Safe Mode?

I didn't see if you mentioned that in your post.

Press f8 while booting and when the pick screen comes choose that.

I would then go to the device manager in the system folder and see if there are any yellow flags there.

Try doing your fix there.

Old 07-25-04, 12:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Hacker- Got it figured out!

Hacker,

That actually wasn't working either, but I appreciate the suggestion. Just got the problem resolved after some more tinkering and all files are there...(relief!). I hadn't actually lost them and was correct in assuming that they were still "there" somewhere. I ended up having to actually reinstall windows fromt he original installation disc as if I just purchased the computer, and that restored something that was preventing windows explorer from loading.

Thanks again for th ehlp,

Visser