Defrag hard drive function not working properly...any ideas??

Old 07-25-04, 12:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Defrag hard drive function not working properly...any ideas??

I just got through a computer crash and got everything back up and running.
trying to do some system maintenance but can't defrag the hard drive. I was actually having the same trouble with the defrag function prior to the computer crashing. I suspect it's becasue it hadn't been done routinely for years before I got a hold of it. IBM Aptiva 540 series with windows 98. When I tell it to defrag the C hard drive the progression window titled, "Defragging Drive C", has a line that reads, "0% complete". (OR whatever percentage amount complete). IT only runs for a few minutes before that same line changes to, "Change in hard drive starting defrag over". IT only gets up to about 7% complete at the most and when it reads that it's starting over, the percentage complete drops back to zero and the progressions starts from there. It is random as to the percentage of completion and the amount of time that passes before it starts over.

Anyone ever have this happen or have any ideas??

Appreciate any suggestions, I'd really like to defrag the harddrive since it hasn't been done in so long. I realize that this alone may be the problem and I just need to let it run, but it doesn't seem to be doing much after several hours and I keep getting the start over message.

Visser

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-04, 01:50 AM
tae
Windows 98 is known for it's defrag problems. In fact, microsoft even has a whole section of fixes just for it. look here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q286263

And from there, here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;186978

Old 07-25-04, 08:41 AM
las
Visiting Guest
98/se

I know when I had windows 98/SE the only defrag I could accomplish
was In safe mode...even thou now I have windows xp and can defrag outside of safe mode,I still go Into safe mode to defrag thou once In awhile

Old 07-25-04, 01:07 PM
B
Defrag.

Visser, What you describe is correct. I just defrags last night and it took about two hours. Let it run. It will do exactly what is happening. It can take along time on big disks. Don't add patches where no is needed. JMO.

Old 07-25-04, 01:34 PM
tae
Don't add patches where no is needed. JMO.
Exactly. What Microsoft advises is to either "clean boot" or boot to safemode. and run defrag from there. the problem is some program is running, and as the drive is being changed(defragged) it moves a part of the program, and then must start again. By clean booting or booting to safe mode first, you avoid loading alot of programs that could cause this. You would especially want to make sure that screensavers and antivirus are disabled during the process.

Old 07-26-04, 09:45 AM
Thanks all! I got it defragged in safe mode. To the point of many of you, I finally read that this was a common problem with Windows 98, in that the defrag program would stall if there were any number of a few certain programs open. The recommendation I read stated that trying to defrag in safe mode should work fine. After reading what you all had to say about it here, I tried it and worked great!

Thanks again,

Visser