Replaced the hard drive, need o. s.

Old 07-25-04, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replaced the hard drive, need o. s.

I have compaq 5000 series (5002us) M E. with 800 mhz AMD Duron processer.
I was getting the 1720 eminent hard drive failuer error.
At first I added a Western Digital hardrive as a slave (I thought) believing to follow assorted helpers instructions and pamphlets.
After some time and assorted configurations (mater slave, master single, dual, etc. I put the original hardrive back to its first settings and removed the new one.
I had given up and hoped to get it to the safe mode and email my documents photos and other files to my other computer, BUT THE M. E. WANTS ME TO INSTALL AN OPERATING SYSTEM. It dont reconized the recovery C D. and the C D that came with the new hard drive has a error.
Any way the computer now THINKS that the new hard drive is still installed and wants an o s to start up. I CANT FIND ONE ON THE SITES TO MAKE NEW DISKETTES Please help, lots of files on old machine i would like removed and saved. Thank guys

Old 07-25-04, 09:48 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Your new hard drive should have come with an installation CD, unless you bought the OEM version. This CD should autorun when placed in the CD drive and the computer rebooted. The computer must be set to boot from the CD drive, in the bios settings. Press Delete when the computer is in the initial stages of booting to gain access to the BIOS to set the boot order.

Follow the installation instructions in the manual that came with the drive and install it with the jumpers set to master. Leave the other drive out for the time being. Run the set up CD to prepare the drive for an operating system. After it is prepared, run the installer off the OS installation CD and your drive will be set to run.

If this computer came with Recovery CD(s), run the recovery CD after the drive is prepared by the installation CD. This should install the same arrangement of OS and programs as existed on the computer when it was new.

After the drive is installed and the recovery has run, the computer should be operating normally. Set the jumpers on the old drive to slave and install it in the computer. Upon booting, the computer should have booted from the new drive. The old drive should appear in my computer as an additional drive, probably D:. Pull whatever files you want off the old drive. Then you can wipe the old drive and dispose of it.

Having covered all this, what error do you receive from the installation CD for the drive? If the CD is defective, call the manufacturer and have another one sent.

The recovery CD should be recognized when the computer boots it from the CD drive. These generally run a bootstrapping program to run the program that prepares the new drive for use. They don't require than an operating system be installed on the new drive, for obvious reasons.

THE M. E. WANTS ME TO INSTALL AN OPERATING SYSTEM
What is the M. E. to which you refer?

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: