Silly desktop icon question...

Old 07-25-04, 01:50 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Silly desktop icon question...

I am customizing my desktop icons...Star Trek TNG...(I know, total geek)...Have used icons that came with a couple of desktop themes, that have worked fine...I moved them from the original theme folders to folders that I created under My Documents...But I must have erred along the way, because now when I try to view the icons in the folder I created, they have no file type associations...I must double click each one to view the image...I know there must be an easy fix for this, but it escapes me...

Tried downloading new icons, to the same folder, but they are dis-associated as well...

Using Iconoid (in start-up) to play around w/my desktop...On windows 98se on a Gateway 700 series PC...

Thanks to all who reply,
Matt

Old 07-25-04, 08:22 PM
C
Do you mean that you want to single click on the icon to open the application it represents, such as: Warf single click to open your workout program? Or do you want to single click the icon to have it open in a viewer to see the icon a larger size?

Generally, you can right click on an icon and change the icon associated with the shortcut to be anything available. The program that it launches is in the target line of the shortcut window.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-26-04, 05:47 AM
S
Hey chfite,
I just want to be able to open the folder and view the icons as they would appear on my desktop...As they are now, the only graphic w/each icon is the Windows symbol...Meaning I have to click each one to see what it is...There are hundreds of icons I've downloaded, so this can get tedious...

Hope this makes sense,
Matt

Old 07-27-04, 08:45 PM
C
Is Icon view enabled in the view folder options?

When you right click on one and view properties, does the link to the proper file exist?

Old 07-28-04, 05:13 AM
Churchguy
Visiting Guest
This is a slightly seperate topic but still in line with the general theme. If you want to get a customized Star Trek Theme, check www.themeworld.com
They have a fair number of popular desktop themes to download and allow viewers to rate the themes as well. I believe they've also branched off into sounds and individual desktop icons. The last time I was there, they were still free, but that was 5-6 months ago. IMO they are a great resource, as well as fun to browse.

Old 07-28-04, 05:19 AM
S
Hello chfite,
I have fixed the problem...Used "Go Back" to a day before this happened...Are you familiar with "MicroAngelo"...it's a program that manipulate desktops, icons, etc...I have been experimenting w/a trial version of it...Not sure, but I think when I uninstalled it (it seemed to be having conflicts with "Iconoid") it was the culprit in changing my icon file associations...

Now, since I've "gone back", MicroAngelo is back on my system (day 7 of a 21 day trial)...I don't open it 'cause everytime you do, it puts itself into "run at startup"...But I'm wary about uninstalling it if that's what causes the icon problem...

Thanks for your help,
Matt

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: