Problem disabling Windows logon prompt

Old 07-25-04, 06:11 PM
dsylvester
Visiting Guest
Problem disabling Windows logon prompt

I recently got a used computer from my employer. The computer used to be on our work network, and all employees had to logon w/ their username and password.

I just tried to use this computer, but as soon as I powered it on and Windows started, I got a "log on to Windows prompt" asking for my username and password (just like it used to do at the office). I cannot use any programs until I figure out how to get around this prompt (I even tried my login from work and that didn't work). The only buttons at the login prompt are "Ok", "Cancel", and restart / shutdown.

Does anyone know if there is a way to disable this prompt, so I can use the computer? I don't want to rebuild this computer at all, so I'm hoping I can find a way to disable this without serious computer disassembly.

The comptur is a Compaq Deskpro, Pentium 3 550mhz 128 mem, with Windows 2000 pro.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

DS

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-04, 07:05 PM
tae
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
the two easiest ways would be to ask your network admin at work how they do it. They should have an administrators password to get on. If that doesn't work, or they wont tell you,then you could always reformat and install the operating system again.

Old 07-26-04, 07:31 AM
You will need to either get the logon info from work or wipe and reload Win2k. There is a utility available to clear all account passwords but I don't think provideing a link would be a good idea.

Old 07-26-04, 07:44 AM
Make sure that when you are trying to logon you are trying to do so locally and not to the domain. Then you will need a local username and password. There is at least one, for the administrator. If they won't tell you the password then you are out of luck. Perhaps you could take it back in to work, and they could set up a local user you can use.

However, all of that being done, I would immediately reformat the hard drive anyway and start over. Your employer should have done that before the machine left the building, for security purposes, but apparently security is not a concern to them, or they manually removed any company sensitive materials (which is a much more time intensive operation than reformatting and starting over).

For a variety of reasons, not the least of which is laiability, you want to start over from scratch rather than leaving this machine fas you got it.

Old 07-27-04, 04:52 AM
dsylvester
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice. I am hoping to get a password from the administrator at the office.

If I cannot get this, what is the best way to re-install Windows? Do I just pop in the Disk and let it run?? Also, how do I reformat the hard drive?

Any advice here is appreciated.

DS

Old 07-27-04, 05:10 AM
disability guy
Visiting Guest
reformat

I have the exact situation, used computers from an Army base which prompt for a log in via "control/alt/delelte." Hopefully I can get hold of the individual my boss got them from and use admin password. Otherwise, back to the drawing board.
Reformat is not that hard once you're in; I went through DOS mode on previous systems and formatted the hard drive. Reinstallation requires a Win 98 or XP CD and the user number from the certificate of authenticity.
Learned reformat the "hard way", via AOL chewing up Win 95 a few years ago.
Rots of Ruck.

Old 07-27-04, 07:04 AM
If it were Windows 98 (or My Enemy) there would be no issue. These operating systems have no security and having a username and password is optional.

As he originally pointed out, he has Windows 2000. Windows NT, 2000 and XP all require that a username and password be used.

To reformat and reinstall Windows 2000, you must boot from either the installation CD or from a bootable floppy. Make sure that you can boot from one of these devices before going any further. You must also have the certificate of authenticity, which will have the key on it.

Boot the machine and then (if necessary) start the install program. Make sure that you specify to reformat the hard drive before the installation. Also, make sure that you have installation CDs (or disks) and whatever keys or IDS are needed for all the programs you intend to install once the OS is installed and running.

Old 07-29-04, 05:04 AM
disability guy
Visiting Guest
FDisk

I spoke with the person who helped get computers. He spoke to the IT guys and called me back. They said I need an FDisk to partition the HD. Research on tht says I'll be changing the BIOS setting to overcome the log on prompt. I'll let you know what happens.