memory

Old 07-31-04, 03:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
memory

Windows 98 SE: IE6: HP 6640C: Memory: my unit had 64mb of memory with 8mb shared. i installed another 64mb memory module to give a total of 128mb with 8mb shared. net, 120mb. my unit accepted the additional memory after installation. before the installation,: <rt click my computer, properties, preformance, it read <memory: 56mb of ram, system resorces 86% free>< after installation it showes 120mb ram, system resorces 86% free>My problem, if i installed more memory, why does it still show system resources 86% free. if my running programs use: (x amount of ram memory, and i increase the amount of memory, should the % of system resources increase rather than remain the same. thank you in advance for any advice

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-04, 05:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Contrary to what many think, system resources is not related to the amount of installed RAM and will not change when you add more RAM. The amount of free resources is directly related to how many applications are running on the PC, in order to increase free resources at startup, you must reduce the number of apps that start with Windows, with Windows 98 you can use the MSconfig utility to do this.
Windows maintains an area of memory for operating system resources. The maximum size of this area is 128K, in two 64K areas. Windows 95/98 uses this area of memory to store fonts, bitmaps, drop-down menu lists and other on-screen information used by each application.