current steps?

Old 08-03-04, 07:16 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
current steps?

Hello
I have xp home and have downloaded most of the updates that microsoft 's scan indicates I need, including the latest 7/31/04.
Is it prudent to order and install sp2, and will it recognize I have the July 31st update, or should I again install it?
Thank you
Pete

Old 08-03-04, 08:02 AM
D
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
No way to tell at this point how current the included Windows updates will be. But any that are newer than what is included should remain intact, just run Windows update after the SP2 install to make sure. I've been running SP2 since the RC1 release and have had no problems with it, in fact it fixed a couple problems I was having. It's a little over zealous with it's default security settings I think, but that's easily fixed.

Old 08-03-04, 04:32 PM
P
router

First of all, thank you for the update information.
I'm going to get Comcast hi speed;I've been told it's a good idea to get a router. Just what is the benefit of a router and does it go between the cable modem and the pc?
Thnx again,
Pete

Old 08-03-04, 04:51 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The router goes between the computer and the cable modem. Its primary benefit for a single computer is that the Network Address Translation that goes on in a router provides something of a hardware firewall. NAT keeps an outsider from looking into the network, so to speak. Moreover, it is straightforward to close ports in the router to protect machines on the network.

Old 08-03-04, 07:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yeah, you don't NEED a router if you only have one machine, but it does provide a certain level of security from the terrors of the web. It's not going to be bulletproof by any means, but for the short money, it's not a bad idea. You COULD get away without one (and connect directly to the modem), but if you do that make SURE you have some kind of software firewall, antivirus, and spyware removal program. It's good to have those even if you have the router, though, too.

Chris

Old 08-04-04, 07:32 AM
P
router

Thanx for all the help;I do have an a/v program, a firewall, and spyware-I now will mull over the benefit of the router. It sounds like a good Idea.
Pete

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: