SP2 problems

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-04, 07:44 PM
SP2 problems - No more "new window"

I am using Windows XP and I recently downloaded the new Service Pack 2 from Microsoft.

I can no longer access certain websites...or at least the "new window" at the website.

For example....I can go to Rik Emmett's website just fine, but when I try to go to the message board (which usually opens a new window)....nothing will pop up, so I can't access the message board.

Another....I can go to the Astroworld website just fine, but when I try to order tickets (which usually opens a new window) .....nothing will pop up, so I can't buy tickets.

There is another website that I frequent that is doing the same thing.
I click on a link......nothing.....no new window.

I've tried EVERYTHING I can think of.
I've tried disabling my pop-up blocker.
I've tried lowering my security.
I've tried disabling the new firewall.
I've tried changing the Java script from high safety, to low safety, to none.

NOTHING seems to be helping.

Any other ideas?
I'm sure it's pretty simple...I just haven't tried the right thing yet.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-04, 08:23 PM
There is a new feature added to Internet Explorer that overall is great, it does not lock down IE, but controls downloads very well. Pop-ups are anoying when containing ads, and frequently if clicked on will lead to an undesireable site, frequently prompting for a ActiveX control to be downloaded that will install spyware/adware/malware.
look through Tools>Internet Options , there will be an option somewhere about handling of opening child windows.Some pages can be opened by right clicking, and selecting Open In New Window, others use Java, and that will not work.
Mozilla is a great alternative, although there are a few pages/sites that still really only work as intended with a MS solution.

I have had hit/miss luck with the "Release Candidate" SP2, and am currently not using it on my computers until an official release comes out, redily downloadable. One system was killed with it, but with a clean install worked 99.5% perfect, another took it decent but has developed some other problems since then that are suspicious.
I certainly await the final release, but in the opinion that a premature release is the worst possible scenario.

gj

Old 08-24-04, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by green jacket
Some pages can be opened by right clicking, and selecting Open In New Window, others use Java, and that will not work.

gj
I have tried to "right click and open in new window"...When I do, I get this error message in the address bar:

javascript: openForums()

So I assume that means it uses java?
All of my Java has been enabled under the "tools - internet options - advanced" tab.

Old 08-24-04, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by green jacket
look through Tools>Internet Options , there will be an option somewhere about handling of opening child windows
Can't find anything about "child windows"...or anything else that sounds like it.
I did see "enable script-initiated windows without size or position constraints"...but that's as close as I got.

Old 08-25-04, 04:46 AM
Lower your security level so that java can run.

Old 08-25-04, 06:13 AM
Well....I thought I did that.

I went through the "tools - internet options - security" and I changed my Java settings from "High Safety" to "Low Safety".
I also disabled my pop up blocker.

I went through the "tools - internet options - privacy" and I lowered my privacy to virtually nothing at "accept all cookies".

I went through the "tools - internet options - advanced" and I don't really see anything in there that would help if I changed it.

I've also tried totally disabling my firewall.

Is there any other way to edit your lower my security settings?

Last edited by Delirious Nomad; 08-25-04 at 06:24 AM.
Old 08-25-04, 07:48 AM
Churchguy
Visiting Guest
Too Late

While I realize that this comes a bad time, I was talking with the Sys AD here about Sp2. He told me that overall the mod is a good idea, once MS releases the Much needed patches. For instance, the version currently available causes conflicts with some network servers, disabling random ports.

Just be aware that SP2 is riddled with a few bugs (unlike most MS software-j/king) and you may want to review it's content before downloading.

Just a thought,
Me

Old 08-25-04, 02:12 PM
I liked my computer BEFORE the SP2.

Can I remove/uninstall it?
Or is it too late?

Old 08-25-04, 03:13 PM
Because you haven't figured out how to make SP2 work is not a good reason to not use it.

Old 08-25-04, 04:45 PM
Agreed, but if I can't figure out how to use it, and it interferes with my daily computer work, then what am I to do?

That is why I'm here.....to try to figure out how to fix it.
So far, no luck.

And the question remains.

If I can't "figure out how to use it", then:
Can I remove/uninstall it?
Or is it too late?

Old 08-25-04, 05:08 PM
If you paid attention during the install you would know the answer to your question.

Have you tried a different web browser? Have you tried the same thing on a non-XP SP2 computer?

Old 08-25-04, 05:51 PM
I paid attention during the install and I do not know the answer.
Thank you very much.
...and if you know the answer to my question.... then why wouldn't you just answer it instead of demeaning me?

I don't have a different web browser and it wouldn't matter if I did. I have Internet Explorer and that is what I would like to use.

I have tried it on my other computers and everything works fine.

I am going to my other computers to see if I can see if I notice any differences in settings.

Just thought I'd try here first. I have always gotten great answers and had my problems solved here.....guess there's a first time for everything.

Thanks anyway.

Old 08-25-04, 06:09 PM
You are sadly mistaken if you think I was demeaning you. I was doing nothing of the sort.

Obviously you can uninstall service pack 2. The best way to do so is to reformat your hard drive and start over with the original XP installation disk. there are also other ways.

However, that won't solve your problem. Eventually you will still NEED to install service pack 2, so you will be right back where you are now.

Unfortunately I do not know the solution to your problem. I don't use IE unless I absolutely have to, mainly because it is inferior to other browsers. but also because it has some quirky behavior.

However, I do know what is not the solution to your problem. Removing Service Pack 2 is NOT the solution to your problem.

I am also not convinced that service pack 2 is the cause of your problem. Over the last several months Microsoft has released updates to IE. I would blame any one of these updates for your problem, especially if you have not been downloading and installing the monthly updates from Microsoft. In otherwords, I think you would still be having problems even if you hadn't loaded service pack 2, just as soon as you updated IE.

Old 08-25-04, 06:16 PM
I appreciate the response.

I do believe that SP2 is the problem. I haven't had any problems with IE in over 4 years (since I switched from Netscape).

I did not have my particular problem immediately before I installed SP2.
I did have the problem immediately after I installed SP2.

I'm curious as to why I will need to eventually install SP2.
Will my browser just stop working if I don't?
I have a second computer (nothing on it that I can't lose) that I don't ever do any updates on.
I will not install SP2 on it.
Will it not work eventually?

Anyway....thanks again.
I'll just keep trying.

Last edited by Delirious Nomad; 08-25-04 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-25-04, 08:16 PM
tae
The problem is that there are now so many diferent settings that can/could be changed,plus any other program like a popup blocker or firewall or antivirus suite could be affecting it. Maybe even something that was installed, and looked like it had been uninstalled,but the xp2 found it and made it active,or changed something because of it. Probably something simple.

here's the link to sp2's troubleshooting section. maybe something there.
http://support.microsoft.com/default...h;ln;xpsp2swhw
one thing i havent tried yet is to uninstall IE and reinstall it after sp2 update. maybe that would work.

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]
Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}
Modify/Create the Value Data Type(s) and Value Name(s) as detailed below.
Data Type: DWORD // Value Name: IsInstalled
Setting for Value Data: [Change the Value from 1 to 0]
Exit Registry
Once you have made the appropriate registry changes use the link below to download and install Internet Explorer 6. The Internet Explorer 6 download includes Outlook Express 6. Reboot and test for proper operation.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...1/default.mspx

Old 08-26-04, 05:13 AM
The reason that I say you will eventually install SP2 is that you use this computer on a regular basis, and you use it to connect to the real world.

If someone uses their computer to print word documents, play games, etc., then they may never need to update it. It can remain as it came from the dealer.

But most people don't use their computers that way. They connect them to the Internet. They download new progams and install them. They send email. And on and on.

Microsoft (and indeed every software company that remains in business) makes updates and patches available to their programs. This is done for several reasons. Sometimes the updates patch security holes, or fix serious problems that can cause data deletion or crashes. Microsoft referes to these as "Critical Updates". Other times they make patches just to improve a program. They fix nuisance bugs. They add some new features. Microsoft refers to these as "Recommended Updates".

Since you connect your computer to the Internet you want security. You want all (or as many as possible) of the security problems fixed. You don't want the OS to crash just because...

I maintain that any person who connects their computer to the outside world needs to use all the updates Microsoft provides. I'm not saying they need to get them as soon as they become available, but they need to get them on a fairly regular basis. You're just risking too much if you don't.

I like TAEs suggestion. Try uninstalling IE and then reinstalling it. If that dioesn't work then go through IEs setup and preferences screen one at a time, and make sure you get them all. Turn off everything. IE has a pop-up blocker. Turn that off. Make the security as low as possible. Turn off the Windows firewall, turn off your own firewall.

Keep trying.

Old 08-26-04, 05:51 AM
"Turn off everything. IE has a pop-up blocker. Turn that off. Make the security as low as possible. Turn off the Windows firewall, turn off your own firewall."

I've done all that already.
I think I'll try to uninstall IE and see what happens.

Many thanks for all the help.

Old 08-26-04, 07:00 AM
Bink

Delirious Nomad, I don't know if you fet ZDnet or not, but I just got this in my e-mail. It addresses exectly the problem you are having. It say not to install SP2 because it will cause the problems that you are having. Go to this URL.

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-5321783.html

HTH

Old 08-26-04, 07:05 AM
Bink,

That link and the problem it addresses have nothing to do with the problem being discussed here.

Old 08-26-04, 07:58 AM
Churchguy
Visiting Guest
Personally,

I'd wait until MS finishes releasing the updates for SP2 (read patches to correct the patch). Some more were released today and more will be coming I'm sure. Then down load and reapply. I don't know if it will address the current problems your having, however.

I would also take Tae's advice and uninstall/reinstall IE. With luck, an updated version of SP2 will rewrite all the problems caused by the first wave.

Best of Luck,
Me

"If it works, why Break it?"

Old 08-26-04, 11:00 AM
Have you tried holding down the Ctrl key while clicking on a link? You can order the CD version of SP2 from MS here:
Free sp2 CD

Old 08-26-04, 11:08 AM
The whole issue that is being discussed in this thread is caused by SP2 but it is not a bug or malfunction. The new pop up blocker is very good at what it does. Javascript links cannot be right clicked on to open in a new window, this is not new, it has always been that way. To temporarily bypass the pop up blocker if you have it enabled, do as suggested above, hold the control key and click the link.

Old 08-26-04, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by Skipslot
Have you tried holding down the Ctrl key while clicking on a link? You can order the CD version of SP2 from MS here:
Free sp2 CD
Just tried it.
Didn't work.

Old 08-26-04, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by Delirious Nomad
Just tried it.
Didn't work.
Then you have something else going on, possibly some other pop up blocker or something.

Old 08-26-04, 03:25 PM
FIXED IT!....sort of.

I could SWEAR UP AND DOWN that I looked the SP2 up in my "add/remove programs" and didn't see it!!!!!

I went back to it and saw the SP2 program listed.
I just uninstalled it and everything is back to normal.

Sorry to waste your time.

Old 08-26-04, 03:53 PM
Definetly NOT the solution I would recommend, you need to keep SP2 and figure out how to deal with the new "features", uninstalling it isn't the way to fix the problem.

Old 08-26-04, 04:03 PM
I agree....but I can't get my daily work done with SP2 installed.

When we can find out how to fix the problem, I will be more than happy to install it again.....until then....I have to get my work done.

I will wait until the "bugs" that I've been hearing about get worked out.

Old 08-26-04, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by Davejb
Definetly NOT the solution I would recommend, you need to keep SP2 and figure out how to deal with the new "features", uninstalling it isn't the way to fix the problem.
Well....I can't get my daily work done and I can't figure out how to fix it.
I have had some good suggestions here, but nothing is working.

Should I just sit here and not get my work done?

I agree with it not being the ultimate solution....but I can't get my daily work done with SP2 installed.

When we can find out how to fix the problem, I will be more than happy to install it again.....until then....I have to get my work done.

Old 08-26-04, 07:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Absolutely. I completely agree with you. I haven't upgraded to SP2 yet, just because it is not in full release yet and there are so many problems with such large installs - especially from MS.

Think I'll wait til SP3

Old 08-27-04, 05:14 AM
Actually, service pack is in full release, and has been since before this discussion started.

As for bugs, this service pack seems to be less buggy than prior Microsoft releases. And it is extremely difficult to release an operating system, not knowing how third party programs are going to use it.

Old 08-27-04, 07:02 AM
Originally Posted by racraft
...And it is extremely difficult to release an operating system, not knowing how third party programs are going to use it.
MS knows (or at least should know) how other programs will react. SP2 has it's problems, and I for one haven't upgraded the few XP machines I have. Just not worth it yet.

Chris

Old 08-27-04, 07:30 AM
It is impossible to know how other people's programs will react. Many software programmers take shortcuts and write bad code. Sometimes this bad code works under on OS by sure luck. When the next OS, or an upgrade to an existing OS, comes along the software no longer works quite right.

Microsoft's operating systems and progams have their shere of bugs and problems, but most problems with third party programs are because the third party programs are poorly or incorrectly written.

Old 08-27-04, 08:45 AM
It is impossible to know how other people's programs will react. Many software programmers take shortcuts and write bad code. Sometimes this bad code works under on OS by sure luck. When the next OS, or an upgrade to an existing OS, comes along the software no longer works quite right.

Microsoft's operating systems and progams have their shere of bugs and problems, but most problems with third party programs are because the third party programs are poorly or incorrectly written.
What you're saying is that MS doesn't talk to or pay any attention to third party software. I am no MS advocate, but that simply is not the case. Software developers from thousands of companies ALL talk to each other, develop with each other, and work closely to ensure minimal non-functionality.

It absolutely IS possible to know what's what.

Chris

Old 08-27-04, 09:01 AM
Chris, You obviously are not a professional developer, so I will excuse your lack of understanding.

Yes, Microsoft does pay attention to other programs, However, it is not practical, and in fact impossible, for Microsoft to test every program that is commercially available on every one of their platforms. It just can't be done. Microsoft doesn't have employees enough or resources enough to accomplish this.

This is why Microsoft releases "beta versions" or "release candidates" of their software. They want other companies out there to test their release in their environment. They want to know about problems, conflicts and other issues before they make the release available to the masses. It's not 100 percent foolproof, but they do catch a good portion of the problems.

Even in my own job we cannot possibly test our software completely on every Microsoft platform (let alone every Linux platform and on the other systems that we support). We do thoroughly test our software, but not every part of the software gets thoroughly tested on every platform, release or service pack. It just can't happen.

Old 08-27-04, 10:03 AM
I've decided not to bother editing you...
Chris, You obviously are not a professional developer, so I will excuse your lack of understanding.
Bob, I truly appreciate your ability to talk to me as if I'm a fool, and then excuse me for it. Thank you.

I am a professional IT associate (network administrator (*nix), developer, technician). Developing programs is but one of many things I do. Now, with that said...

When did I use the words, all, every, total, or any other adjective such as those. Never. I am not about to say that all programs can be made to cooperate together from the get-go. I fully understand the complexity of all this. However, MS absolutely CAN anticipate and repair the majority of problems before they happen if they actually do things the way they should be done. I don't expect MS or any other company to make EVERYTHING work together. That wasn't my point.

If MS has troubles with, I don't know, miranda-IM (which is an obscure program), then I'm not going to throw a fit. It'll either get fixed eventually by MS or Miranda. However, if MS releases SP2 (or anything else), and it doesn't work with say, AOL IM, then I will have a bone to pick with them. That's unnacceptable. It's a major, widely used program. Of course, I'm just picking some random programs.

I write C, C++, perl, php, python, various shell, html, css, javascript, actionscript, and several other languages.

IF MS can't get the majority of programs to at least FUNCTION, then they have no business being where they are.

Especially considering the original topic of this thread (IE not functioning properly by opening windows), MS should be embarrassed about that. Think about this for a second. He downloaded a MICROSOFT patch, and afterwords another MICROSOFT program ceased to run right? C'mon, isssues like that should have been the first to be handled over a year ago.

Oh, and before I go, you mentioned that some programmers write bad code. I will assume you know that MS code is the worst of the worst.

Chris

Old 08-31-04, 05:45 AM
Churchguy
Visiting Guest
I agree with Chris and find it entirely inexcusable and undefendable that MS repeatedly releases programs with severe errors and conflicts even within their own software. I stopped downloading MS patches Years ago after an MS download Invalidated all of liscensing and registration for the MS products I had on my computer. While I realize that what happened to me is rare and isolated, the response i recieved from MS is the primary reason why I take an antagonistic stance when they are concerned. MS told me after I related my problem to them, "we are not responsible for your downloads from the internet, and therefore whatever you downloaded that voided your registration, is your own problem." Even though I sent them the File name and the address that the file came from, which was indeed from MS, they still refused to acknowledge any culpability for it. That was a few years ago, and nowdays MS doesn't support anything older than 3 years old, which is about how long it takes them to work the bugs out of their prodcts.

I use MS, but begrudgingly since it is everywhere I turn, at work, at school, and on every computer I have to buy.

So that I don't come completely off the issue, MS is, just as Chris said, far from the most desirable software or even OS.

too many thoughts,
Me

Old 08-31-04, 06:48 AM
I think everyone's had they're say now, and I don't want this to get out of control. This thread willl be closed, but not deleted so people can still read it. It was, after all a good debate and very informative.

Chris

Closed Thread