Disable Network settings

Old 08-27-04, 06:08 AM
Coady
Visiting Guest
Disable Network settings

Hi In advance I would like to thak you fo9r any help that will be given.

I have just purchased a Compaq Pentium 11 -350 that has been on a network and I would like to know how to disable the network settings and get the computer working as a stand alone. The computer has a separate network card, but as soon as I boot the machine up it is looking for the network connection.
thanks again Coady

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-04, 06:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What is it, Windows 98? NT?

If you right-click the "Network Neighborhood" (or something similar) icon on the desktop, it should display all the network connections in a window. You should see "Local Area Connection" or something of the sort. Right click that and click disable.

Should diable it so it won't look for a connection.

Chris

Old 08-27-04, 02:08 PM
Coady
Visiting Guest
Systems holds before the o/s loads

Hi Thanks for your reply, the system never gets to the operating system. Just on turning the computer on it is looking for a local network connection. I suppose the prompt is in dos.
Any help would be appreciated.
thanks shirl

Old 08-27-04, 06:57 PM
dos?! Hmmm... What exactly is it saying to you when it locks up? Usually, if a machine finds no network, it simply boots up without a connection. Dos was a looooooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago, though!

Chris

Old 08-27-04, 06:59 PM
It seems as if this computer is trying to get boot information from a server as if it were a thin client. Turn off the computer and remove the NIC. Restart it and see if that helps.

Old 08-27-04, 07:16 PM
I agree, remove the NIC and see if it will boot. It's probably an old IBM NIC that has a built-in BIOS and setup.

Sometimes you can press CTRL-S or something similar to get into the setup for the NIC. But, your best bet is probably just to remove it.

Good luck!

Old 08-28-04, 11:19 AM
Agreed. Instead of playing with it, just remove it altogether. It's probably looking via DHCP for an address. Just get rid of it (or see if you can disable it entirely in the BIOS).

Chris

Old 08-30-04, 05:50 AM
Coady
Visiting Guest
Compaq P11 350 Network Card removed & now

Hi
Thanks for your reponses and I have removed the network card. The system on a cold boot is stating ' invalid system disk' and there is nothing in the drive 'a'. ( there is no other drive such as a cd rom or dvd)
What do you think?
Also I put in a Win 98 start up disk in drive 'a' and I tried to access the drive 'c' and the message comes up that the 'c' drive is unaccessable.
thanks agin any help would be great

Old 08-30-04, 06:23 AM
The computer has no operating system installed on it, or the BIOS is not set to look at the hard drive to find an operating system to boot from.

Do you know anything about this computer? Do you know if it has a hard drive? If it has a hard drive, do you know if it has an operating system installed on it? Do you know how to get into setup to determine any of this. Have you opened the computer to see what is installed in it?

One way to configure computers is to have them boot from something other than a hard drive. Sometimes this is a bootable image on the NIC, other times this is a cetnral server that provides the OS. one common aplication for this is a point of use terminal. The computer might be used as a sales terminal, or a ticketing machine, or something similar. The machine would boot up anjd run one program. There was never the need for another program.

Years ago when hard drive space cost more, was not quite so easy to come by, and was measured in MBytes not GBytes, the idea was to make the machines as cheap as possible, just enough to get the job done.

This practice is not done much these days. This is because memory and hard drivespace is inexpensive, and it so much easier to buy systems off the shlef and run a simplt program on them.

Old 08-30-04, 07:07 AM
Does it have a HDD? If so, the HDD is just plain dead then. If not, it could be a "dumb" terminal.

Throw a known good HDD in there and try to boot.

"Invalid system disk" has nothing to do with a network, though.

Let us know about the HDD.

Chris

Old 08-30-04, 07:35 AM
Based on BIOS settings, a system will try to boot from one or more sources. One of those sources can be a network. If the system cannot find something to boot from then it will display the generic error message being displayed. The system will not check other devices if they are not selected to be checkd.

The system will only look for an OS on a hard drive if so indicated in the BIOS. There may well be an OS on the hard drive and nothing wrong with the hard drive. If the BIOS is not set to check the hard drive then it won' look there.

Old 08-30-04, 07:53 PM
For once, I agree with racraft
If the system is/was setup to boot from a network or floppy (unlikely, since it wasn't giving an invalid before), then it will only boot to HDD if told to do so by the BIOS.

When the computer boots (just before the beep), watch for a Setup prompt - something like "Hit DEL to enter setup" or something to that effect.

Once you're in setup, you want to go to the BOOT menu or similar (depending on BIOS) and set the computer to boot from Floppy first, then HDD, then CD (if available.)

Try restarting again. If you still get the invalid message, then you need an OS on that computer.

Good luck!

Old 08-31-04, 06:42 PM
Coady
Visiting Guest
Hi
Thanks again for the reponses... now to answer all the questions your wondering about.

the P11 350 has a 3 gig hard drive
a floppy drive and that is it.
128 megs of ram
I have no idea if the hard drive has an operating system
Bois is set to read first from the A drive; then C

This machine was used by a Auto manufacturer, on a network... the system was upgraded and this system given away.... and then unwanted and given to me.

Old 08-31-04, 07:14 PM
If, as you say, BIOS is set to boot from floppy then hard disk, and it is still unable to boot, it sounds like the original owner wiped the disk contents - probably for security reasons. That system is BARELY capable of running Windows XP, but you would probably be better loading Win 98 SE. You will need a boot floppy with fdisk + CD drivers (partitions have probably been removed) plus a copy of Win 98 SE. (I think you said you had a cd drive)

Best of luck.

Old 08-31-04, 09:59 PM
I agree. 98SE is the OS of choice (actually, linux would be) for this machine. 2000 would be slow as hell and XP probably won't even run on it. Let us know if you need help installing 98SE.

Chris