In dire need of some networking help

Old 09-16-04, 01:18 PM
jon_phenom
Visiting Guest
haha gonna sound dumb here...but the only thing i know as a "command prompt" is the c prompt in DOS....and i know you dont mean that...so what do i need to open up (wheres tis mysterious command prompt that i dont understand)

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-04, 02:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
On XP, click start --> programs --> accessories (I think) --> Command prompt

It's in the list somewhere.

That'll open the window.

Chris

Old 09-16-04, 04:06 PM
jon_phenom
Visiting Guest
ok....here is the problem....i just got off the phone with both netgear and verizon....(verizon's tech support is pathetic) the problem is that the WESTELL dsl modem im using from verzion (2200) has a built in router firewall deal....and when used alone...i can connect to my mail accounts...however when connected to my wireless router thats when the problem starts....so i was told by the netgear guy that i would have to change the modem configuration from "router" to "bridge" which i did...and then the DHCP would have to be disabled....next i would have to login to my router (by typing in the router's ip) and then something about pppoe....this is where it got confusing....if this is ringing any bells for anyone and they can help me finish off this problem please feel free to share

Old 09-16-04, 04:10 PM
jon_phenom
Visiting Guest
Oh dear lord....I fixed it ....time to dance....disregard my previous post guys....the lesson i learned from this is that netgear tech support trumps verizons....and a little computer common sense combined with a little adequate tech help works like a charm....thanks WorldBuilder and racraft for all of your help....and if i ever have problems with anything ill be sure to come back....now this ginormous thread can sink to the bottom....

Old 09-16-04, 04:53 PM
I have not dealt with netgear tech support, but I have dealt with Verizon's. Fortunately (for me), I had a better experience than you did. Perhaps it was the person I spoke with, or the nature of the issue, but I had no problems.

I'm glad you're runni9ng okay, and better lcuk with tech support next time.

Old 09-16-04, 05:14 PM
Glad you got it working. Yeah, having two firewalls is always a pain. I agree with you about Verizon, personally. They have been bad every time I have ever had to call them.

But I'm happy for you, mate.

Chris

Old 09-16-04, 05:20 PM
Let me hasten to add that Verizon tech support was years ahead of time warner RoadRunner support. With Time Warner I had to first convince them that there was a problem. At least with Verizon they believed me when I told them that there was a problem.

Old 09-16-04, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by racraft
Let me hasten to add that Verizon tech support was years ahead of time warner RoadRunner support. With Time Warner I had to first convince them that there was a problem. At least with Verizon they believed me when I told them that there was a problem.
LOL! I agree. RoadRunner was quite possibly the worst ever.

Chris