In dire need of some networking help

Old 09-08-04, 12:05 PM
jon_phenom
Visiting Guest
In dire need of some networking help

Hello All...heres the problem

My family is about to get a cable internet connection....we have two computers in my house in separate rooms of the house and we want to share the one connection between both computers....Both Pc's have windows xp installed. I was told I needed a wireless router and adapter....i noticed the adapter was a card with what looked like an antenna with an ethernet plug end that plugged into the slot....both computers have network/ethernet cards installed....would i just need to do buy a wireless router and purchase the antenna thing for the client computer or do i have to buy and install the card too....hope this makes sense....and id appreciate a step by step way of setting these computers up to share wirelessly (i invented a word) if possible...thanks from a frustrated guy.....

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-04, 12:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ok, if both computers have ethernet cards, you don't NEED wireless.

So, the first question is do you WANT wireless or wired? Wireless will require more equipment and money.

Personally, I prefer wired, but if it's not desirable to run wires, wireless is fine.

Make SURE you know which way you want to go, then we'll tell you exactly what to do step by step.

Chris

Old 09-08-04, 12:10 PM
BTW...

Welcome to DIY!

Chris

Old 09-08-04, 12:18 PM
jon_phenom
Visiting Guest
ok to make things simpler id like to go the wired route....however....wires running from my computer to the computer down the hall would require either wires strewn across the floor or some mission impossible style wiring tactics through walls ....so that sort of leaves me with the wireless option i think...

Old 09-08-04, 12:36 PM
Ok, wireless it is.

Go to the local computer store and by a wireless router (like a Linksys or something). Also, buy two wireless network cards. There are all kinds, but you'll probably get PCI adapters that, as you said, have an antenna on them.

Install a wireless NIC (Network Interface Card) into each computer. Should be pretty easy on XP. Then, place your wireless router next to the cable modem and PLUG IT INTO the modem.

The wireless router will get an IP address from the modem, and after proper configuration via the instructions you should get internal addresses from the router. You'll then be online.

Just read the instructions carefully, and do things IN ORDER.

Get stuck, ask here, and we'll help, friend.

Chris

Old 09-08-04, 12:40 PM
jon_phenom
Visiting Guest
thank you kindly for the help....but as id hoped to avoid it looks like ill be popping computer cases and installing hardware? correct? even tho both computers already have network/ethernet cards installed?

Old 09-08-04, 12:43 PM
jon_phenom
Visiting Guest
also could i save the trouble of buying two cards buy only buying one for the client computer and hardwiring the host directly to the cable modem...then plug the router into the cable modem to be used to transmit to the client not wired directly to the modem?

Old 09-08-04, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by jon_phenom
thank you kindly for the help....but as id hoped to avoid it looks like ill be popping computer cases and installing hardware? correct? even tho both computers already have network/ethernet cards installed?
Those won't help because they're not wireless...
also could i save the trouble of buying two cards buy only buying one for the client computer and hardwiring the host directly to the cable modem...then plug the router into the cable modem to be used to transmit to the client not wired directly to the modem?
Sure, here's what to do. I'm assuming that computer1 will be right next to the modem and router.

Buy this wireless netwoking kit

Plug computer1 directly into one of the router's ports (not the WAN port, that's to go to the modem) with a standard cat5 cable. The kit probably has this cable in it. Then, install the USB wireless adapter on computer2 and configure the router and USB card.

There'll be instructions.

Ask if there's anything else, mate!

Chris

Old 09-08-04, 01:52 PM
jon_phenom
Visiting Guest
sorry bout the delayed reply....ill order the kit....thank you ever so much for your help WB and ill be sure to come back with any questions i might have....(as im sure i will)....who would have thought that help forums actually existed on the internet with people that actually helped....

thanks again

Old 09-08-04, 01:56 PM
jon_phenom
Visiting Guest
and if im not mistaken...with that adapter from the kit....i wouldnt have to pop my case? correct? sorta like the antenna receiver and card all in one to just be plugged into a USB?

Old 09-08-04, 04:13 PM
Please post back when you get ready to set this up. There are some security measures that you should take with a wireless setup to prevent unauthorized access of your machines. Unless you take several key steps your PC and your network will be wide open to anyone driving down the road.

Old 09-08-04, 06:59 PM
Bob is right that even if you don't have questions, you should post back when ready or done. Let us go through security measures with you. For wireless, security setup is important.

Oh, and yes... With the USB device there will NOT be a need to open any computer.

Chris

Old 09-10-04, 01:41 PM
jon_phenom
Visiting Guest
ok guys....all of the stuff for my dsl connection came today....im going to go ahead and set everything up and ill be back for my little security tutorial

Old 09-10-04, 02:11 PM
jon_phenom
Visiting Guest
well it looks like im going to have to take a bath on this today as my dsl availability is setup for this wednesday....however...i was wondering...(and here comes a stupid question) will i need to install the router/adapter software on both computers and the dsl registration and startup software on both computers? and in which order should i begin installation (im guessing install the dsl setup and reg on one or both computers first....)

thanks

Old 09-10-04, 02:27 PM
THAT I can't help with because I don't use (nor have I ever used) actual dsl service. To MY knowledge, however, that software isn't necessary, though. Who's your provider? Perhaps someone else who has them can answer that.

Chris

Old 09-10-04, 02:31 PM
jon_phenom
Visiting Guest
Got the dsl through verizon.....common sense would dictate that id have to definitely setup the router and adapter software on both comps...and maybe both for the dsl software....however when i load the software on my client comp its gonna want to run me through all the "hook your dsl modem up to the comp like so" stuff and that wont be done seeing as the modem and such will already be hooked to the host comp....just trying to see how this is going to work....

Old 09-10-04, 06:37 PM
You don't need to install any DSL software on either computer. The router has all the software necessary to handle the DSL connection.

As for the router, I have no idea what software you are talking about. The router shouldn;t need any software. You should be able to connect to the router and configure it using any web browser.

What you might want to install is the MSN software. Your verizon DSL subscription comes with free MSN. You can install this from the CD. Do not let the CD autorun, but rather browse to the MSN directory and run the setup program. You would of course only install this if you want to and AFTER the connection is in place and working

MSN provides access to some content that you cannot get for free. Most of what you get access is probably also available elsewhere on the Internet for free, but you would have to look for it. I use MSN for access to the encyclopedia. I also use several of the email addresses. The nice thing about the email addresses is that they are disposable, but don't have miniscule limits on message or storage size.

Old 09-11-04, 05:18 PM
How's it coming, Jon?

Old 09-13-04, 04:49 AM
jon_phenom
Visiting Guest
yo WB.....its comin...im just tryin to patiently wait for wednesday so i can get started hooking everything up.....hopefully this wont turn out to be too complicated....at the very least itll give me some simple small network setup skills

Old 09-13-04, 05:46 AM
You should be able to get your computer talking to each other right now. You won't have Internet access without the DSL connection, but the computers should still be able to see each other, share files, share printers, and whatever other network functions you enable.

Old 09-14-04, 07:51 AM
jon_phenom
Visiting Guest
on a sidenote....what do you guys think of windows xp service pack 2? The other computer in my house has it installed but mine does not...i have read that zonealarm will not run properly with the SP installed (my version anyways) and Norton updates dont run automatically....however it does look like it has some benefits (built in pop up blocker in IE and somewhat of a firewall) anyone know how decent the firewall is with it? also thought maybe too since the SP has its own security setup that it would be easier to configure my small network for compatibility from a security standpoint.....

thanks

Old 09-14-04, 08:12 AM
My opinion of SP2 is that I have no opinion as of yet. I have not installed it on any client's machines and not on my one personal XP PC. I'll wait at least another month. Can't help you there.

Chris

Old 09-14-04, 08:56 AM
I have had no problem with service pack 2 on any machine that I have installed it on.

I have it at home.

I have it at work.

I have also instaleld it my church (a small network) with no pronlems.

Norton runs just fine. It automatically updates and continues to work with no problems.

The firewall has been in Windows XP from the beginning. All that the service pack does is to turn it on. Once you laod the service pack you can go in and turn it off if you don't want it to operate. I have no opinion as to how good of a firewall it is, except to say that it is better than no firewall.

Old 09-14-04, 10:14 AM
jon_phenom
Visiting Guest
thanks guys....ill probably go ahead and download it....

Old 09-16-04, 09:19 AM
jon_phenom
Visiting Guest
ok....ive got everything hooked up and working....only one noticeable problem that maybe you guys can help me out with.....

i got everything hooked up yesterday (WED) and things ran smoothly setup WEP 128 bit encryption and whatnot....had a good connection, spped was hovering around 24MBPS and signal strength was good-very good....but late last night and this morning as well my signal strength hops around a lot one second good then very low then low then very good....also webpages load a little slower and some (like yahoo mail) never load at all and i get the cannot find page screen....i checked the router and the modem and the DSL light and power light on the modem are solid green....but the ethernet light continually blinks as does the internet light and signal light on the router.....i tried swapping out ethernet cables but to no avail....

1st...is it normal for the lights to continually blink (constant signal receiving in intervals perhaps) (only i thought i remember it remaining solid yesterday)

and if its not normal and the source of the problem how could i go about fixing it....thanks again RA and WB for all of your help....

Old 09-16-04, 09:26 AM
jon_phenom
Visiting Guest
oh and for what its worth my comp is the client with the wireless adapter....

Old 09-16-04, 09:57 AM
jon_phenom
Visiting Guest
check that....i can't connect to any of my mail accounts...hotmail, yahoo, or webmail (my college email) could this be security related? (security too high?)

Old 09-16-04, 10:37 AM
jon_phenom
Visiting Guest
haha one more thing...i just installed a new file sharing program and in scanning my sytem for configuration settings it said that my computer is unable to receive incoming TCP connections from the internet and that the problem could be because of seetings in my OS, a software based firewall, the use of a proxy server, or a broadband router/firewall....could this also be my problem with the email dilemma? the config in the program mentioned something about retesting with port 6699...i tried it and it still didnt work....is there a port somewhere that i need to open? and if so how would i go about finding said port and opening it up.....thanks

Old 09-16-04, 10:55 AM
On your firewall router you need to have outgoing connections enabled. Thi either means all outgoing connections (less safe) or just ones for specific ports. Most routers usually have a list of the common ports (and their function) so you can easily see that you are enabling email access, telnet access.

Old 09-16-04, 11:19 AM
jon_phenom
Visiting Guest
ok...how do i enable these outgoing connections on my dsl router?

Old 09-16-04, 11:21 AM
haha one more thing...i just installed a new file sharing program ...
First things first... Is this program Kazaa? If so, REMOVE IT. I noticed about a year ago that the newer versions of Kazaa slowed my overall performance SUBSTANTIALLY. It just isn't worth it. Can Kazaa, and pay for iTunes.

Chris

Old 09-16-04, 11:29 AM
jon_phenom
Visiting Guest
haha...ive got kazaa lite resurrection....no adware and is actually the only thing thats running well (well that and my reg internet sites are running fine...just not the email ones....) i download winMX and upon installation it pointed out the problem....i just don't know how to find and open these specific ports used for email and outgoing stuff.....

Old 09-16-04, 11:32 AM
Do you download e-mail from Yahoo, etc from an e-mail client such as Outlook Express or Outlook OR do you actually go TO the websites and check your mail there?

Chris

Old 09-16-04, 11:43 AM
jon_phenom
Visiting Guest
i go to the yahoo website and the hotmail website and view it from there....its weird...i can log in both places and it takes me to my mail page....but when i click on check inbox the page never loads....or loads real slow and then the cannot find specified page pops up.....for example...in my yahoo account it says im signed in and everything and even says i have x number of new messages...but when i click on the inbox.....nothing.....

Old 09-16-04, 11:58 AM
You have a popup blocker which is not letting the popup pages load. Turn off your popup blocker.

Old 09-16-04, 12:10 PM
jon_phenom
Visiting Guest
yeah....that was one of the first things i tried....didnt work....this is really odd...because it worked last night....

Old 09-16-04, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by racraft
You have a popup blocker which is not letting the popup pages load. Turn off your popup blocker.
Nah, that's not it because the Inbox on Yahoo! doesn't open in a new window anyway.

Jon, this is weird. Basically, I think it boils down to your connection timing out because it's so slow. However, I don't think that's a problem with your wireless network.

Do you have a backup internet connection you could test with, like dial up? If so, try connecting through that and see if you get a similar problem.

Yahoo! works fine for me, so I don't think it's them.

Chris

Old 09-16-04, 12:29 PM
jon_phenom
Visiting Guest
yeah ive still got my dial up account...lemme hook it up and try it and ill get back to you....

Old 09-16-04, 12:48 PM
jon_phenom
Visiting Guest
ok...dial up worked fine....so its something in my wireless setup

Old 09-16-04, 01:05 PM
Ok... So some websites are fine and dandy, but others are slow? Or is your internet connection slow all around?

Ok, let's get back to basics. Open a command prompt window.

Type "ping www.yahoo.com" without the quotes.

The, when that's done type "tracert www.yahoo.com", again without quotes.

Copy and paste the results of those two things into a post here. I wanna have a look.

Chris