2 issues

Old 09-09-04, 07:24 AM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
2 issues

Hello
1-When you back up the registry;a-I know you save to desktop, in the export range you put 'all', but do you leave 'regitration' in the other box or do you scroll to all files? b-If you have to go back b/c of an error, should you just double click the desktop icon or should you also have a restoration point-if so which would you use first?

2-I know the program 'goback takes up a lot of space but I have 40 gigs-is it advisable to use it with win xp? It is about three years old and I did not know if it would work with xp.
Thank you
Pete

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-04, 10:12 AM
tae
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
from microsoft:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=322756

I would NOT use goback on your computer. In fact, i really wouldn't recommend it on any operating system, but especially not on xp.

Old 09-09-04, 11:00 AM
A
My wife had Goback installed on her XP based laptop for about a year. It does seem to work, and it actually saved her from disaster on at least one occasion. However, it is a resource hog, and it slowed her machine to a crawl. Also, the hard drive was constantly running.... and I mean CONSTANTLY running! I finally did a format/reinstall on her machine a few months ago, leaving out Goback, and now the thing runs like a champ again.

Not worth the headache, IMO, when you could just use something simple like XP's System Restore.

Old 09-09-04, 12:05 PM
P
back up

Hello
Thank you for the comments re: 'goback'.
About backup, I do not have the backup utility referred to in the M.S. article.
I'm somewhat of a novice and I wanted to know, before I make big changes, what to do.
I know how to create a restoration point and except for the box which gives the option of 'registration' or 'all' files I know how to back up the registry.
I guess I'm asking if one or both should be used and which selection should I make in the box, all files or registration ?
Thank you
Pete

Old 09-09-04, 01:30 PM
tae
To manually install Backup:

1. Double-click the Ntbackup.msi file in the following location on the Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM to start a wizard that installs Backup:

CD-ROM Drive:\VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP
2. When the wizard is complete, click Finish.

Old 09-09-04, 01:47 PM
P
backup

Thank you very much for the backup procedure.
Pete