Testing a new site. Comments?

Old 09-09-04, 09:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Testing a new site. Comments?

Hi guys,

I'm building a very simple website for a friend of mine who owns a financing company. It's mainly static and informational, nothing very dynamic or flashy.

It's nowhere near done, and truth be told, it's actually only one real page now.

What do you guys think of the design? Comments? Suggestions? Criticisms?

He likes it, but I always want as much input as possible.

It's at http://www.bartlett-family.net/test2/

Waddya think?

Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-04, 08:06 AM
Looks good

Personally, I like the layout as I do not really care for flashy websites anyway. The only thing I would add is a slogan, catch phrase, or picture in the the center of the blank area at the bottom right. The graphic should/could echo the mission statement of the company. Nice job.

Jeff

Old 09-10-04, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by Praxius
The only thing I would add is a slogan, catch phrase, or picture in the the center of the blank area at the bottom right. The graphic should/could echo the mission statement of the company.
That sort of thing is up to the owner, though. I just build what he wants (well, I make the design) and don't add something he doesn't want.

Chris

Old 09-10-04, 12:39 PM
R
I have always read and been told that web pages should have a white background for text. I don;t know what you plan to put in the middle of the page, but it it is text it should be on a white background. The white background makes them easier to read.

Old 09-10-04, 12:47 PM
Well, the reason people think that white backgrounds should be used is because text always defaults to a black color. Obviouly, you can't clash more than good ole B&W.

However, the general rule of thumb (especially with technologies like Flash and others) is that simple B&W is becoming obsolete.

No one wants to see that anymore. WIth broadband connections becoming commonplace, people can add all these things to sites and it doesn't detract from the online experience anymore.

Hell, simple static pages like this one are rare now. Flash, php, CGI, etc have made dynamic content so easy and available that almost no one even uses HTML anymore!

But I digress. As long as the foreground color contrasts the background well, (as with B&W) then there's usually not a problem. However, if your background is a bark blue and text is a light blue, you'd be absolutely right, Bob! That would suck, and I hate it when sites do that...

Chris

Old 09-10-04, 01:27 PM
J
Received 237 Votes on 208 Posts
looks good so far. here is my comments
The links on the left don't change color or underline when I hoover on them. I like that feature. They also don't go anywhere. I assume still under construction or maybe they aren't even supposed to be links.
Most of the colors look fine. I can read everythng just fine except the phone number. It is bit difficult but viewable.

Old 09-10-04, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by joed
The links on the left don't change color or underline when I hoover on them. I like that feature. They also don't go anywhere. I assume still under construction or maybe they aren't even supposed to be links.
I like that, too, and will do it. Just haven't yet. And yes, the site is still UC. See first post.
Originally Posted by joed
Most of the colors look fine. I can read everythng just fine except the phone number. It is bit difficult but viewable.
I've heard that, too. Gotta see what I can do about that.

Thanks,

Chris