Lost photos. Get 'em back?

Old 09-07-04, 09:05 PM
coolball1
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Help to get pictures back?

Just like the title says, I need some help (or some closure) to get my deleted pictures back. I have basic computer skills but one night while trying to delete some of the garbage of our hard drive I erased what I thought was a copy of My Pictures folder but it was the origonal. Thats right, my little girls first two years of pictures gone!

The pictures still show up in the photosuite program but cannot be found anywhere else. Is there any way to restore these files?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-04, 10:02 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Have you emptied the Recycle Bin since deleting? They may still be there.

Old 09-08-04, 04:22 AM
s/b in recycle bin

They should be in the recycle bin. If not, there are utilities out there that will allow one to recover deleted files.

Where are the cd-r or cd-rw you backed them up on? If they are the only copies you have, why are they not burned onto a cd-r? CD burners are pretty cheap today.

Old 09-08-04, 07:34 AM
las
Visiting Guest
recycle bin or system restore

I know once I fixed everything with system restore has long as you haven't deleated everything up to the last restore point?sorry to hear about the pics

Old 09-08-04, 01:37 PM
coolball1
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by ejones
Have you emptied the Recycle Bin since deleting? They may still be there.
Yes, it's been emptied since then and that was the first place I looked after discovering my mistake. I tried System Restore next with no luck.

Q: System Restore dose not restore deleted files, only the opperating system correct?

They should be in the recycle bin. If not, there are utilities out there that will allow one to recover deleted files.
This sounds like my only choice. Where can I find out more information on these utilities? I"m running XP Home.

Is there a way in the command prompt to recover these. Some type of "hacking of the drive" for lack of a better term that would allow me to recover the folder?

Thanks for all of your help!

Old 09-08-04, 01:43 PM
You are correct in that System Restore does not recover lost files. That is more the province of back ups.

I have used this to recover files before.

http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm

This is not a pretty job, but may save some of your files.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-08-04, 06:28 PM
tae
The pictures still show up in the photosuite program
can you explain this a bit more? you mean if you open up the photosuite program, you can still see the pictures, or there is just a link to where they used to be? Is there a default folder the photosuite puts pictures? if you click on the picture, will it pop up?

Old 09-08-04, 08:25 PM
coolball1
Visiting Guest
Arrrghhh

I've been at this for a few hours now with the retreval software and no luck.

tae, I can still see the actual pictures in the photosuite and change between albums but the pictures are small and will not pop up. When I click on one a message box says the file has been moved or renamed. I have just about sorted through the mess of things but the files seem to be missing for good.

It's so much fun sorting through all of the stuff I deleted and never wanted to see again ...........I want to kick my computer

wutcha think?

Old 09-08-04, 08:33 PM
What you see in photosuite are just thumbnails - very much cut-down versions of the original photos. I'm afraid it looks like your photos are gone for good. There are some forensic applications that may recover deleted files - I say MAY. But even obtaining this software is not practical in most situations.

Take it as a painful lesson. ALWAYS back up important files. Preferably to good quality CD/DVD media. Its a lot cheaper than what you stand to lose.

Old 09-09-04, 03:35 PM
coolball1
Visiting Guest
Thanks

I will be backing up everything from now on to insure this won't happen again.

Thanks to all for the help!

Old 09-09-04, 03:42 PM
las
Visiting Guest
upload to a photohost

You also could of uploaded everything to a photohost

Old 09-09-04, 09:03 PM
coolball1
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Got pictures back, new problem

I found about 300 of my missing pictures but now I have two problems.

1) The photos are being recognized but will not open. Photosuite says they exist but may be damaged. Is it possible to repair them?

2) Go figure, my computer is running faster than usual (which is good) but it's making a rumble. Only when I open/close explorer or other programs. What can I do to fix it.

Once again Thank You to everyone for helping

Old 09-09-04, 09:23 PM
tae
where did you find them? how did you recover them? where are they now? have you tried opening them with any other program? Maybe try irfanview:
http://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm

Old 09-09-04, 09:52 PM
coolball1
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by tae
where did you find them? how did you recover them? where are they now? have you tried opening them with any other program? Maybe try irfanview:
http://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm
I used file recovery software to recover the files. I recovered them back to the HD and they are stored into a folder. Thanks for the link it helped in viewing a couple more pics. When trying to open in irfanview the message reads: Cannot read file header! and Unknown file format!

Is there something else I should be looking for in the recovery files i.e. file headers to match these pics?

Old 09-09-04, 10:42 PM
tae
Old 09-10-04, 06:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Threads merged, there was no need for two.

Chris

Old 09-10-04, 01:29 PM
Received 67 Votes on 62 Posts
You need to STOP writing new data to your hard disk. That could be writing over top of your photos.

Old 09-10-04, 02:36 PM
coolball1
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by joed
You need to STOP writing new data to your hard disk. That could be writing over top of your photos.
Please tell me how to do this. All I have are floppy disks and can only save about 1 picture onto each disk without running out of room. Is there something that would hold all of my files? I'm lost here

Old 09-11-04, 05:52 PM
coolball1
Visiting Guest
I figured out how and backed up all of my current photos onto cd

Still can't get a program to recover these back after trying several

Thankyou so much to everyone. You have all been a great help

Old 09-19-04, 11:20 PM
You didnt say what recovery software you used, but the reason they have file corruptions is that, once a file is deleted, windows marks those particular disk blocks as available for use. After some time, if windows has not written any new data to that area, then your recovery software will recover the file, intact. If, however, some of that data area is overwritten, the file will be recovered with more or less errors. After quite some time, it's unlikely you will recover anything meaningful.