Display problems with new monitor

Old 09-10-04, 02:55 AM
family3
Visiting Guest
Display problems with new monitor

I added a new 19" envision diplay monitor and pictures are terrible, alot of the little boxes etc on each picture on websites or photos, videos don't play well, games are terrible. Cannot see anything plan on any games, What did I do and how can I fix it ? thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-04, 06:00 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bink

Did you set it for 800X600 32 bit true color, if not this may be the cause of your problem.

Old 09-10-04, 06:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did you ADD this monitor as a second or did you replace a monitor you had? Let's start there.

Could be many things, friend.

Chris

Old 09-10-04, 12:43 PM
family3
Visiting Guest
Smile New Monitor

Thank you both very much for the help.
I have it set at 800x600 32 bit.
This is a new monitor, Envision 19" and pictures are like squares, kids game won't appear to read lines, and every icon looks fuzzy.
I today pulled to card out of the slot, cleaned it, put it back in and nothing.
I went to NVIDIA website and downloaded a new driver and it says it isnt capatible with microsoft registration??
When I bought it I was told that this is new, up to date and capatible with any Microsoft product. I run Windows XP Home Edition.
I am stuck. I have tried safe mode, acceleration on full, etc nothing.
Do I have a bad monitor or is just set up wrong?
I appreciate your help so much.
My kid is going crazy.... she cannot play any games or learning CD's on this because of the garbled look.

Old 09-10-04, 12:47 PM
family3
Visiting Guest
800 x 600 60Hz

It is set at 800x600 32 bit true 60 hz
Could this be a driver other than the NIVIDA one I downloaded?

Old 09-10-04, 12:54 PM
Why would you run a 19" monitor at 800X600? That's a resolution used for 15" monitors. It shouldn't cause the problems you're having, unless this is a LCD monitor and is running on non-default resolution.

I would download the latest graphics driver for your video card. Ignore the warning that MS gives you. Just make sure you download the right driver from Nvidia.

Old 09-10-04, 12:59 PM
family3
Visiting Guest
800 x 600 ?

I do this because the others make the screen very very small and letters are unreadable in other settings? Maybe I am doing somethign wrong with the set up, the items in the menu on the monitor maybe?
So you saying to go to NVIDIA and download a driver that I havent yet?
I didnt download a driver for the Grpahics card.
I will try and let you know.
Thank you thank you!

Old 09-10-04, 01:06 PM
family3, to test if it's the monitor, try a different screen that you KNOW works right. Also, bump the res to 1024x768. That should still be plenty readable.

Chris

Old 09-10-04, 02:44 PM
tae
could be that you need to install monitor drivers. The computer might have specific drivers for the old monitor running, so you would need to change the settings. if you right click on a blank area of the desktop, choose properties,you get the popup for display properties. it should say plug and play monitor connected to xxx video card, or list the specific brand/model of monitor. if it has the old monitor listed, you will need to uninstall the drivers for that. click on the settings tab. you can see your resolution and color settings. If they are ok, click advanced,then monitor tab.check your refresh rate. it should be around 70 hertz.then click properties. Should tell you if it's working correctly or not, and a place to install new drivers.
new drivers are released every so often. usually for awhile, they are not microsoft certified, but should work just fine.

Old 09-10-04, 04:13 PM
family3
Visiting Guest
Thank you, still not working

I have done everyhting each of you super people have asked. I downloaded new drivers for the monitor, downloaded drivers from NVIDIA, change the resoltion and refresh rate and picture on websites are still un seeable. They all have a million pixels on them, squares....?? I tried to run my daughters gam eand cannot see the words on it.
Non eof this works? Could it be the Menu buttom on the monitor itself? Could it be a virus or corrupt file that is causing this? I have norton running too so I am really at a loss now.
Anyone got any more suggestions? I am so grateful !

Old 09-10-04, 04:30 PM
tae
whats the model number of your monitor? is it a crt or lcd?
some computers may have a built in video on the motherboard, as well as a video card installed. Make sure that you are plugging it in the right one.

Last edited by tae; 09-10-04 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-10-04, 04:56 PM
family3
Visiting Guest
En 985e

En 985 e Crt Guess I a computer dummy but I think it is CRT.

I pulled the card out of the slot today and put it back in and the monitor
plugs right into it. Same color same connections etc.

Dell computer , I hope I can say that.

Envision monitor

Thank you!

Old 09-10-04, 07:11 PM
CRT's are the TV-like things. LCD are the flat ones, similar-looking to plasma.

Ok, have you TRIED a different monitor there that you know works right? You have to try that. If the other monitor works, it's 99% probability that your new monitor is faulty.

The only other thing I could remotely think of is a degauss of the new monitor... It'll be somewhere in the new monitor panel. But I doubt that'll do anything.

Chris

Old 09-12-04, 10:30 PM
family3
Visiting Guest
Retailer says Monitor is fine !

Retailer today told me it is fine, they never have trouble with envision monitors and its a drive thats the problem. But wouldnt tell me what drive?
Video drive, Video Adapter, I am not a computer wiz by no means and with drives and more drives I dont know which one I might be missing.
I downloaded the one from NVIDIA or the board, but is there another one I need to upgrade ? I will leave you all alone after this, you have been so much help already. Thank you.....

Old 09-13-04, 04:33 AM
You "added" a monitor? Did you replace a monitor or add a second one so that there are now two monitors attached to the computer?

If you just replaced the old monitor, then the question is why. Where is the old monitor now?

Did the retailer actually check your monitor or just give you a response?

I googled it. A common theme was to keep resolution under 1024 x 768. What is the refresh rate? Set it lower than the max.
XP should recognize it as plug and play.

For everyone else - its an inexpensive flat-screen CRT.

Old 09-13-04, 06:52 AM
family3,

Don't worry about "leaving us alone". We're here to help! You're not bothering us, mate.

1. Ok, the retailer told you it was fine? Did you physically TAKE it back there and have them physically check it out?

2. Did you try a different, KNOWN GOOD monitor yet? That will verify completely if it's the new monitor or something else. You never responded to this earlier.

Please, answer those two questions and we'll go from there.

Chris

Old 09-16-04, 05:28 PM
family3
Visiting Guest
Other monitor

Thank you

I hooked up another monitor and the same thing.
It has to be a drive it is not reading or a set up thing, correct?

I havent taken it to the store yet as I was hoping I could fix it if its a drive or something I can fix.

I appreciate your time very much!

set at 960 x 600 60 hz

anything bigger I cannot see well for some reason.

Old 09-16-04, 05:51 PM
I don't know... Weird. Ok, so it's not the display itself. I don't see how it could be a drive, though. Perhaps someone else does. My guess is the video card.

Is this machine under warranty?

I would try a new video card at this point.

Chris