Need Help Sharing Internet Connection

Old 09-16-04, 11:44 AM
GOAWAY113
Visiting Guest
Question Need Help Sharing Internet Connection

Hey guys,

I have two computers in the same room that need to share a common cable connection (Optimum Online). Any ways to do this without a router?

I know how to set everything up with a router, but we just moved into the new house and have to divert 100% of our funds to the mortgage payments (we can't even spare the $100 for a router/network yet).

Any ideas, let me know...thanks!!!!

-Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-04, 11:57 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you are looking for a free solution then give up. Nothing is free.

You did not specify an operating system for either computer, or the internet connection you do have (how it physically connects to your computer), or if you have any hardware at all, so nobody can completely answer your question.

Certain versions of Windows support Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). This is the ability for one computer to share an internet connection with other computers. However, you need hardware to actually share the connection. Plus, the computer doing the sharing takes a hit in that it has to do the sharing, so this solution is not recommended for slow computers.

If you post back with more details then I can possibly better supply information.

Old 09-16-04, 12:09 PM
GOAWAY113
Visiting Guest
Question

The Main Computer Is Running Xp. The Second Computer Will Be A Laptop For The Next Couple Of Weeks (we Are Receiving A Used Desktop From A Friend, Unsure Of The Os), Which Is Running Windows Me.

I Have Cablevision's Optimum Online Which Runs Through A Cable Modem And Connects To A Usb Port On My Computer.

I'll Be Using A Crossover Cable To Share The Printer And Some Files, But Was Hoping That This Could Also Be Used To Share The Internet Access.

Thanks Again (you Also Replied To An Electrical Question I Had!)

Old 09-16-04, 12:37 PM
By crossover cable, if you mean an Ethernet cable that connects to a NIC on each PC then you have what you need. XP supports ICS (you may have to load it from the CD), so just turn it on and let it do the work. You will, of course, have to configure the network connection on both PC appropriately. There should be direction for this, and probably even a wizard to halp with the connections.

Bear in mind that the "main computer" will have to be on for the laptop to have a connection to the Internet, and that the "main computer" will be slowed down. Hoeever, unless you are downloading large files you probably won't notice the effect.

Old 09-16-04, 12:42 PM
GOAWAY113
Visiting Guest
Question

WOW! Sounds much easier than I was thinking it would be...

One question...can you clarify what you mean when you say that the main computer will be slowed down:

-Main computer will run slower all the time?
-Main computer will run slower only when the second computer is running?
-Internet connection will run slower all the time?
-Internet connection will run slower when the second computer is using the internet?

Old 09-16-04, 12:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Overall, your main system (the one with ICS running) will slow down a bit, especially when online on the second machine. It shouldn't be too bad, but ICS running and forwarding packets, etc does use resources.

Best option, though if you don't want a router. It won't be too bad.

Chris

Old 09-16-04, 12:59 PM
GOAWAY113
Visiting Guest
Thanks again! It should get us through the next few months, until we have the wireless network up and running!

Old 09-16-04, 01:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Post back if you have other questions, mate.

Chris