Which AGP card i better (ati, nvidia)

Old 09-19-04, 07:57 PM
Q
HI!!!
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Which AGP card i better (ati, nvidia)

Hello. Which AGP card would you guys prefer?

-The ATI Radeon 9800 PRO Series (128 MB)
or the
-GeForce 6800 (OC) (128 MB)

Im not worried about the price too much. Hypothetical situation: if they both were $1, which one would you get and why? (none is not an answer, neither is "thiscard" and then sell it on ebay )

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-04, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by quantex
Hello. Which AGP card would you guys prefer?

-The ATI Radeon 9800 PRO Series (128 MB)
or the
-GeForce 6800 (OC) (128 MB)

Im not worried about the price too much. Hypothetical situation: if they both were $1, which one would you get and why? (none is not an answer, neither is "thiscard" and then sell it on ebay )
The GeForce 6800 is a more advanced card than the Radeon 9800 in most respects, but there isn't very much out there other than Doom 3 that will really take advantage of it.

The ATI vs. Nvidia holy war will rage on forever. Both sides could give very compelling reasons to buy their fanboy card of choice. What's important is what you want to do, and how much you're willing to spend. Both could be overkill for what you're planning on using it for.

Old 09-20-04, 06:37 AM
A
There's no question that the 6800 is the better card. I have a 9800 Pro, and, yes, it's a great card, but it is based on technology that is already several years old (a lifetime in computer terms). The 6800 is based on newer tech, and will outmuscle the 9800 Pro in every category (except price). It's true that not many current games will yet use the newer bells and whistles, but in terms of raw speed, the 6800 would wipe the floor with the ATI card.

Old 09-20-04, 07:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ok, the 6800 is a better card, but the advantage from ATI would be that the drivers are generally more stable. IF you are a gamer, go for the 6800. If not, take the known stability from ATI.

Chris

Old 09-20-04, 11:24 AM
A
I tend to look at questions about video cards from a gamer's perspective .

Yeah, in my opinion, if you have little or no interest in games, you should be looking at something a little lower end than the 9800 Pro or 6800. Something like the ATI 9600 PRO or Nvidia 5700 Ultra will give you acceptable performance. No use paying an extra $50 - $150 for power you're never going to use.

I would tend to disagree about the drivers, though. If anything, it is ATI that has the checkered past, as far as driver support and stability goes. However, ATI has come a long way in the past few years or so as far as driver support, which had been almost nil up until a year or two ago. Now, both companies release updated drivers at about the rate of once per month, and, except in the case of extremely picky overclockers (like me ) stability is not a very big issue nowadays.

IMHO, of course .

Old 09-23-04, 10:28 AM
Q
HI!!!
Is there any ATI card that is better than the nVidia 6800 thats under $1,000 ?

Old 09-23-04, 11:18 AM
A
Again, if you're talking about gaming...

The ATI X800 Pro and X800 XT will both, as a general rule, beat the 6800. The X800 XT is currently ATI's top of the line part. Also, both the 6800GT and 6800 Ultra will beat the plain vanilla 6800 (the Ultra being Nvidia's top of the line).

In terms of GENERAL performance, in my opinion, it would go: 6800 -->X800 Pro -->6800GT --> and a tie between the 6800 Ultra and X800 XT. This is all relative, however, as one brand of cards will have an edge over the other brand depending on which game. For example, Nvidia cards are generally better for DOOM 3, whereas ATI will have an edge in Half Life 2. It all depends on the game engine and programming.

Keep in mind that, currently, both ATI's and Nvidia's premiere cards are extremely difficult to come by, and when you do find them, you will probably pay a pretty big premium for them.

The 6800 GT is relatively easy to find and offers performance that is nearly as good as the Ultra, while costing about $150 less. It's generally considered to be the best bang-for-the-buck high end video card right now. The X800 Pro is generally thought of as a bit of a dissapointment, as it costs about the same as the GT, but offers mediocre performance compared to the GT.

I would recommend the 6800 GT, as it offers nearly identical performance to the Ultra, and you can get one from Newegg right now for about 390 bucks.

Hope that helps

Old 09-23-04, 12:35 PM
Churchguy
Visiting Guest
Wow! I don't have a computer that could hope to support the 6800 gt, but based on your post AB, I'm going out and buying right away

Seriously though, I'm in awe of your passion for Agp's

laters,
me

Last edited by Churchguy; 09-23-04 at 12:36 PM. Reason: goofed a term