No image Videos

Old 09-20-04, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No image Videos

I recently built a new Shuttle XP pc. Everything works fine, runs like a cadillac, EXCEPT... when I attempt to play mpegs or avi files. I get the sound, but no image. I have Windows XP home edition. I've done troubleshooting in Windows Media Player, I've downloaded DivX, i installed the codec package from microsoft, checked my settings on players, etc... One thing I read was about an Indeo codec. Indeo website says that with newer versions of WinXP that microsoft has stopped shipping the indeo codec with this. Could that be my problem? I can purchase the indeo codec from their site, but I'd like to know first, if that's what is giving me the problem. Any help you could give me would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-04, 04:00 PM
C
Can you play them with any of the other players? Here is a list:

Wplay, MusicMatch, J.River Media Jukebox, WinAmp, Sonic, C-4, Xaudio, Breathe, Nad, MPFree, Soritong, KJofol, Digideck, Yo!MPEG, AudioActive, Virtuosa, VTT, SCMPX, Soundream, UnReal, Jet-Audio, Philips MPEGPLAYER, WinPlay3, museARC, Maplay, freeAMP, Resonate, NovaStation, UltraPlayer, EarJam, WisMP3, or the Microsoft Media Player (included in Windows).

I suppose you have seen this at Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...cdownload.aspx

Note: If you do not have Windows Media Player 9 Series or later installed and cannot play content by using the Windows Media Video 9 or Windows Media Audio 9 Voice codecs from a Player embedded in a Web page, consider downloading the codec installation package for Windows Media Player 6.4 as well.

You have the latest drivers for your video card?

Old 09-20-04, 05:32 PM
tae
there is a program called GSPOT. If you load the avi or mpeg in it, it will tell you what codec it was made with, and if you have it on your computer or not.
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Old 09-23-04, 06:08 PM
I tried the various players, and still no image, only sound. I reinstalled the drivers and nope. I did run the Gspot program and it's showing I have the Indeo codec. I have downloaded the codec packages, and called the help line for the manufacturer. I was told to d/l an SLD codec package which I did. Now, I think I have every codec known to mankind lol. Still, sound and no image. I've checked settings on players. I guess as my last resort, I'll have to call their tech line and pay them 20.00 per half hour. LOL I'm totally puzzled.

Old 09-23-04, 08:02 PM
tae
is this on every mpeg/avi?

Old 09-24-04, 05:49 AM
A
Sounds like video card driver, possibly. What kind of card is it? Update to the latest driver version. If it IS the latest version, try reverting to an earlier one. You could also try de-installing your driver and see if your videos run with the default Windows video driver.

Old 09-24-04, 06:17 AM
A
If you haven't already, take a look at this Knowledge Base article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q306317

May or may not help. Worth a look, at least...

Old 09-27-04, 04:47 AM
Thumbs up

Woo Hoo! after a week of messing with this, I got it working. When I changed my display settings to 16-bit, the mpegs started playing, but avi's wouldn't work, couldn't watch music vids or movie trailers. I ended up going into Advanced display and clicked the Troubleshoot tab... moved hardware acceleration all the way to the left (none) and checked the box that says "enable write combining." Yippeeeee... dang, it was just my settings.

Old 09-27-04, 06:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Thanks for posting back about the solution. Glad you got it working!

Chris