Airport X-Rays and CDs/DVDs?

Old 09-23-04, 08:01 AM
dandan
Visiting Guest
Question Airport X-Rays and CDs/DVDs?

Can these high powered airport X-Rays hurt CDs/DVD's, R and R-W? An office colleague claims that's how his files became corrupted.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-04, 10:38 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It is unlikely that the scanners will harm CDs because they are written by a laser. Nevertheless, it may be for your peace of mind to have them checked by hand.

Old 09-23-04, 01:33 PM
Churchguy
Visiting Guest
Just an assumption here, but the NTA (national transportation authority) claims that the x-rays are safe on other technology vunerable to electro-magnetic interference, such as Cell Phones, Zip Disks, flash memory, and lap tops to name a few. Of course items like cell phones have limited EMP protection, which would be the main concern with any scanning device.
CD's by and large are exempt from damage by scan, unless of course the method of scanning requires an Ape handler, like in the old Samsonite commercials.

Laters,
Me

Old 09-23-04, 08:04 PM
tae
the laser actually puts "pits" in aluminum, and the pits are then read as sound. It is highly unlikely that an xray would affect it in any way.

Old 09-24-04, 05:04 AM
Churchguy
Visiting Guest
hey Tae,

I thought the only time you got the aluminum product was if you have a master. I was told at one point that the copied cd's (even the majority of music CD's you buy new) are not the aluminum disc, but rather a cheaper product. To be more exact, I was told that the majority of CD's are plastic with a hair thin metal coating within the plastic. The difference between what we create on our computer and a master is that a master is the real diamond and the CD-R/RW is the vat grown diamond.

Of course it should be noted that in either case, the CD should safe in the x-ray machine since regardless of quality, the process by which the CD is created is the same as in Tae's post above.

Thanks for Listening,
Me

Old 09-24-04, 06:59 AM
Blank CD media use an organic dye, not aluminum. This is what is modified by the laser of the burner, no relation at all with stamped CD's.

Old 09-24-04, 03:06 PM
tae
Compact discs are comprised of a core, a reflective layer and a lacquer layer. The core is usually made from polycarbonate plastic but it can also be metal or etched glass. The reflective layer is usually aluminum but is occasionally gold. The lacquer layer is added for protection in handling and use.

A variety of CD formats are available. Each type of CD can vary in laminate components and vary in how the information is recorded.
The information recorded on CDs is encoded in digital form. The method of encoding the information varies depending on whether the CD is a read-only CD - CD-ROM (CD-DA and WORM) or a writable CD (CD-R and CD-RW).

Read-only CDs are made from molded polycarbonate with a spiral track of pits which hold the information. The laser reads the information from the pit. Read-only CDs are silver on both sides of the CD.

Writable CDs are made from a molded polycarbonate like read-only CDs but have dyes added to the laminate structure. As the information is being recorded by the laser onto the CD the dye becomes discoloured which results in the information being encoded. Writable CDs appear green, gold or blue on one side rather than silver on both sides.

TIPS:
Wear clean, lint-free gloves when handling CDs.
Handle CDs by their edges.
Store CDs in their polystyrene "jewel cases", polypropylene or polycarbonate cases or other archival plastic. Do not store in paper or card enclosures.
Store CDs vertically.
Do not bend or place pressure on the CD as this may lead to delamination.
Store CDs in the dark as ultraviolet light can discolour the lacquer and polycarbonate layers causing laser reading problems.
Avoid excess humidity levels (above 50%) as early CDs reflective layers have been know to oxidize. Reflective layer composition has changed over the years but excess humidity should still be avoided.
Do not label discs with self-adhesive labels. Consult the disc manufacturer to find out which type of marker pen is appropriate for the disc.

The life expectancy of a CD varies with the CD composition and storage environment. Currently, the life expectancy is thought to be anywhere from 20 200 years. Temperatures below -10C and 5% are not recommended for optical media.

Maximum Temperature

(+/- 2C in 24 hrs allowable)
Less than 23C

Maximum Relative Humidity
(+/-10% in 24 hrs allowable)
20% - 50%

References
ANSI/PIMA IT9.25-1988. Optical Disc Media Storage. New York: American
National Standards Institute.

Old 10-01-04, 06:23 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Having just spent $70 on 13 pics of my honeymoon to Jamaica (all together now, "highway robbery") - and being informed that I should not have the CD scanned at the airport as it "may damage the files", I decided to have the disc and all of my photo equipment and film hand inspected.

When I got back to the Atlanta airport and specifically requested a hand inspection, I was told (3 times, btw, by 3 different people) that the machine would not damage any of the equipment, film or discs.

Did I let them scan the equipment? No way. I know just as well as they do that the X-ray is not going to hurt that equipment, but I wasn't going to take a chance on that CD ($70?????) So, I insisted on the hand inspection.

Moral of the story - it won't hurt the disc, but why take a chance? TSA has nothing better to do - we pay their salaries (in a round about way), so make em work for it.

Old 10-01-04, 06:34 PM
tae
brandon...

Ummm....Congratulations!!!!

Old 10-01-04, 07:50 PM
HUH? Wedding bliss? I had no idea! Congrats, Brandon!

Chris

Old 10-01-04, 08:36 PM
S
Yeah, yeah, marriage is great... blah, blah, blah.

But, I think you guys are missing the real point - I PAID $70 FOR A STUPID CD WITH 13 (THIRTEEN - 1 3) PICTURES ON IT. And they aren't even Hi-Res!!!

BTW, thanks guys.

Old 10-04-04, 09:01 AM
Churchguy
Visiting Guest
Being just married myself, I'm curious: By anychance were those wedding pics? If they are, don't let the wife EVER read the previous post. If they aren't, the previous suggestion is probably still good advice ("You Paid $70 for What <insert explicative here>?!?)

Just kidding, and congrats on the wedding

Old 10-04-04, 11:54 AM
S
LOL, no not wedding pics (I don't even want to know what those costs me) - they were just our honeymoon pics. We went to Sandals Ocho Rios down in Jamaica for a week (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) and, of course, they have photographers there that take digis of the guests all week. So, instead of paying $15 per 5x7 we decided to purchase the disc with all of our pics so that we could just print them ourselves or put them online, etc. At the time, the $70 for all of those pics didn't sound bad - compared to over $100 for a couple of 5x7's and a frame - but, I got to thinking about it later (after I sobered up) and realized that I paid $70 for a CD-R with 13 digis on it.

Oh well, I guess I'm just learning the ropes of married life

Thanks again guys.

Old 10-04-04, 12:22 PM
Just to let you know, Brandon... My wedding photographer was $2000 total. My wife is Cambodian and her family doesn't know the whole American tradition of "bride's family pays", so I got stuck with almost the entire wedding bill. I paid over $6000 and my folks picked up the remainder (about another 2K).

Argh...

$70 just to bring back pix on a CD? Ouch.

Chris