adding memory

Old 09-27-04, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
adding memory

I want to add some memory to my pc. Can anybody give me explicit instructions, or is there a step -by - step somewhere. I have heard you need to be specific in which type you get so it will be compatible?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-04, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by prowallguy
I want to add some memory to my pc. Can anybody give me explicit instructions, or is there a step -by - step somewhere. I have heard you need to be specific in which type you get so it will be compatible?
The first thing you'll need to do is determine what kind of memory your computer needs.

Assuming you have a name-brand computer (or know the make and model of your computer's motherboard, if someone built it for you), you can go to www.crucial.com and use their tool to determine what kind of memory you need.

Keep in mind though, Crucial's pricing isn't necessarily stellar. With the information you get back from their tool, you may be able to find better pricing at a local Best Buy / CompUSA / OfficeMax (assuming you're not adverse to rebates).

As far as installing the memory goes, you'll usually see at least two sticks of memory and two or four open banks, with white tabs on either end.

Extend the tabs, make sure the notch in your memory matches the notch in the memory slot, then insert the memory in to the small guides. Press down on the edges of the memory stick until the white tabs snap in to place, and replace your computer's cover.

Depending on your computer, you'll probably get a message when you turn it on that says something like "Memory Changed". Most of the time, you can just hit F1 and be on your way. On some computers (Compaq comes to mind), you'll need to go in to the BIOS and re-save the settings. That's generally covered in your manual.

Old 09-27-04, 05:39 PM
tae
the easiest way is to go to www.crucial.com
just answer the questions and it will show you what you need.
otherwise, you need to know what type memory your motherboard will support, and how much, how many slots are there or open, and what type is already in there. it's not hard to replace it, just try to get a good brand, not generic, and if possible, match it to whats already there. if it's a branded computer, like gateway or dell or emachines, their website will have instructions and/or pictures about it, as will your motherboard manual.

Old 09-27-04, 07:09 PM
Thanks a lot, seems fairly simple.