DVD Burner

Old 09-27-04, 08:18 PM
smiholer
Visiting Guest
DVD Burner

I just got a new DVD burner from OfficeMax for $40 after $100 rebates, and want to know if it's any good before I open up the package. First of all, my primary goal is to convert 8mm video to DVD to watch in a standard DVD player, and make future mini-movies w/editing, effects, etc. I never plan to copy DVD's so there is no need for de-crypting software.

I have a new set up, so I know my PC can handle everything...
-Windows XP
-Intel Celeron 2.66
-512 DDR Ram
-came with 'PowerDVD'

Will the following suit my needs???

-Micro Advantage DVD+-RW/CD-RW Superdrive (Dual)
-8X DVD, 4X Rewrite, CDR 40X Rewrite 24X

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-04, 09:30 PM
tae
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
your computer should be fine to do what you want to do. You will need software to convert anything to the dvd compression. My two favs are dvd shrink(free opensource) and dvd santa. Both work great. You will need to figure out which format (+ or -) will work best/at all on your player. See the manual for that info. All of my players work just fine reading the +. I have a 12x dual burner, but never go over 4x, as this seems to give me the best results. If you want to stay on the cutting edge, the dual layer (8.5 gb.) burners are out and becoming more popular and affordable(under $200.00) than the single layer 4.7 gb. burners. I am assuming you already have the ability and knowhow and software to do the projects you have in mind, like transfering your movies, and editing, etc. Good luck and have fun!!

Old 09-28-04, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You may want to double your RAM, depending on the effects and software you're planning on using.

I wouldn't spend the money right now, though. Wait and see if the effects you're trying to render are really choppy, or take several minutes to complete.

Old 10-05-04, 02:57 PM
tonyross
Visiting Guest
As far as compatability with a stand-alone DVD player goes, the brand of DVD media will also play an important part (along with using either DVD+ or DVD-). It's mostly dependant on what your player will handle.

I've had good luck with BeAll media (you can find it online for about a buck a disk). I've been told it is one of the more forgiving brands of media. But before you go buy a whole bunch, try a few disks of several brands to see what works best with your machine.

I also agree that you should double your RAM. Video is one of the most demanding applications for yoru computer, so you will want to give it as much breathing room as you can.

Good luck.