My E-Machine will not start. Please heLP

Old 09-28-04, 07:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question My E-Machine will not start. Please heLP

My E-Machine 366 IS Tower with Windows 98 os will not start. Last night it worked fine this morning it is dead. It will not make a sound. No lights come on. The plug is in a working outlet in a working surge protector. I did check that. What do I check to find the problem? Thanks for any advice, tips and help.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-04, 07:55 AM
C
Check to make sure that the power cord is plugged into the back of the computer,too. If it still will not start, it could be a blown fuse in a surge protector, or a failed power supply. If the fan on the power supply runs, the motherboard may be fried from a surge. If the power supply won't start, it may have failed due to age or a power surge. If the power supply has failed, it can be replaced. If that does not solve the problem, the motherboard is likely fried.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-28-04, 09:08 AM
cAN i USE ANY POWER SUPPLY ie, gATEWAY FOR e-MACHINE

Hi Cris, Thanks for speedy reply. I have a larger spare gateway power supply .
Can I try usung this in the e-machine if I can squeeze it in there. Box is about 2 inches longer and 1/2 inch in dept bigger and 1 inch wider. Both say 115 volts. Both have a fan attached. Gateway replacement says Power tronic wk-6145dl3 145 w max. Original from e-machine says il55an elecom corp. model isp 120s. Both say do not remove cover. Thanks for any help.

Old 09-28-04, 09:13 AM
C
The trick can be getting another supply to fit the mounting holes. Some brands of computers have their own dimensions to accommodate.

Old 09-28-04, 09:32 AM
Can I try it??

Thank you. Can I try it? Will I fry anything/? I think I can make it fit but I wan't to be sure it's otherwise compatible. Do they have differant streangths and can I damage the computer by trying it?? All the plugs seem the same.

Old 09-28-04, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by katiefran
Thank you. Can I try it? Will I fry anything/? I think I can make it fit but I wan't to be sure it's otherwise compatible. Do they have differant streangths and can I damage the computer by trying it?? All the plugs seem the same.
It shouldn't hurt to try it, as long as you're okay with your case being open.

Most eMachine computers use standard ATX power supplies (the connector will look like a rectangle with two rows of pins). So if both power supplies have the same connector and your Gateway power supply makes your computer work, you could go online or to a nearby CompUSA / Best Buy and get a proper replacement for about $35.

Old 09-28-04, 03:14 PM
Talking It's Fixed!!!!

It's good again. I bought a power supply the right size at MicroCenter for $40.00. They had a $20.00 sale one but of coursr it was too big. It was so easy and it's good again. I'm happy again!!! Thanks for the help guys.

Old 09-29-04, 07:29 PM
tae
It was so easy and it's good again
SSHHH..... dont tell anyone. We like to keep people thinking that fixing a computer involves some kind of voodoo and magic.
I'm happy again!!!
Good for you. really, to many people are afraid of their computer. They shouldnt be. Maybe you're a computer tech in the making!!