how to locate person from email address?

Old 09-28-04, 09:34 AM
belmontram
Visiting Guest
how to locate person from email address?

Is it possible to locate some one if you only have their email address?

Old 09-28-04, 09:46 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by belmontram
Is it possible to locate some one if you only have their email address?
If they happened to register that e-mail address with an online directory like whowhere.com.

Otherwise, there's not much you can do, unless it's their work account. Even then, it's difficult to locate them if the company has a presence in many locations (e.g. @ford.com, @ge.com, @microsoft.com)

Sometimes you can check the headers for an originating IP address, and get a very general idea of where they're coming from. For instance, if I sent you a message from my ISP account, you could see that it traces to Southfield, MI (even though I live about 20 miles from there).

Old 09-28-04, 02:00 PM
belmontram
Visiting Guest
It's an aol address -- I thought it was a longshot, but thanks for the quick replies.

Old 09-28-04, 08:13 PM
J
Check thier AOL profile if they have one. They may have filled out their location there. You can do this if you have AOL, or possibly AOL instant messenger, but not sure about that. Or you could be sneaky and try to start up an instant message conversation and ask them where they are.

Another thing to try:
Go to http://hometown.aol.com/
If they have created an aol webpage, you can find it by typing in thier screenname in the "Search for member pages" box. Incase you don't know, their screenname matches the email address. Just don't include the @aol.com part. A lot of people list their location in their webpage.

Last edited by jeff67; 09-28-04 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-29-04, 05:29 AM
B
Why do you want to do that?

As a moderator on DIY and a participant on others, I do not want some crackpot tracking me down. And yes, that did happen to a participant on another forum.

I'm surprised and shocked that you have so many helpful responses.
If I found out that AOL, Earthlink, or any other ISP was providing my home address without my permission, you can bet they'd have a lawsuit.

Old 09-29-04, 05:48 AM
Churchguy
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by BobF
Why do you want to do that?

As a moderator on DIY and a participant on others, I do not want some crackpot tracking me down. And yes, that did happen to a participant on another forum.
The reality is that the difficulty in tracking someone down on the internet from just an email adress is nigh insurmountable. I know many people who don't register anything on their account info even remotely close to the truth. If someone was tracked down from another forum, more than likely they were sharing their personal info. As stated, the major isp's won't share customer info for anything less than a legal issue (or unless they sell your info to an advertiser.

Originally Posted by BobF
If I found out that AOL, Earthlink, or any other ISP was providing my home address without my permission, you can bet they'd have a lawsuit.
I agree with you on this. It's one of the reasons I choose to use a free email service for everything. However, if you feel any information here will be used in an unethical way, I would recomend strongly that you delete this thread. The information I provided is, at best, ambiguous. BTW using a People search is akin to looking in the telephone book. Better add them to list of people to sue for breaking confidentiality...

Sorry for the mess,
me

Old 09-29-04, 06:52 AM
B
Using a phone book is one thing. Unless you specifically ask for an unlisted number, it is accepted that the number will be published. BTW - companies have been sued for publishing unlisted numbers.

Old 09-29-04, 08:14 AM
Churchguy
Visiting Guest
The only thing is, using a people search is a lot easier than using a phone book, since you set parameters like age, sex, middle initial. That and most people searches are compiled from phone books and/or email registries. Imagine how suprised I was to find out I was listed and still am in white pages.com, although I'm listed under the wrong address and phone number.

Also, due to the freedom of information act, you can hunt someone down through the fed and legally, you just can't obtain SSN's, DL"S, etc. Kinda makes you think twice about flipping someone the bird on your daily commute, since they can track you through your liscense plate without much effort.

To counteract this, some states (michigan for Instance) Have enacted Stalking laws to protect the individual from harrassment from private persons. Regardless of where and how the information is obtained, if it is used to stalk a person, it is a crime.

Anyway BobF, I appreciate and agree with your point. Had I thought twice, I wouldn't have posted any help. However since the advent of the internet, no information shared online by any person, natural or artificial, is safe from prying eyes.

Old 09-29-04, 11:44 AM
belmontram
Visiting Guest
Wow -- had no idea my question would open such ethical issues -- trying to locate an ebay seller who took my money and never sent the merchandise. Ebay no help. Oh, well... thanks, everyone, for trying to help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: