Norton Ghost

Old 09-27-04, 08:03 PM
pinoy4065
Visiting Guest
Question Norton Ghost

Situation: So right now i took a HD from another computer b/c it was having booting problems and wouldnt detect the drive all the time so i backed it up using norton ghost. And then put everything as is onto a brand new drive.

Problem: The computer now boots fine with the new drive but when i get to the XP login screen it basically freezes. I think that maybe the problem might be that the drive now doesnt have the proper drive letter, and is now G:/ rather then C:/. Atleast that is my theory.

If someone can help me out and explain why it might not be working and can give me advice i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

-Andrew

Old 09-28-04, 08:22 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Did you put the new drive into the same computer that was having the problems?

Did you change the jumpers on the back of the old drive to slave and the jumpers on the new one to master? If not, the computer is still trying to boot from the old drive the master drive settings. If both are set to cable select, the computer will try to boot from the drive at the end of the cable.

Otherwise, a copy of the old drive with a corrupted boot image would have been transferred to the new drive, yielding the same problem. You could resolve this by repairing the files.

Windows assigns drive letters when it detects the drives at boot time.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-28-04, 09:06 AM
pinoy4065
Visiting Guest
Well i dont even have the old drive plugged in anymore. And the new drive is set to master. Do i need to have the old drive plugged in or something??

-Andrew

Old 09-28-04, 09:15 AM
C
Does the computer still show the drive as G:? It should show the only hard drive as C:. If this is the case, there may well be a problem with the BIOS.

Or:

I figure that the image you made transferred whatever corrupt files were causing the problem initially. Do you have the installation disk for Windows XP?

Old 09-28-04, 03:50 PM
pinoy4065
Visiting Guest
i have the installation disk for XP...but yah i cant check if the drive says G: or not b/c i cant get all the way into windows...or i guess i could check it booting up with a CD??. But orginally i changed the drive b/c i thought the drive was just failing. But are u sayin it could just be acting like that b/c of corrupted files and that the drive is probably still good?

Old 09-28-04, 07:36 PM
C
If the boot files were corrupted and caused the problem, the disk may be fine. You can look on the drive and find the warranty date. If it is out of warranty, I would not count on it any longer. If it is still in warranty, you could run Drive Fitness Test against it to see if it still certifies.

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

Now, I would work on getting the computer to boot with the new drive. If you feel comfortable working at the command line, the Recovery Console may be just the thing to fix problems. You can reach the Recovery Console by booting from the XP installation CD. Post back if you want to try this. It is not for the faint of heart, because you can wreck your system.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-29-04, 12:06 PM
pinoy4065
Visiting Guest
I'm willing to try it if you can help me through it. But what do u mean by wreck your system? Wouldnt that just wreck the windows files maybe? but i do still have a back up of the drive....

Old 09-29-04, 12:51 PM
C
In the extreme, you could render your hard drive useless. This would require formatting and installing everything from scratch.

Old 09-29-04, 12:57 PM
pinoy4065
Visiting Guest
so if i go to the recover console using a windows XP cd. What would be the next step in repairing the boot files?

Old 09-29-04, 04:49 PM
I may be wrong, but wouldnt it just be easier to do a fresh install of XP on the old HD. If that works and the drive is fine, then install the new drive as the slave and copy everything over from there that you want to save.

Old 09-29-04, 07:36 PM
A
That would be my guess, too. Many times, it's much easier to just reformat and reinstall than try to solve a tough problem, especially if you've already got a full backup of your important files. Running Drive Fitness Test is a good idea, too.

Old 09-30-04, 02:00 AM
pinoy4065
Visiting Guest
i mean you guys are definitely right..that its very easy just to do a fresh install...but the thing is i need it to work b/c i dont want to call to have the dealer of the software to come into the office just reinstall software....b/c i know i am gonna need to call them later to install more systems. so i just want to get this one running in the mean while.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: