Mouse settings changing on their own?

Old 09-30-04, 12:25 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mouse settings changing on their own?

This one has me stumped, and I've been building computers for about 10 years. I'm using a Logitech optical scroll mouse and I'm using the middle button to access the 'BACK' function in IE. I've been using the same setup for about 2 years now, without a change in hardware. Now, the setting for the middle button will change to 'UNIVERSAL SCROLL' on it's own. Sometimes, I can change it back with control panel, sometimes not. Usually it will change back by on its own, after closing Internet Explorer, or sometimes if the computer isn't used for several hours. Also, my wife has noticed that when playing Solitare, the speed of the cursor will be slow, one day, and fast the next day.

My system is Asus MB, running 1.2 AMD T'bird processor, 512 mem, running Windows ME. I'm running Norton anti-virus, Zone Alarm, and Pop-Up Stopper. I've run Ad-Aware and Spybot, and have found nothing.

Has anyone ever seen this before?

I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the mouse, with latest drivers, but it didn't help.

Thanks in advance,
Nashcat

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-04, 05:33 AM
I use the Logitech Navigator duo, cordless mouse and keyboard set. Had alot of problems like you said, though many more with the keyboard than mouse. Their support is a joke. My keyboard 'hotkeys' such as volume control, etc. constantly rearrange themselves. Try pulling the batteries out of the device, and unplugging the receiver from the ps2 in back of the tower. Let it sit for a bit and plug back in. It seems to bring mine back to life, maybe it will help yours too.

Old 09-30-04, 08:46 PM
tae
have you tried it without the logitech drivers? just letting windows install its own ? i have never had any trouble with logitech mice, except that they cant handle the stress my gaming puts on them. need new ones about every 2 months. i now have the microsoft wireless and have never had any problems.

Old 09-30-04, 11:17 PM
N
Thanks for the replies. This is not the cordless mouse, so I can eliminate some of those problems. Yes, I have tried letting Windows find new hardware and install the mouse. Everything I try, ends up the same. The mouse is working fine, now, but after I go to a few web sites, it will switch back to "UNIVERSAL SCROLL" on the middle button. It doesn't do it on a particular web site, just at random.

I've looked through the registry, at all of the mouse settings, thinking that I might have two values for the same key, but this isn't the case either.

I've even gone to the trouble of reinstalling Windows, but that didn't help either.

This would be a pretty lame excuse for a new motherboard, processor, and XP, but this thing is driving me nuts.

Thanks for the help,
Nashcat

Old 10-02-04, 12:16 AM
N
Thanks for the help. I finally found someone at work that gave me an explanation on how this could be happening. He is about 3 levels of Geek above be, but was able to explain it so that I could understand it. I'll try to repeat what he said. I haven't fixed the problem yet, but I know where to look.

It seems that when you run any Windows program, it loads a .dll file for the program that installs a associated "Wrapper" around the mouse functions. The "Wrapper" controls how the mouse will work with that particular program. An example of this would be with some photo editing programs, where you can use the mouse to click and drag to rotate an image. That rotate function would not be available in most other programs. When you close the program, the .dll function for the program should make a clean "Exit", or in other words, it should stop, and not affect other programs. In my case, it seems that I may have a corrupted .dll that is not making a clean exit. Since the 'Back' command on the mouse button, is from the Logitech .dll file, a corrupted file could possible cause the button to revert back to the Microsoft default setting which is 'Universal Scroll'. I was told that the corrupt .dll could be from any of the programs on the computer, if that certain .dll was not making a clean 'Exit'. I think I can reboot, and keep track of what programs I run, to track down the program that causes the glitch.

If I find the problem, I'll post back to let you know how things went.

Thanks again,
Nashcat

Old 10-02-04, 10:00 AM
C
Checked to make sure the insides are clean? Maybe heat-related.