Overheating PC

Old 10-01-04, 02:29 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Overheating PC

I have a problem come up that I just can't seem to find the solution for. It involves a 2.4 Gig processor and seems to act as if the system is overheating then shuts down. This will occur after about one minute of run time, the fans are working and seem to be delivering the desired speed, the power supply seems to be working find and not part of the problem, I can't seem to find a good reason for this happening and frankly I'm at a loss. Anyone run into something like this before?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-04, 05:28 PM
tae
usually overheating will cause a lockup. do you have a temp sensor in the bios?
does it do it in safemode? whats the operating system? do you log on? what if you boot to a command prompt? does it do a countdown, then shut off? some virus's will do this.

Old 10-01-04, 05:53 PM
Are the fans and heatsink clean?

Old 10-01-04, 06:34 PM
Shopman
Visiting Guest
speed

If all else fails (and you don't want to take it to a repair shop) you might try slowing down the speed of the processor a little.Certain AMD processors seems to run a lttle hot, as do a few others. It worked for me.

Old 10-02-04, 02:18 PM
the computer doesn't as much lock up as just loose power and go dead. It is work for five minutes or so the nothing. I tried a new power supply and changed out the hard drive in case it was some sort of virus, neither if these things helped. When starting it in Safemode the computer will run if it is sitting idle but as soon as you try and do anything 5 minutes is the longest you can hope for. Any ideas

Old 10-02-04, 02:27 PM
Insidently the origional operating system of the first hard drive I had in it was XP the second hard drive had 98 on it

Old 10-02-04, 07:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Let's start simple. When you boot, go into the BIOS, and watch the temperature for a few seconds. What's the temp? Is this a Pentium, Athlon, what?

Chris

Old 10-03-04, 04:34 PM
The computer is an AMD 2000XP, when booting up the cpu is 54 degrees C.
I changed the settings in the computer to bring it done from high performance to 100 mhz and that allowed more time before going down now instead of 5 minutes the computer will work for about two hours then go down.

Old 10-03-04, 06:46 PM
By any chance, did you...

remove/disturb the processor's heatsink for any reason? If so, you may just need to clean the processor and heatsink and apply new heatsink compound.
Some other ideas.... is the fan on the heatsink turning? If not, check to be sure that it's plugged into the motherboard. If there is an excessive amount of dust on the processor's heatsink/ fan it will cause it to run warmer than normal, but shouldn't overheat. Try removing any dust.
Did you add or change anything in the computer before this? Hardware or software? How long have you had the computer?

Last idea...you may want to try to run it in a "stripped down configuration". Disconnect the power connectors on any other drives (Cd-Rom's, DVD's etc.) execpt the main hard drive. Remove any add-in cards that you don't absolutely need to power up and run, such as ethernet cards, usb cards, modems, etc. Leave your video card and any add-in controllers for the hard drives. Try running it for a little while like this and see if you get the same problems. This may help narrow things down.

Old 10-04-04, 06:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by gard
The computer is an AMD 2000XP, when booting up the cpu is 54 degrees C.
Ok, that's a tad high for simply booting up, but it's not absurd, so I don't think heat is the specific problem. I've seen computers run much higher.

It's something else. First, check to make sure that the proc is installed correctly. If that checks out, do what Desy said above. Remove devices one at a time and boot until you can hopefully narrow down the problem. It's painstaking and annoying, but it should enable you to nail the problem.

Chris

Old 10-04-04, 06:08 AM
How about a rundown of your system specs? Graphics card/what kind? What other add-in cards are installed (sound card, network interface card, etc.)? How many hard drives do you have? If you've recently added something new to your case, or rerouted some cables, you may have inadvertently caused a disruption in airflow that is causing your case to overheat.

There are certainly other components in your case that could cause your system to overheat - graphics cards (especially if it's relatively new and/or high end), and hard drives (especially if you have multiple and/or they are high performance) in particular are sources to look at. Check to make sure that the fan on your video card is running. Some video card fans are notoriously failure-prone.

If you haven't done so already, buy a can (or two) of compressed air and blast everything in your case with it (except for CD/DVD drives). Pay particular attention to the heatsink fins on your CPU and vid-card.

Old 10-04-04, 06:22 AM
Thanks I will try the suggestions tonight when I get home. There had been no new work done on the computer in at least six months, I have since this started cleaned everything and made sure the fans were working properly. The video card is a suppose to be a high performance one although I have no idea what it is without looking, I'll check that tonight. Is it possible this could be related to the ram I noticed the chips themselves seemed a little hot last time the computer went down now this could be normal considering what is happening just thought I would ask.

Old 10-04-04, 02:12 PM
Do you do a lot of gaming? I'm assuming so since you say you've got a high end card.

No, it isn't unusual for RAM to get very hot, even uncomfortable to touch. RAM chips can withstand fairly high temps without much of a problem. If you didn't lose any skin when you touched the RAM, than it's probably OK, temperature-wise . That is, assuming it was being stressed (i.e. gaming, etc) when you touched it. If it gets very hot when doing simple stuff (i.e. web surfing) then I might be worried.

One other thing to consider, though - faulty RAM can cause erratic behaviour. You can also have problems when mixing sticks of different types or brands. A good program for testing RAM is memtest (http://www.memtest86.com/ ). It must be run from a floppy on bootup (it's OS independent, so it doesn't run out of Windows or Linux, etc). Let it run for a while and see if it returns any errors.

Old 10-04-04, 09:08 PM
"The computer is an AMD 2000XP, when booting up the cpu is 54 degrees C."

I assume you mean soon after boot-up? I have the same processor and from my experience, 54 C soon after boot-up IS excessive. Mine heats up quickly to 38-40, but then only a very gradual rise, even running @ 100% CPU usage. Even then it never goes over around 50C.

You seem to be saying you have had the computer for some time, so I would be checking maybe the cpu fan motor for rotational speed. Do you use the Asus monitor that came with the CPU? If so, is the CPU fan checking turned on?

Old 10-04-04, 10:24 PM
My computer is a 2 ghz intel. With 4 case fans installed my cpu tempurture is usually 60 to 70 degrees F on cold days, 80 hot days, and 120 on very hot days. A computer really becomes unstable over 150 F. The danger zone is over 150 F, and 150 is approching it. If your computer is 50 C, that means you should be running around 90 to 100 F. My guess is something else is the culprit. Remember, your CPU is not the only thing you have to worry about. You have a system zone that heats up quite a bit to. Including memmory, hard drives, ETC. And if you have a high end video card such as a G-Force 5900 or 6800, then that is a large source of heat as well. You should check to make sure it is not dusty and that the fan on the card is running fully. Also check your power supply. Make sure the volts are not fluctuating. Fluctuating vultiges could also cause computer lockup. My Two Cents...

Old 10-06-04, 06:11 PM
jonmiles
Visiting Guest
We have a 140GBHD 2.4 Ghz-256MB etc emachine that was given to us brand new at christmas last year. The pc was not used hardly at all and within 6 months started shutting down after 30 min of use. It did this a few times and then stopped doing it. We thought this was strange and expected it to return in the future. Well, it did and then started shutting down within 15 min. and then you reboot only to have it shut down in 10 min. and reboot to have it shut down in 5 min. and if you keep rebooting it will shut down as soon as it starts up. It is under warranty so we took it back to Best Buy and they sent it to the emachine repair center ? They just called us today and said the power supply was replaced along with the RAM/memory. You mentioned replacing the power supply but your problem sounds just like ours so I wanted to comment.

Good Luck