computer is locked

Old 10-15-04, 07:27 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
computer is locked

I do not know why but my pretty new laptop HP pavilion ZE 5400 running windows XP home is locked. When I turn it on I get a message that says: This computer is in use and has been locked.
Only your-6BVPXZTOQ\michael vanhaagen or administrator can unlock this computer.
Then it has a place for user name and password.
This is my backup computer that I use in case the main one has problems or my wife is on the main one.

We are using a wireless router on it since it sits in my spare room. It was working fine last time about a week ago when I used it.
I removed the battery and put it back in that did not help I pushed ALT CTR delete also no help.
Thanks for all the help.
Michael

Old 10-15-04, 08:03 AM
R
Someone locked the computer.

Enter a username and pasword of someone with administrator privlidges and you will be fine.

Old 10-15-04, 08:49 AM
M
not that easy

I wish it were that easy the mouse works fine butwhen I type my name were it says user name nothing happens.Almost like the keyboard is not working.
And if I just press the OK on the bottom of the message I get another message with a big red circle with a X in the middle that say this computer is locked.
I have a wallpaper and the message that is all I can get.

Old 10-15-04, 09:05 AM
R
Click your mouse on the space for user name. They type. If that doesn't work then boot up in safe mode.

Old 10-15-04, 09:16 AM
M
safe mode

How do you get to safe mode? and then what do I do?The little line by user name that shows it is ok to type in that square is blinking but the letters are not typing into it.

Old 10-15-04, 09:50 AM
R
Make sure that your keyboard is properly connected.

The below is taken from the Help screen. You can generally find out just about verything you ever wanted by using help.

To start the computer in safe mode
You should print these instructions before continuing. They will not be available after you shut your computer down in step 2.
Click Start, click Shut Down, and then, in the drop-down list, click Shut down.
In the Shut Down Windows dialog box, click Restart, and then click OK.
When you see the message Please select the operating system to start, press F8.
Use the arrow keys to highlight the appropriate safe mode option, and then press ENTER.
If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access using the arrow keys, and then press ENTER.

Old 10-15-04, 11:35 AM
M
Will not work

The key board is connected because it is on my laptop and as far as going to safe mode I can not get out of the lock screen.I am using my other computer to write all this info.
I am stuck in the unlock computer screen.The only thing that works is the mouse curser.I can drag the mouse all over the screen but there is nothing to drag it to except the little block that says OK under the user name/password and when I click on it I get a message that says This computer is locked.

Old 10-15-04, 11:37 AM
M
Forgot

Forgot to tell you I have no start up screen only my wallpaper.As soon as I turn on the computer I get the message in the middle of the wallpaper

Old 10-15-04, 11:38 AM
R
Turn off the computer and restart it. You enter safe mode as the computer is beginning to boot up.

Old 10-15-04, 01:49 PM
M
fixed

OK update I am now on the laptop.As I was rebooting I pushed f8 button and somehow it fixed it. I guess f8 is for safe mode but it never went to safe mode it just fixed the problem.Anyhow thanks a million for your time and help to fix my laptop.

Old 10-15-04, 02:15 PM
R
Glad it's fixed.

Old 10-15-04, 03:24 PM
dmr139
Visiting Guest
I was just reading through your thread. From what I can gather, you laptop went in to hibernation mode. Essentially the machine must have sat idle for a long time or possibly you closed the lid after it sat idle.

Trying to enter safe mode, dropped you out of "restarting" from hibernation and Rebooting.

Old 10-15-04, 04:41 PM
M
thats right

Thats right this laptop does sit idle for weeks I think you are right.I always put it in standby mode.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: